Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

Sean McVay: I got out-coached

Rams coach Sean McVay’s coaching acumen has been praised far and wide over his two seasons in Los Angeles, but no one is singing his praises after Super Bowl LIII.

The Rams managed 260 yards of offense in their 13-3 loss to the Patriots and McVay didn’t hold back when it came to assigning blame for the loss. He said in his postgame press conference that "I got out-coached” and criticized himself for not doing more to get running back Todd Gurley "in a flow” during the game.

"I’m almost numb … They did great job but it was mostly result of me doing a poor job calling plays and not giving us a chance to win. I don’t know how you ever get over this,” McVay said in an interview with Ed Werder of Westwood One.

At 33 years old, McVay should have a long run ahead of him to prove he can find a way to get past this loss and learn from what went wrong to do a better job of coaching in a big game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/03/sean-mcvay-i-got-out-coached/

Yep McVay was outcoached and Goff was terrible.  The Pats were fortunate they were playing the Rams today or they probably wouldn't have won.  I doubt Brees and Foles would've played that bad.  Even Trubisky might've played better than Goff did.

When someone young is fast tracked and then faces a legend, they lose. He wasn't ready. This loss is one of many dues he must pay before he gains the requisite experience to eventually carve out his own legend.

No ish Sherlock. You were like a deer in the headlights. The Pat's just got lucky the Eagles lost earlier.  🙂

Good for him for just flat out admitting it.  I told everyone the past two weeks I would have been just as pissed as Saints fans are about the PI if the shoe were on the other foot, but I also knew McVay would have handled it with class and not like the whiny POS Sean Payton.

I'm glad he's owning this, but can we stop with the BS about Todd Gurley being healthy? Once you're using CJ Anderson on screen plays, any pretense is gone.  I know they're just trying to be magnanimous and not make excuses, but the season's over.  We deserve to know what the hell was going on. 

2 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

Good for him for just flat out admitting it.  I told everyone the past two weeks I would have been just as pissed as Saints fans are about the PI if the shoe were on the other foot, but I also knew McVay would have handled it with class and not like the whiny POS Sean Payton.

I'm glad he's owning this, but can we stop with the BS about Todd Gurley being healthy? Once you're using CJ Anderson on screen plays, any pretense is gone.  I know they're just trying to be magnanimous and not make excuses, but the season's over.  We deserve to know what the hell was going on. 

They should've given Anderson about 30 carries today as crazy as it sounds. They put way too much on Goff and he wasn't ready for it.  

We need to know the real story behind this because in some aspects it could be considered criminal fraud.

The Rams need to clear themselves of any wrongdoing.

This is nothing like the Patriots benching a CB who gave up a 100+ passer rating when targeted in 2017 and was coming off an illness.

Gurley is one of the 3 best RBs in the league and he was played like he was Wendell Smallwood.

I suspected all the way since the preseason that the Rams overrated O-Line would do them at some point deep in the playoffs.  But holy balls, I didn't think it would be this pathetic against a no-name front like New England.  Jailbreaks twice a drive, it was ridiculous.

Just another confirmation that Pedersen has been overlooked by the media slobbering all over McVay. 

Pedersen SHOULD have won coach of the year last year, he's beaten McVay twice head to head in McVay home field, and sure as sh-- didn't get outcoached against belechick and brady in the super bowl.  Pedersen, for 2 years, also had to overcome major injuries to major contributors.

McVay, while he has done a nice job, has been way over hyped and is overrated.  That "hi powered" offense sputtered all night.

Just now, birdman#12 said:

McVay, while he has done a nice job, has been way over hyped and is overrated.  That "hi powered" offense sputtered all night.

Spot on! That high powered offense barely got anything going all night. The Patriots D swarmed them and there was nothing creative about the play calling at all. 

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Spot on! That high powered offense barely got anything going all night. The Patriots D swarmed them and there was nothing creative about the play calling at all. 

It's hard to tell how creative the gameplan was when the blocking was getting blown up every play.  I'd like to see the tape breakdown on how BB did it, we have seen the Rams O-Line get out-muscled before but the Pats looked like the '85 Bears last night.  I want to know where the adjustments for the blocking scheme were.  I get letting that happen to you for a half, but all game?

Anyone who watched the NFCCG could have predicted this would happen. Sean Payton's hubris was the only thing that got the Rams to the Super Bowl in the first place.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

It's hard to tell how creative the gameplan was when the blocking was getting blown up every play.  I'd like to see the tape breakdown on how BB did it, we have seen the Rams O-Line get out-muscled before but the Pats looked like the '85 Bears last night.  I want to know where the adjustments for the blocking scheme were.  I get letting that happen to you for a half, but all game?

You're right, to an extent. However, it's up to the coaching staff to understand that the Patriots favorite thing to do in big spots is to stunt and blitz a linebacker in the A Gap. It's as though the Rams had no idea it was coming.

The thing that I still do not understand is Gurley. It is the last game of the year, the Pats are trying to take away the run and you just allow them to do that.

He should have just ran the ball over and over again and ran it more to the outside then inside. Use both backs to get it done.

11 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

When someone young is fast tracked and then faces a legend, they lose. He wasn't ready. This loss is one of many dues he must pay before he gains the requisite experience to eventually carve out his own legend.

I'm glad he lost, his head had gotten too big, maybe this will humble him but I doubt it.  

10 hours ago, skippyx said:

Gurley is one of the 3 best RBs in the league and he was played like he was Wendell Smallwood.

The Rams lost because McVay felt as though he owed Gurley touches, he should have ran the ball with CJ Anderson. 

As I've said before, some backs pack the stands and other backs pack the trophy case, Anderson is a trophy case packer.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Apparently the Pats ran a bunch of 6 man fronts with just a single high safety on the back end, controlled all the gaps shutting down the run forced goff to beat man coverage well forced mcvay to beat man and for whatever reason mcvay was lost like hed never seen a 6 man single high defense.

Its a balsy defense for BB to play but BB has been around and if you dont adjust hes gonna win and thats what happened.

Kind of makes one appreciate the eagles win last year a little more if thats possible

The Rams players did not execute. They also did not have a Plan B for Gurley when he showed up Sunday and wasn't a full go. It's a team loss. Shows good character for McVay to take the blame. The Patriots did a good job stopping CJ Anderson, and let's face it, he's not the same caliber player as Gurley. The Patriots came up with a good plan on defense and the Rams didn't adjust.

Or the Patriots knew the play before it was run.....🤔

Gurley was hurt?  So what? 

With the amount of injuries the eagles have endured the last 2 years, I don't want to hear about teams dealing with injuries.  Too f----- bad that the rams top RB was hurt. Try losing your top 3 RBs.  The rams have ZERO quality depth.