Wallyhorse

Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

Super Bowl LIII  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't think it was but people I know were saying it would be well ahead of kickoff:

In their minds, they felt the NFL could not afford to have the Rams win after the NFC Championship Game debacle in New Orleans and said beforehand the NFL would fix this game to make sure the Pats won and then said afterwards given the low score they felt the Rams lost intentionally because otherwise, Saints fans would be angered.

To me, whether fixed or not I think the Pats are going to wind up with an asterisk next to this title for things they could not control, especially the NFCCG debacle. 

Watch Baldy's play analysis. 

Cheatriots knew exactly what was coming.   

I dunno.  Maybe.   The Pats played probably their worst game of the season and still won.  They got a little help from the refs, but not much.  Based on the Pats history, you have to think that Belichick takes "competitive advantages" anywhere he possibly can.  

Then again, maybe not.  VInce Lombardi once said that more football games are lost than won.  That was this game exactly.  The Rams lost because Goff was wildly inaccurate all night long and Gurley was a huge disappointment.    

I dont think the NFL really cares about a bunch of whiny Saints fans. In a month nobody will care about that game and will have moved on.

4 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I dunno.  Maybe.   The Pats played probably their worst game of the season and still won.  They got a little help from the refs, but not much.  Based on the Pats history, you have to think that Belichick takes "competitive advantages" anywhere he possibly can.  

Then again, maybe not.  VInce Lombardi once said that more football games are lost than won.  That was this game exactly.  The Rams lost because Goff was wildly inaccurate all night long and Gurley was a huge disappointment.    

That may be true.  I did not use Gurley in DFS for the Super Bowl because I thought he was still injured.  He may say he's fine, but I suspect we are going to find out in a month or so the knee was in much worse shape than anyone thought and he had to have surgery on it (John Jastremski on WFAN early Monday morning basically said almost the same thing).

If it was fixed as some think, it was because of things the Pats had no control about, specifically the NFCCG debacle.

6 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

I dont think the NFL really cares about a bunch of whiny Saints fans. In a month nobody will care about that game and will have moved on.

Those "whiny Saints fans" will NOT move on from this.  I'm sure some fans would like the NFL to make the Pats play the Saints this week in what would be "The Real Super Bowl" in their minds.   There are those who felt the Rams should have forfeited their Super Bowl bid because of how the game ended (and not all of those were Saints fans).  Of course, the Saints hold on defense, Brees doesn't throw a pick, and all of this is moot. 

No, the Super Bowl was not fixed. If it was, they would have made it much more entertaining.

If anything, the conference championships were rigged: They got their east coast (New England) vs. west coast (Los Angeles) matchup. Those markets are bigger than New Orleans and Kansas City, so they already got their ratings before the game even started.

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

That may be true.  I did not use Gurley in DFS for the Super Bowl because I thought he was still injured.  He may say he's fine, but I suspect we are going to find out in a month or so the knee was in much worse shape than anyone thought and he had to have surgery on it (John Jastremski on WFAN early Monday morning basically said almost the same thing).

If it was fixed as some think, it was because of things the Pats had no control about, specifically the NFCCG debacle.

Those "whiny Saints fans" will NOT move on from this.  I'm sure some fans would like the NFL to make the Pats play the Saints this week in what would be "The Real Super Bowl" in their minds.   There are those who felt the Rams should have forfeited their Super Bowl bid because of how the game ended (and not all of those were Saints fans).  Of course, the Saints hold on defense, Brees doesn't throw a pick, and all of this is moot. 

Eventually they will move on. Every fanbase at one time or another has had a bad call (or non call) effect a game or season at one point or another. The Eagles had a bad non call on Kevin Curtis, who was interfered with in Arizona. We ****ed about it, but got over it. We all eventually move on.

Those whiny fans will move on as well. Eventually they will figure out that the referee did not tell the Saints defense to stop playing with less then two minutes left in the game when they had the lead or tell Brees to throw an interception in overtime when they had the ball.

Sorry this is now getting to be borderline insane - especially some far fetched conspiracy theory that the game was fixed because of it.

Anyone within the NFL who would be 'fixing' games, especially the Super Bowl, would be facing serious prison time if caught.

12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Anyone within the NFL who would be 'fixing' games, especially the Super Bowl, would be facing serious prison time if caught.

Agreed, but that doesn't stop those who think it WAS fixed.

Unless McVay took a bride to go down I don’t see how it could have been

Pats offense didn’t even play that well. There wasn’t any questionable penalties IIRC. Rams offense just sucked. 

I hope Rams defense was going after their offense because that was just sad

I think the NFL to some degree or another is fixed, but I don't feel like the Super Bowl was. It would have been much more thrilling if it was. 

Fixed? No. Too many people would be involved to keep it quiet.

Does the NFL desperately want a team to succeed in the L.A. market? Yes. 

Enough to fix games? No.

Next question???

45 minutes ago, toolg said:

No, the Super Bowl was not fixed. If it was, they would have made it much more entertaining.

If anything, the conference championships were rigged: They got their east coast (New England) vs. west coast (Los Angeles) matchup. Those markets are bigger than New Orleans and Kansas City, so they already got their ratings before the game even started.

This is a bit of a myth. California, SoCal specifically, is not a huge NFL market. Yes, LA is the 2nd largest city (if you call a bunch of suburbs smacked together a "city") with a population of about 3.4 million people but LA is not like the East Coast or the mid-west in the sense that it's too cold to go outside and do anything so you're going to hunker down in front of your television all winter. That doesn't really exist out here. That's why football teams keep leaving LA.

The Rams left before, the Chargers left before. Most Chargers fans are still coming up from San Diego to the games. It will be a long time before there are any "LA Chargers" fans. I think within 10 years the Chargers will be back in San Diego.

The Rams, who had some glory days in LA, well even most of their fans have always been from the valley.  Even the Raiders, who at the time of their move were one of the NFL's most recognizable "brands" couldn't make it there. 

Both of the "LA" teams are going to rely on opposing teams' fans to help sell out their stadiums for some years to come, because the local interest just isn't there. 

If I were going to argue that the game was fixed, it's not because of penalties are obvious referee decisions, but the game plan. Every team, at one point or another during the season does the exact opposite in a game than what has made them successful.

Case in point: The Rams are going to beat you because of Gurley/Anderson. They are not an "air it out" team. They have a good balance, but they're going to beat you on the ground. Yesterday they had Goff airing it out all day, and quite frankly, he's not a very good passer. When a team completely abandons what got them there in the first place, you have to start to wonder. 

Still, if it was "fixed" it would have been more entertaining. 

With all the sh-- the NFL has stepped in lately, the idiotic anthem protests, the inconsistent personal conduct policy, the poor officiating, the ridiculous player protection penalties among other things, the last thing they need is to fix a super bowl.....and get caught.

Sometimes a team gets to the super bowl who simply shouldn't have.......the rams were one of them.  Not because of a missed call, but because they really aren't that good.  I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs next year.

And if any super bowl was fixed, sooner rather than later, somebody would talk or write a book about it and cash in.

4 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Sometimes a team gets to the super bowl who simply shouldn't have.......the rams were one of them.  Not because of a missed call, but because they really aren't that good.  I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs next year.

What? The Rams were early favorites back in August.  LINK 

"According to OddsShark, the Rams have the second-best Super Bowl odds in the NFL this season"

I never once thought there was a fix. I thought the game was actually pretty well officiated all things considered. Only questionable call was a unnecessary roughness penalty on the Rams on a screen pass. It was weird, if that was a pass play that was 15 yards down the field I see them calling it all through this season. But the ball travelled like 5 yards in the air and the defender was right beside him as he caught it, not sure he lined him up or anything, the guy made a move to turn into him and he was already basically standing there.

The Rams just stunk. Unless Goff was paid off to throw wildly inaccurate passes and miss his open guys, I can't see how you can look at that game and call it fixed. The Patriots also played pretty poorly all things considered, being only able to get chunk plays here and there but only string together 3 scoring drives despite having the ball what felt the entire game was also a poor showing.

Even though it needed fixing, it definitely was not - the Rams' offense looked broken to me in that game. 😉