Wallyhorse

Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

Super Bowl LIII  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

• Yes
    • No

As with all such conspiracy theories...  Too many people would have to know.  It would come out.

Would really happened is that the over-hyped wonderkid got his a** kicked.  He's not Doug.  Goff isn't Foles.  The Boy-Sheep OL & DL just aren't as good as the Eagles.  Etc.  They got beat, and it wasn't nearly as close as the score made it look.  The end.

3 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

Sorry this is now getting to be borderline insane - especially some far fetched conspiracy theory that the game was fixed because of it.

There are people I know who either passed on betting the Rams (not betting at all) or actually changing their bets to the Patriots because they thought that would happen.

That said, it likely was not fixed but it was more the ineptness of the Rams.  Michael Kay in the opening of his show on 98.7 ESPN in New York on Monday went as far to say that Jared Goff may not be with the Rams after a while because he was heavily exposed in this game by Bellichek.  

If anything it was fixed to snuff out the Kapernick movement once and for all and restore the "Patriots" back at the top visiting their chums at the whitehouse,  Pat super bowl win saves old white men corporatism😒

3 hours ago, DMMVP said:

They didn't have to, Goff was the opposing QB.

Heard on the radio that Belichick basically re-did his whole defense because he thought Goff would not be able to figure out zone coverage.  And.... Belichick was right.  Again.

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I didn't think it was but people I know were saying it would be well ahead of kickoff:

In their minds, they felt the NFL could not afford to have the Rams win after the NFC Championship Game debacle in New Orleans and said beforehand the NFL would fix this game to make sure the Pats won and then said afterwards given the low score they felt the Rams lost intentionally because otherwise, Saints fans would be angered.

To me, whether fixed or not I think the Pats are going to wind up with an asterisk next to this title for things they could not control, especially the NFCCG debacle. 

lol who are the people you know saying it?  Joe at the corner bar down the street?

1 minute ago, bergey03 said:

lol who are the people you know saying it?  Joe at the corner bar down the street?

As noted, people who either did not bet the game at all or actually changed their bets to the Pats based on that view (and said so before the game kicked).

19 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

There are people I know who either passed on betting the Rams (not betting at all) or actually changing their bets to the Patriots because they thought that would happen.

That said, it likely was not fixed but it was more the ineptness of the Rams.  Michael Kay in the opening of his show on 98.7 ESPN in New York on Monday went as far to say that Jared Goff may not be with the Rams after a while because he was heavily exposed in this game by Bellichek.  

Ehh that might be going to far. I think a lot of this falls on McVay's shoulders.

As silly as it sounds, they needed to run the ball more against them, but they needed to run more on the outside instead of the inside. They would have found some success eventually and then they would be able to settle into their game of play action and what not.

When they abandon the run too early, they end up losing. That is exactly how the Eagles beat them.

2 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

As noted, people who either did not bet the game at all or actually changed their bets to the Pats based on that view (and said so before the game kicked).

Who are these people making the bets?

3 hours ago, Fireeagle27 said:

Awful lot of penalties called to help the Patriots... that I saw anyway between naps.  BORING

i watched paint dry during the game.  more fun

Yes the league fixed it so they would have the lowest scoring lowest rating super bowl ever.... The Rams were scared and unprepared. If they are gonna fix the damn thing then at least fix it so it's a high scoring game. 

Also I thought you said they are still punishing the saints for bountygate?? Make up your mind wallyhorse

Also I thought you said they need the Rams in the super bowl cause the league needs it? So they put them in just to score 3 points

What exactly were the logistics of this supposed "fix"?  There were hardly any penalties called on either team so the only way the game could be fixed would be to have the players/coaches intentionally not perform well.  Sounds plausible to me. 

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Yes the league fixed it so they would have the lowest scoring lowest rating super bowl ever.... The Rams were scared and unprepared. If they are gonna fix the damn thing then at least fix it so it's a high scoring game. 

Also I thought you said they are still punishing the saints for bountygate?? Make up your mind wallyhorse

Also I thought you said they need the Rams in the super bowl cause the league needs it? So they put them in just to score 3 points

Lol, that'll draw in those LA sports fans. Lakers and Dodgers, look out!

36 minutes ago, 55thAndRams said:

Just looking around the Saints board on reddit, it's amazing how many idiots out there actually think the NFL is rigged. 

I've told people that believe that the league is 'fixing' or 'rigging' games that if they believe that to be true, then there's absolutely no reason for them to ever watch another NFL game. If even a single game is 'rigged' by the league, then nothing else matters.

Could there be a 'dirty ref'? Absolutely. Just look back at the NBA scandal from several years ago and you know it could happen in the NFL. A 'dirty ref' could see DPI and not throw the flag, or he could see any given play and throw (or not) a flag for holding. All a dirty ref has to do is flag a few plays that otherwise wouldn't have been flagged, and he can alter the game.

4 hours ago, toolg said:

What? The Rams were early favorites back in August.  LINK 

Of course they were, they were the offseason signing champ......free agents, trades.....they were most active.  But they have almost no quality depth, and that defense was way overrated and their season long stats proved it.  Every year, there's that one team that goes 13-3 or 12-4 but they really aren't that tough.  That's the rams.  I bet they don't even make the playoffs next year.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Could there be a 'dirty ref'? Absolutely. Just look back at the NBA scandal from several years ago and you know it could happen in the NFL. A 'dirty ref' could see DPI and not throw the flag, or he could see any given play and throw (or not) a flag for holding. All a dirty ref has to do is flag a few plays that otherwise wouldn't have been flagged, and he can alter the game.

Of course it's a possibility, but I think it would be more glaring than you're assuming.  It takes a lot more than one or two bad holding or pass interference calls/non-calls to say you're "altering the outcome of the game."   Just look how much attention one blatantly horrible missed call garnered.    Remember, refs are evaluated strenuously for their performance; it's just all behind closed doors to protect the integrity of the process.  If there's a pattern of a ref being just plain horrendous at his job, he'll be let go just for that, regardless of whether any criminal doings were alleged or proved.  

1 minute ago, 55thAndRams said:

Of course it's a possibility, but I think it would be more glaring than you're assuming.  It takes a lot more than one or two bad holding or pass interference calls/non-calls to say you're "altering the outcome of the game."   Just look how much attention one blatantly horrible missed call garnered.    Remember, refs are evaluated strenuously for their performance; it's just all behind closed doors to protect the integrity of the process.  If there's a pattern of a ref being just plain horrendous at his job, he'll be let go just for that, regardless of whether any criminal doings were alleged or proved.  

I don't think that it would take more than a call here or there, not if the game is close. Take the NFC Championship game as an example. Now, I don't believe that anything was 'deliberate' in that game, it's just the most recent game where an obvious error was made.

If that ref was 'dirty', how hard would it be for him to just say 'I thought it was tipped, so no DPI is possible'? The big argument against that particular play being 'rigged' by a 'dirty ref' though, is that there were other refs that could have thrown a flag. So in that case, multiple refs would have had to have been 'dirty'.

But the line between winning and losing (in many cases), is so narrow that very small things can alter the outcome of a game. On that drive by the Saints, if Payton calls run plays instead of pass plays, maybe we're sitting here talking about the Saints getting blown out by the Patriots. Or vice-versa.

So in reality, the NFC title came down to the idiot Saints coach calling a couple of pass plays rather than a couple of run plays. I don't think Saints fans want to acknowledge that little tidbit though.

The only thing approaching a fix was the way the Rams were lying about Gurley's health and upcoming usage.

If the game was fixed, it would've been fixed for the Rams because the NFL wants to be successfull in LA.

15 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Who exactly thinks the Super Bowl was fixed?

1CF21D18-CC07-4B2C-868C-72AF9F0175C4.jpeg

13 hours ago, 55thAndRams said:

What exactly were the logistics of this supposed "fix"?  There were hardly any penalties called on either team so the only way the game could be fixed would be to have the players/coaches intentionally not perform well.  Sounds plausible to me. 

The thinking was, the Rams winning it all after the NFCCG debacle would have resulted in many, especially Saints fans thinking the NFL was clearly trying to make the Rams relevant in the eyes of many in LA and take luster off the Lakers and LeBron by winning a title (as I remember, Georgia Frontierre moved the Rams to St. Louis after the 1994 season because she was "sick and tired" of playing second fiddle to the Lakers, who have been the #1 team in LA since the "showtime" days of the 1980's with the Dodgers a strong second, not too far back).  

Oh, and New Orleans' TV rating for the Super Bowl was only 26, lowest since it became a metered market AND down over 50% from past years. 

So in order to avoid the Rams being relevant, they had McVay play Gurley sparingly, and asked Goff to play the worst game of his life?

And McVay and Goff were ok with this? People believe that?

Some people think the Earth is flat, so I guess anything is possible. 

just my opinion here but the pre-game, entire game (game, play calls & refs included) and post-game looked like a scripted WWE episode.