Wallyhorse

Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

Super Bowl LIII  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Was Super Bowl LIII Fixed?

• Yes
    • No

I remember back when the Patriots won their first, people said the NFL was scripted to make a team named the Patriots win the Superbowl following 9/11. They added that the Patriots weren't good and Tom Brady would fade into obscurity.

Now the same people are claiming that the NFL made the Patriots win their 6th to help uphold the belief in the original fix. 

It may not have been "fixed" but the refs again made some head scratching calls that always seemed to help the Patriots keep a drive alive.  How much fun would pro football be to watch and play if backyard rules were followed instead of all of these judgement call penalties.  Refs always made bad calls, but is it me or does it just seem like there are more now and that these calls are having a direct impact on the outcome of games?  Some teams can fight through  these bad calls and still win, but why should they have to????

5 hours ago, Wormlegs said:

just my opinion here but the pre-game, entire game (game, play calls & refs included) and post-game looked like a scripted WWE episode.

Don't know about that, I think it was really McVey being inept and totally in awe of being in the game in the first place.  Would not be the first time that happened (remember Super Bowl XXIV when the 49ers dismantled the Broncos?). 

6 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

So in order to avoid the Rams being relevant, they had McVay play Gurley sparingly, and asked Goff to play the worst game of his life?

And McVay and Goff were ok with this? People believe that?

Some people think the Earth is flat, so I guess anything is possible. 

One I know who thought it was fixed thought the Rams were "boycotting" the game by playing poorly, knowing they did not deserve to be in the game and the Saints were supposed to be there.  Doubt that is true, but that person did not go through with his pick of the Rams by betting it because of that view.

The concern some had with the Rams winning was that if that had happened, there would have been cries in New Orleans and other cities that the NFL was scripting this Super Bowl and the NFCCG before that to make the Rams relevant in LA knowing how "fair weather" many of their fans are.  

3 hours ago, vincent_NJG said:

I remember back when the Patriots won their first, people said the NFL was scripted to make a team named the Patriots win the Superbowl following 9/11. They added that the Patriots weren't good and Tom Brady would fade into obscurity.

Now the same people are claiming that the NFL made the Patriots win their 6th to help uphold the belief in the original fix. 

That one I don't remember.  I do remember that Super Bowl being such a massive loss for the online bookmaker Aces Gold that they left the country.  They took a ton of money on the Patriots at +14.5 (as opposed to +14 at most other bookmakers) because they really thought the Rams would romp as did most people because the Rams had already beaten the Pats in Foxboro (in the old stadium) in a Week 11 Sunday nighter.  What was forgotten was due to 9/11, the Pats had a VERY quirky schedule that had them off in Week 16 (*-see below), playing a Panthers team that had long since quit in Charlotte in Week 17 (that Panthers team set the then-NFL single season record by losing 15 straight games after winning their opener in Week 1) that basically was a defacto home game for the Pats, having ANOTHER week off and THEN playing the Divisional round against the Raiders.  That Pats team had a ton of time to heal because of how the end of their regular season schedule was and that gave them a huge advantage in the postseason, more than I think many realized.  That was a big reason why the Patriots went into Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers in the AFC title game to reach Super Bowl XXXVI while the Rams had a much tougher road, including being exposed by Andy in the NFC Title game a week before that Super Bowl.

I thought the Pats had a real chance to win it all that season because of their quirky end-of-the-regular-season schedule and that was proven right.  That, coupled with most Rams players being overconfident and figuring they would win easily because they already won in Foxboro played right into a Patriots team that did not lose again after the home loss to the Rams, and the Pats, especially being considerably healthier beat the Rams, leading to some of the biggest losses ever for bookies, especially Aces Gold, which made an "airport bet" on the Rams.  Many who bet the Pats at Aces Gold would not have been paid except other bookmakers found out what happened and THEY wound up paying those who took the Pats because of what happened.  

*-Week 16 in the 2001 season originally was supposed to be Week 17, but when 9/11 happened, what originally was supposed to be Week 2 became Week 17, which is also why the Eagles-Bucs game wound up being moved to the final Sunday night game that year (because local authorities in Pittsburgh as I remember did not want a Steelers home game being played on a Sunday night in early January, Browns-Steelers was originally supposed to be the Sunday nighter that week).  The Pats originally were supposed to have the last bye which was the case because at least one team having to be on a bye week every week that season as that was the year before the Texans came into the NFL, the Chargers being the team that had the bye in a Week 17 (in other words, had the original schedule been in place, the Pats would have possibly had TWO weeks off before the Divisional playoff, their bye week and then the Wild Card weekend). 

Exactly how many people think the game was fixed?  100 people?  50 people?

6 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Lots more than that. 

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

Lots more than that. 

Do you have any articles to go along with this?  If more than 100 people think the game was fixed, then it should have generated some reporting.

Just now, xzmattzx said:

Do you have any articles to go along with this?  If more than 100 people think the game was fixed, then it should have generated some reporting.

You only have to go around social media and that becomes obvious pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, Wallyhorse said:

You only have to go around social media and that becomes obvious pretty quickly. 

I've been on Facebook and Twitter and seen nothing of the sort. Can you post a link of some people that think this?

9 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

This is on Twitter only using the Hashtag #SuperBowlFixed

There are many more if you look for them. 

You can find any idiotic thing if you are looking for it. Again if they are going to fix the damn thing then they should of picked different teams and made it a more fun game. That super bowl was garbage and killed ratings and didn't do any favors for generating a fan base for the Rams. 

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

You can find any idiotic thing if you are looking for it. Again if they are going to fix the damn thing then they should of picked different teams and made it a more fun game. That super bowl was garbage and killed ratings and didn't do any favors for generating a fan base for the Rams. 

As said, I think it was McVey screwing up (which he basically admitted to), but that won't stop those from saying such.

9 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This is on Twitter only using the Hashtag #SuperBowlFixed

There are many more if you look for them. 

It's 6 tweets from 4 people.  None of those tweets have any retweets or likes.  The rest are from Super Bowl 52 last year.

I think this proves this is all pointless dribble.  It's a few random nobodies who may or may not be entirely serious about their comments saying this stuff.  No one with any credibility really believes the game was fixed.  Your bettor friends who think the game was fixed are just paranoid loons.  Maybe you should ask them who ordered Oswald to shoot JFK, so we can get to the bottom of that.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, Wallyhorse said:

I didn't think it was but people I know were saying it would be well ahead of kickoff:

In their minds, they felt the NFL could not afford to have the Rams win after the NFC Championship Game debacle in New Orleans and said beforehand the NFL would fix this game to make sure the Pats won and then said afterwards given the low score they felt the Rams lost intentionally because otherwise, Saints fans would be angered.

To me, whether fixed or not I think the Pats are going to wind up with an asterisk next to this title for things they could not control, especially the NFCCG debacle. 

Honestly, who cares about Saints fans and if their feelings are hurt.

Maybe Arthur Blank payed off the refs in the NFCCG so the Saints wouldn't make it to the SB and possibly win it in the Falcons home stadium??  (Joking, of course)

Also, there is no guarantee the Saints would have beat the Pats.  The Rams defense did its job and more holding them to 13 points.  I'm sure the Saints score more than 3 but does their defense hold the Pats to 13?

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, xzmattzx said:

There's a couple guys at the barbershop I know who think it was fixed.  😄  That must make it true.

22 minutes ago, RepPhilly said:

There's a couple guys at the barbershop I know who think it was fixed.  😄  That must make it true.

And the choreography required by both teams on both of those passes to the endzone to Brandin Cooks was amazing. Sure he could have caught either of those passes for touchdowns, but no, it was obviously prearranged. Goff intentionally threw them so that they would arrive at precisely the instant the Patriot defender would get there to challenge the catch. And then Cooks had to make it look like he tried to catch it, knowing of course that he had to drop it, based on the "fix" in place.

It must have been staggering, the time it took to work on this in advance. But when the fix is in, I guess that's what you just have to do.

I don't believe that this game was fixed. If the fix was in on any Super Bowl, it would be SB 40, when every call seemed to go against Seattle. Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis was set to retire in his hometown of Detroit, and he indeed did retire afterward. It made for a nice, convenient, tidy little story if Pittsburgh won. But even with that, I still don't think that game was fixed - but I do wonder if, let's just say, there was an "agenda" on the league's part to have Pittsburgh win, which of course basically amounts to a fix.

My point is that that's the closest game to possibly being fixed that I've ever seen.

There has been speculation that Super Bowl III was fixed, with Bubba Smith maintaining long afterward that it was fixed. However, when I re-watched the game a couple of years ago on NFLN, I saw a Jets team that really played well, especially in the third quarter, when they totally stymied the Colts. Sure, odd things did happen, and everything that could go wrong did go wrong for the Colts, but I don't think the game was fixed.

Ray Didinger said as soon as he saw Goff's face near the end of the Star Spangled Banner that he was scared out of his mind having to play that game.

If it was fixed, it did everything opposite it was supposed to and that's keep people entertained. A lot of it was how both teams got in. Rams with a terrible non call on a pass interference play and the Patriots because an idiot on the Chiefs' D-Line couldn't line up right.

This isn't even the homer in me, but last year's game would have had everyone glued to their seats. Even the one with the Falcons was better.

One thing people forget...even if pass interference had been called...you can't say with 100% certainty what would have happened.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

You can find any idiotic thing if you are looking for it.

The earth is flat.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, hcs3 said:

One thing people forget...even if pass interference had been called...you can't say with 100% certainty what would have happened.

Exactly. It would certainly have been likely, but who knows what could have happened subsequent to that play.

With the AFC Championship, Dee Ford's offsides pretty much did cost KC that game. They were up 28-24, and watching the replay, would have very likely been able to milk the remaining :54, though if the Pats had all their timeouts (which I think they did) they could have forced a punt. Even then, unless they blocked it or got a great return, they'd have had the ball back at probably around their own 20-30 with about 20 seconds left, needing a TD.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, Wallyhorse said:

The concern some had with the Rams winning was that if that had happened, there would have been cries in New Orleans and other cities that the NFL was scripting this Super Bowl and the NFCCG before that to make the Rams relevant in LA knowing how "fair weather" many of their fans are.  

I'd have actually thought the opposite ... that, if the Rams has won, it would have justified their being there in the first place despite the no-call in the NFCCG.  

It was clear from the National Anthem that the Rams weren't going to win, though. The camera panned down the sidelines & Goff looked scared out of his mind.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:30 AM, Wormlegs said:

just my opinion here but the pre-game, entire game (game, play calls & refs included) and post-game looked like a scripted WWE episode.

Especially when that db hit the wr   with a chair

don't forget about the safety pulling  out the table from under the turf and dropping an elbow drop through the table

On 2/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, The_Talon said:

California, SoCal specifically, is not a huge NFL market. Yes, LA is the 2nd largest city but LA is not like the East Coast or the mid-west in the sense that it's too cold to go outside and do anything so you're going to hunker down in front of your television all winter. That doesn't really exist out here. That's why football teams keep leaving LA. The Rams left before, the Chargers left before. It will be a long time before there are any "LA Chargers" fans. I think within 10 years the Chargers will be back in San Diego.

The Rams, who had some glory days in LA, well even most of their fans have always been from the valley.  Even the Raiders, who at the time of their move were one of the NFL's most recognizable "brands" couldn't make it there. 

Both of the "LA" teams are going to rely on opposing teams' fans to help sell out their stadiums for some years to come, because the local interest just isn't there. 

I hadn't really thought about this situation this way before . . . makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for posting!