Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

How long will Jared Goff be the Rams’ quarterback?

Fresh from a disappointing performance in Super Bowl LIII, it’s fair to ask whether the Rams will keep quarterback Jared Goff beyond the expiration of his rookie deal. Especially given that Goff’s remaining contract matches the duration of another contract that, once expired, could attract the attention of Rams coach Sean McVay.

Goff has one season left on his base deal, plus an option year for 2020. Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins has two years remaining on a three-season, $84 million contract. Maybe, just maybe, the Rams will decide after Goff’s deal expires to let him walk away — and to embrace Cousins.

McVay worked with Cousins in Washington, and McVay continues to have a high opinion of Cousins’ abilities. With Goff playing well enough during McVay’s first year in L.A. to make keeping the 2016 first-rounder around a no-brainer, McVay’s team never was in the market for Cousins.

Two years from now, McVay may feel very differently. He already may feel differently now, after digesting Goff’s performance on Sunday.

The most immediate question for the Rams as it relates to Goff comes at the May 3 the deadline for picking up his fifth-year option. If the Rams do, Goff will be under contract through 2020, at a base salary of more than $22 million for the last year of his contract. The Rams then can decide whether to extend Goff or to find someone else, whether through the draft or via Cousins’ next foray into free agency.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/05/how-long-will-jared-goff-be-the-rams-quarterback/

:roll:

Wat8.jpg.32b7f649e0e43938fe7bf4b7e51e7b76.jpg

3 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

Why wait two years? Just offer the Vikings Goff for Cousins right now. Can you imagine the Vikings' elation?

It'd have to be a lot better than the Herschel Walker trade, and I can't imagine that the Vikings would want to do that.

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It'd have to be a lot better than the Herschel Walker trade, and I can't imagine that the Vikings would want to do that.

:lol: No, I can't imagine they'd want to give up a fortune but I bet they'd be thrilled to get out of the Cousins contract while acquiring a potential franchise QB with no other compensation

Oh this is brilliant. 

If McVay would rather lose every big game he ever coaches, and at best go one and done every year in the play offs, then Coupons is his man. I mean yeah I guess it's easier to accept a early season exit every year than losing in the big one most years... 

Depends. If the league has "figured out" Goff, his time there could end quickly. But if he continues to put up great numbers, he'll stay for a long time.

As bad as Goff played on Sunday, I’d still hold the belief that making a major decision on Goff based on that game alone, one way or the other, would be foolish. If they think Goff is not the long term answer, it should be based on his total body of work, and how they believe he will develop going forward. 

Ha, this is great. All of a sudden Goff is a bad player and McVay is a bad coach. GTFO I'll take both of them on my team right now and would give up a boat load of picks to do it. 

2 hours ago, Bored said:

Depends. If the league has "figured out" Goff, his time there could end quickly. But if he continues to put up great numbers, he'll stay for a long time.

Brilliant post. :rolleyes:

>inserts pic of Captain Obvious<

I think McVay deserves to be tarred and feathered more than Goff.  The entire offense was a mess, the Rams proved incapable of adjustments.  Sure a great Qb rises above that and at least makes something happen, but 3 points is nothing short of a complete breakdown and that has to rest on McVay.

9 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Ha, this is great. All of a sudden Goff is a bad player and McVay is a bad coach. GTFO I'll take both of them on my team right now and would give up a boat load of picks to do it. 

Great numbers don't necessarily mean you win all that much. Just look at Kirk Cousins.

4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Really after that?

the coach ya but Goff? He almost took a safety was late on a wide open td to probably win it and should have thrown the ball away on two sacks and almost got decapitated a third time for not throwing the ball away

6 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

As bad as Goff played on Sunday, I’d still hold the belief that making a major decision on Goff based on that game alone, one way or the other, would be foolish. If they think Goff is not the long term answer, it should be based on his total body of work, and how they believe he will develop going forward. 

Oh absolutely agree with you here. Judging him based on Sunday alone is foolish. But I think beyond the numbers actually there's enough there to make me think he's going to struggle at the very top end of the NFL. That isn't to say he can't win games but to stay at the top long term I think is beyond him. He's a product of the offense and the weapons. 

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely agree with you here. Judging him based on Sunday alone is foolish. But I think beyond the numbers actually there's enough there to make me think he's going to struggle at the very top end of the NFL. That isn't to say he can't win games but to stay at the top long term I think is beyond him. He's a product of the offense and the weapons. 

Wasn't that what analysts thought of him coming out of college?

42 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

From what I remember, the thought on him before the draft was that he was more of a project to fit into a pro offense while Wentz was more 'NFL Ready' right off the bat.

21 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Really after that?

the coach ya but Goff? He almost took a safety was late on a wide open td to probably win it and should have thrown the ball away on two sacks and almost got decapitated a third time for not throwing the ball away

If Cooks holds on to that perfect TD pass down the sideline the Rams might have won the game. Then we would have been talking about how Brady is old (he played terrible) and should retire. It's a fickle game. I still think he's a very good QB. 

2 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

If Cooks hold on to that perfect TD pass down the sideline the Rams might have won the game. Then we would have been talking about how Brady is old (he played terrible) and should retire. It's a fickle game. I still think he's a very good QB. 

Brady is old. He should retire.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, zenclaybourne said:

Why wait two years? Just offer the Vikings Goff for Cousins right now. Can you imagine the Vikings' elation?

The vikings would panic and thrown in 2 firsts and a third at the 11th hour.

Goff has one glaring achilles heel, the dude can't read a defense to save his life, he just can't, and the Pats exploited it fully. With that said, Rams would be stupid to dump Goff, they just need to work with him extensively and teach him how to read defenses.

He will be better when Kupp comes back and Gurley is completely healthy.  He's not an elite QB that can take over a lot of games. He needs to have a full arsenal.  The Rams should be a little concerned though because he seems to rattle quite easily.

There has been plenty of QBs that played like crap in the playoffs and went 1 and done. They hang around for a long time. Goff was crap in his first Super Bowl, he isn't going anywhere.

8 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Yep that's the one bud! Spread offense in college. And to be fair that's what he's had pretty much in the NFL so far... But against his defensive minds he'll get found out. 

Florio is  a ****, Goff faced the best defensive mind in NFL history, Goff not on the same level as Peyton Manning and Bill made Peyton look bad so many times...

3 hours ago, pencil face said:

Florio is  a ****, Goff faced the best defensive mind in NFL history, Goff not on the same level as Peyton Manning and Bill made Peyton look bad so many times...

Whilst you aren't wrong... Other QBs have had success against Bill... The signs I would say are concerning for Rams fans at the very least.