Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

How long will Jared Goff be the Rams’ quarterback?

Reaching the superbowl in his third year and in the second year with McVay.. yeah he is not going anywhere. If one thing is clear, it's that he is most dangerous when there is a good running attack to go with him. The Rams offense dropped off when Gurley was unable to play, although they were also never able to really replicate the production that Cooper Kupp gave them either.

I see it as more likely that they extend him sooner rather than later.

I thought Mcvay had an idatic memory, if so one would think he'd remember captain Kirk Cousins sucks😒

3 hours ago, Utebird said:

I thought Mcvay had an idatic memory, if so one would think he'd remember captain Kirk Cousins sucks😒

Actually... I'm all for this. Let LA spend big on Coupons. That's a great idea for them. In fact they should try and trade for him right now. Yes I'm fully behind this move! 

🙄🤥

Rams Shouldn't Marry Themselves to Jared Goff

https://thebiglead.com/2019/02/05/rams-shouldnt-marry-themselves-to-jared-goff/

Sean McVay can’t coddle Jared Goff forever. The protective seal which McVay has wrapped around Goff is already showing signs of cracking. At a certain point, McVay will grow tired of swaddling the Los Angeles Rams quarterback in intellectual bubble wrap.

Goff has been a good quarterback in McVay’s offense. But so many quarterbacks could be better. Super Bowl LIII was yet another example of Goff’s shortcomings as a student of football. Bill Belichick is brilliant — he stumped Goff. But Belichick isn’t the only one — far from it. The Rams quarterback hasn’t been good over the last eight weeks.

Belichick made Goff look like a rookie, but, of course, the quarterback is in his third year. Ant that’s notable because he’s entering an offseason when the Rams will, in all likelihood, pick up his fifth-year option. That will pay him out big for the 2020 season — he’ll play out 2019 on the terms of his rookie contract. After that, it would be crazy for the Rams to pay big for the quarterback.

This isn’t to say they should make their decision now. Tom Brady had significant shortcomings in his early career. Plenty of quarterbacks have progressed with patience. But if Goff shows no signs of progress, then the Rams should have faith in McVay to develop a more capable quarterback, if Goff appears to land in the quarterback tier that’s just a hair above Blake Bortles.

Those still defending Goff need to recognize the weakness which Belichick preyed upon in Super Bowl LIII. Goff has struggled to diagnose defenses at the line of scrimmage without McVay. McVay can feed Goff audibles at the line of scrimmage through the headset. When the headset cut out with 15 seconds left on the play clock — or it cut out because of typical technological issues — Goff looked like a toddler without his diaper. Belichick’s veterans on the front-seven adjusted their look — Goff couldn’t read it. What good is a quarterback who can’t read defenses at the line of scrimmage? And the Patriots racked up four sacks, 12 quarterback hits, eight deflections and a game-ending interception. The Rams scored 3 points after averaging 32.9 per game during the regular season.

McVay clearly feels like he has to over-coach Goff. The first person to talk to Goff when he hit the field for Super Bowl LIII was McVay. McVay walked over to his quarterback, and had 60 seconds worth of thoughts to share. Most quarterbacks get a moment to breathe when they’re warming up — Goff spent seconds on the turf before McVay got in his ear. Maybe McVay’s a helicopter parent. Maybe it’s necessary.

So as the Rams enter the next two years with Goff, they can spend that time looking for a better prospect in the coming draft classes. They can trade Goff or let his contract expire. (They can opt into the fifth year option for 2020, but they can bail at any point prior to the first day of the league year in 2020.) Even more awkward, the Rams could draft a prospect to compete with Goff.

Unless Goff shows significant progress in game intellect and decision-making, the Rams should prepare to find someone who can better operate McVay’s system, or can operate it similarly at a fraction of what his cost will be in a few years.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:39 AM, BKLYNYG said:

Ha, this is great. All of a sudden Goff is a bad player and McVay is a bad coach. GTFO I'll take both of them on my team right now and would give up a boat load of picks to do it. 

As far back as I can remember, the media wants to rebuild the team that lost the Super Bowl. 

On 2/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Florio's an idiot. I rarely (if ever), read anything that he posts.

Same here

20 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

After that, it would be crazy for the Rams to pay big for the quarterback.

Yeah I mean I think a lot of us thought that after the SB hence this thread. Goff was so bad and so clueless in the SB that it must be a worry for Rams fans. He's a good qb in the right system. But what I'll say is... If Wentz was in that system and played last Sunday it would have been a very different game. Goff has talent and he makes good throws but he can't read defenses and that limits him in the NFL. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, BKLYNYG said:

Ha, this is great. All of a sudden Goff is a bad player and McVay is a bad coach. GTFO I'll take both of them on my team right now and would give up a boat load of picks to do it. 

Brilliant post. :rolleyes:

>inserts pic of Captain Obvious<

Lol well of course you would. You have Shurmur and Eli

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, BKLYNYG said:

Pretend for a moment that Howie Roseman had undergone a brain transplant and he received Chip Kelly's brain, and while Lurie wasn't looking, decided to trade both Carson Wentz and Doug Pederson and he was willing to trade them to the Giants.

What would you, as the Giants GM, give up (if anything)?

Goff isn't the first, nor will he be the last quarterback to struggle in the postseason and/or Super Bowl. It doesn't mean he can't or won't go on to win the big game. John Elway lost multiple Super Bowls, one of which was one of the biggest blow outs in Super Bowl history, yet he went on to win Super Bowls after that disappointment. I'm not saying Goff is Elway, but I wouldn't personally be calling for our quarterback's head based off one bad game. Yes some teams never get back to the Super Bowl (e.g. Dolphins and Marino), and losing in the fashion they did would be heartbreaking for their fans, but they are built to get back there and the last thing they need to do is worry about their quarterback situation. 

4 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Pretend for a moment that Howie Roseman had undergone a brain transplant and he received Chip Kelly's brain, and while Lurie wasn't looking, decided to trade both Carson Wentz and Doug Pederson and he was willing to trade them to the Giants.

For damaged goods and a one hit wonder coach? I don’t know, a fifth maybe. 

18 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

For damaged goods and a one hit wonder coach? I don’t know, a fifth maybe. 

Those 'damaged goods' has a 4-1 record vs. the Giants and his 2018 regular season was better than any of Eli's entire career and the 'one hit wonder', who's only coached for 3 seasons has been to the playoffs twice and won the Super Bowl in his second season... and is 5-1 vs. the Giants.

I was hoping for a serious reply, but got fan bias instead. Should have known better. Carry on.

7 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

:roll: :roll: 

That's a pretty funny concept to imagine.

14 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Those 'damaged goods' has a 4-1 record vs. the Giants and his 2018 regular season was better than any of Eli's entire career and the 'one hit wonder', who's only coached for 3 seasons has been to the playoffs twice and won the Super Bowl in his second season... and is 5-1 vs. the Giants.

I was hoping for a serious reply, but got fan bias instead. Should have known better. Carry on.

Everyone has a winning record vs. the Giants during that time. It’s no accomplishment. In regards to Eli, he never misses games while the wonder boy has missed the last two playoff runs and has half the fan base fawning over the backup. One more injury, just one more, and he’ll be a shell of his 2017 self. Bet on it. 

The coach already hit his peak. The Eagles were lucky to make the playoffs this season. It’s all down hill from here. 

A fifth and maybe a special teams vet at best. 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Florio's an idiot. I rarely (if ever), read anything that he posts.

You should check out what he’s been writing about Foles lately. He’s digging up different scenarios Foles can use to screw the Eagles.