madriver

Anyone watching the AAF this weekend?

I think it is waaaaaaaay past time for professional minor league football as the primary development league for NFL.  College football is AMATEUR football and has no business even resembling the NFL product.   I have thought this way since like the late 80's, never needed the CTE scandal to figure out that college and high school kids should be playing the equivalent of Olympic boxing.

The villain is the NCAA but maybe finally their day of reckoning is on the horizon.

42 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

AAF beat the NBA in head to head TV ratings.

So much for NBA taking over as America's #1 sport. It just got its a** kicked by a bootleg football league.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-saturday-february-10-2019/

Granted, this was partly because of the interest in the new league, however it's still rather impressive.

11 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Granted, this was partly because of the interest in the new league, however it's still rather impressive.

Week 2 will look a LOT different. 

Lot of former Eagles in this league. Our old buddy Josh Huff is playing tonight.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll watch it... Well I'll watch some coverage at some point. I love football so if it helps to keep my desperate need at bay a little I will take it. But how is the AAF going to work next year when the XFL starts? 

Can never have enough pro football. 

19 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

The villain is the NCAA but maybe finally their day of reckoning is on the horizon.

College football isn't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

College football isn't going anywhere.

Not in the near future.  But when you look at the direction the sport is going in I don't think it's too hard to see the hammer falling on college football eventually.  You see just how much other sports like boxing protect their amateur players.

I watched three quarters of the initial CBS game on Saturday night.

The league is doing some things right, like hiring recognized coaches, not opposing the NFL, and being carried by an established network, as well as NFLN. Good moves.

But when I watched it - and this is strictly personal - it hit me that we have an off season for a reason, in every sport. Football's long offseason is what helps create hunger for the next season. And the NFL Draft and associated things like the Combine and free agency keep the league in the headlines for much of the off season anyway. As a result, I tuned out pretty quickly. It's hockey (and/or basketball) time now, then baseball, then football. And that's how it should be.

2 hours ago, madriver said:

Can never have enough pro football. 

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. How did the first weekend go? How long does their season last? 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. How did the first weekend go? How long does their season last? 

10 weeks, the final regular season game is April 14. Four teams make the playoffs and will play April 20 and 21. The championship is April 27, time is to be determined but if they are smart it will be 7 or 8 p.m. EST to avoid going up against the draft.

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The first weekend wasn't bad. There was some quality play there, but at the same time, it is largely players that are not recognizable, though a couple of our former corners had INTs. I'm personally not a fan of not having kickoffs, and I think the NFL will eventually phase it out also, but all in all, it wasn't bad. It's a decent fill in.

37 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I actually had to miss the game but watched the highlights. Looked good.

I half expected Arena League stuff but this was close to NFL quality play IMO.

3 hours ago, rocketman44 said:

It's hockey (and/or basketball) time now, then baseball, then football. And that's how it should be.

Not everyone likes, follows, or watches those sports.

Especially baseball. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I think it is waaaaaaaay past time for professional minor league football as the primary development league for NFL. 

They had one, it failed. It was the WLAF ... later re-named NFLE or NFL Europa.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, LacesOut said:

Not everyone likes, follows, or watches those sports.

Especially baseball. 

I don't follow or like any of them. I follow college basketball on occasion, but not all that closely.

VaBeach, LOL. You crack me up.

I guess the $ will come from TV revenue. I can't imagine its that much though. Obviously, it won't be from ticket or merchandise sales.

So a Salt Lake returnman's knee is clearly down but they call say the play has to stand because they can't see the ball. You can see the guy's arm that ripped it out. Has his arm moved yet? Ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, zenclaybourne said:

So a Salt Lake returnman's knee is clearly down but they call say the play has to stand because they can't see the ball. You can see the guy's arm that ripped it out. Has his arm moved yet? Ridiculous.

I was actually ok with that call.