Don Corleone

Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos for 4th rd pick

7 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Not to mention the age difference. People consider Foles old but he’s just under 4 years older than Wentz. By comparison Foles is 4 years younger than Flacco, so Flacco should be considered ancient if Foles is old. 

I met a traveler from an antique land...lol

Related image

12 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Ok, that's the nugget that suddenly makes some sense out of all this.  I still think they are going to draft somebody in 1st rd.

Most likely. Flacco's contract has a potential out after the season so the Broncos can easily wash their hands of him after he serves as a bridge qb. Word is that Elway has a chubby for Drew Lock. 

9 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Most likely. Flacco's contract has a potential out after the season so the Broncos can easily wash their hands of him after he serves as a bridge qb. Word is that Elway has a chubby for Drew Lock. 

Yeah the part that made no sense was paying both guys.  But Keenum will have no problem securing 4-5m as a top tier backup and the Broncos only end up with 2-3m dead money, which is peanuts to get the correct mentor/placeholder for your offense.

15 minutes ago, vincent_NJG said:

Lock is pretty raw so Flacco could be worth the 4th as a bridge guy for 1yr + and maybe the reworked deal keeps him as top end backup with incentives beyond that.  That's an ideal situation for Flacco if he is thinking about playing another 4-5 years.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Lock is pretty raw so Flacco could be worth the 4th as a bridge guy for 1yr + and maybe the reworked deal keeps him as top end backup with incentives beyond that.  That's an ideal situation for Flacco if he is thinking about playing another 4-5 years.

I don't think Lock is really that raw. He has more starts than Haskins and Daniel Jones combined. He's just not that good imo. People seem to give him a pass because he played in the SEC and his measureables are nice.

Can't see Flacco as more than a 1 year bridge but I could be wrong.

38 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Welp, that was a quick move on from Case Keenum.

Barely got to know ya, Case, buh bye!

Did I miss a Case Keenum move? Or do you just assume the Broncos simply get rid of him? This is a wild scenario to ponder: Could Case Keenum end up back in Minnesota?

How much longer will Flacco be in the league... at least as a starter? Is that number in terms of seasons or in terms of games, ala Sam Bradford?

On 2/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Anyone think that the Ravens faith in Jackson to be their future, is misplaced?

I didn't see a whole lot of him last season and I don't follow college football, but the tiny bit that I did see, I was far from impressed. If this was the Eagles trading away Carson Wentz, or Nick if he was our starter, in favor of making Jackson the starter... I'd be pretty pissed. Granted, it's Flacco being traded, but I don't know that I'd be excited about Jackson.

Jackson is going to have to show a lot this summer. Good running quarterback, but the Chargers set the blueprint on how to stop him on the ground. He'll need to up his passing abilities to make a name for himself. At the very least, Jackson has the upside to do it.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, downundermike said:

I wish people would finally realize Foles isn't going to be traded because he's not going to be franchised. Foles will win any arbitrator ruling because the franchise tag is an "in good faith" signing that the team wants to keep you.

9 minutes ago, Boss Hawg said:

I wish people would finally realize Foles isn't going to be traded because he's not going to be franchised. Foles will win any arbitrator ruling because the franchise tag is an "in good faith" signing that the team wants to keep you.

The Eagles will franchise him if he's onboard with it and where he'd be traded and if the other franchise is onboard with trading for him.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Eagles will franchise him if he's onboard with it and where he'd be traded and if the other franchise is onboard with trading for him.

Yes sir. There may be a team out there that it’s financially beneficial for them to trade a player  that they would otherwise cut lessening the cap hit so it works out for both parties.

He was on my flight tonight. Very nice dude. 

That's all I got

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

But what is in it for Foles?   Not one reason for him to "take one more for the team" that is kicking him to the curb. 

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

But what is in it for Foles?   Not one reason for him to "take one more for the team" that is kicking him to the curb. 

That was already answered. If he’s willing to play for the team the Eagles are looking to deal with, then what difference does it make how he gets there?

The ‘kicking to the curb’ reference is comical too. As if they’ve just treated him like crap this whole time. Did it slip your mind that they paid Foles a bonus that he contractually didn’t earn?

14 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

Jackson is going to have to show a lot this summer. Good running quarterback, but the Chargers set the blueprint on how to stop him on the ground. He'll need to up his passing abilities to make a name for himself. At the very least, Jackson has the upside to do it.

If I'm the Ravens and I have committed to Jackson, I would go all in.  Get a couple more guys like that, maybe Trace McSorley in rd 7, and just rotate them like running backs.

Getting Jackson to do anything other than what he does best is a fools errand so that's the only way you are going to get his rushes/gm down in 10-12 range.

The other part of the equation is getting much bigger and meaner up front.  That running game needs to look like the 2015 Panthers.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That was already answered. If he’s willing to play for the team the Eagles are looking to deal with, then what difference does it make how he gets there?

The ‘kicking to the curb’ reference is comical too. As if they’ve just treated him like crap this whilole time. Did it slip your mind that they paid Foles a bonus that he contractually didn’t earn?

You could make the argument that it doesn't make sense for Foles to allow a team to give up draft pick compensation to acquire him when he could just sign with them as a FA (potentially for more money) and that team would have the draft picks still with which to build around him.

They did pay him the million and then turned around and squeezed him for two million,

20 minutes ago, ckudrick said:

You could make the argument that it doesn't make sense for Foles to allow a team to give up draft pick compensation to acquire him when he could just sign with them as a FA (potentially for more money) and that team would have the draft picks still with which to build around him.

They did pay him the million and then turned around and squeezed him for two million,

The two million was a known number well in advance. It’s not like they surprised him. With a bonus payment he didn’t contractually earn, he still comes out ahead. 

As for the draft pick aspect of this, player’s get traded for picks all the time, but I have never once heard any of them comment after the fact how happy they are to be someplace, but they’re sickened by their new team losing a draft pick in the process. This seems like a new made up argument. One pick doesn’t break a team. 

The whole issue is really simple. By all outward appearances, there is mutual respect between both parties. If Foles would prefer to go and search for a new team on his own, the team likely respects that wish. If the team is willing to try and deal Foles to a team Foles wishes to play for, then they can work together to make it happen.

Either way, people need to stop acting like the Eagles are going out of their way to screw over Foles. 

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The two million was a known number well in advance. It’s not like they surprised him. With a bonus payment he didn’t contractually earn, he still comes out ahead. 

As for the draft pick aspect of this, player’s get traded for picks all the time, but I have never once heard any of them comment after the fact how happy they are to be someplace, but they’re sickened by their new team losing a draft pick in the process. This seems like a new made up argument. One pick doesn’t break a team. 

The whole issue is really simple. By all outward appearances, there is mutual respect between both parties. If Foles would prefer to go and search for a new team on his own, the team likely respects that wish. If the team is willing to try and deal Foles to a team Foles wishes to play for, then they can work together to make it happen.

Either way, people need to stop acting like the Eagles are going out of their way to screw over Foles. 

I don't think they are screwing him over. I think that both sides understand that it's a business and, if they can find a way to make a deal that is mutually beneficial then they will. If not, both sides will do what is best for them, as they should.

I'm not saying that Foles will play hardball so that his potentially acquiring team keeps its picks ... I'm just saying that he could, in answer to your question about why he could potentially be a fly in the ointment.

1 minute ago, ckudrick said:

I don't think they are screwing him over. I think that both sides understand that it's a business and, if they can find a way to make a deal that is mutually beneficial then they will. If not, both sides will do what is best for them, as they should.

I'm not saying that Foles will play hardball so that his potentially acquiring team keeps its picks ... I'm just saying that he could, in answer to your question about why he could potentially be a fly in the ointment.

I get all that. I'm just saying, I've never heard of any player complaining about a draft pick their new team gave up after the fact. I really don't think most players think that way.

5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

First, they aren't 'kicking him to the curb'. He knows that they can't afford to keep him. If they could, they would. But he also understands that they drafted Carson Wentz with the second pick in the draft and gave up a lot to do so. He fully understands that Carson Wentz is the Eagles #1 QB.

Second, if he's tagged, there's at least $25 Million 'in it for him'. Likely more, because if he's tagged and traded, the team that he's traded to will want to sign him to a long term deal.

I don't know why people look at this as an adversarial situation. Both Nick and the Eagles have expressed their 'love' for one another. But both sides know that a parting of the way is basically being forced upon them.

I bet that when Nick's career comes to an end, he will sign a 1 day contract and retire as an Eagle. Then, 5 years later, he will be inducted into the Eagles hall of Fame and his number may even be retired.

3 hours ago, ckudrick said:

In essence though, they turned that $2 Million into $1 Million, because they gifted him $1 Million. Had they decided to stick to the 'letter of the law' and say that he hadn't earned the $1 Million bonus, then the $2 Million buyout would have come fully from Nick's pocket. Paying him the $1 Million means that the Eagles handed him half of the $2 Million Buyout money a couple of weeks ago, so that Nick could keep $1 Million that he otherwise would have had to pay back to void his contract.

34 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

In essence though, they turned that $2 Million into $1 Million, because they gifted him $1 Million. Had they decided to stick to the 'letter of the law' and say that he hadn't earned the $1 Million bonus, then the $2 Million buyout would have come fully from Nick's pocket. Paying him the $1 Million means that the Eagles handed him half of the $2 Million Buyout money a couple of weeks ago, so that Nick could keep $1 Million that he otherwise would have had to pay back to void his contract.

I guess we in part gave him that bonus in the hope that he'd return the favour to us somehow in the off season? And I guess in some ways by opting out he has... All part of the Howie plan I feel.