Don Corleone

Ravens trading Joe Flacco to Broncos for 4th rd pick

Looking back at the entire Foles deal, it was always about: A) Wentz was the #2 pick in the draft. It was his job to win or lose, and 2) Foles was going to be the fall-back option in case things didn't work out with Wentz. Well, it turned out Wentz was worthy of the job. Also they ended up winning a Super Bowl along the way, and Foles earned some bonuses himself. Each side got what they wanted out of the deal, and then some. Nobody should walk away mad.

It was in the Eagles best interest to offer Foles the option. Foles decided it was in his best interest to buyout. That's simply the way business is done. I don't think either side is trying to one-up each other.

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I get all that. I'm just saying, I've never heard of any player complaining about a draft pick their new team gave up after the fact. I really don't think most players think that way.

Most players aren't in the situation Foles finds himself in.  All he has to do is refuse to sign an extension and he can force his way to free agency. The smart thing for him to do would be to do that. I don't know that he will, and I hope the situation resolves in a mutually beneficial way, but the best move for Foles would be to land on the open market. 

Also, the potential trade partners isn't exactly extensive. Assuming the Eagles will refuse to trade him to the Giants or Skins, and with the Broncos out of he mix, who does that leave? Probably only Jacksonville & Miami. I think the Dolphins will draft one, plus their cap situation is prohibitive. That leaves Jacksonville ... which automatically gives them some leverage of their own. Maybe Cincinnati?

11 hours ago, ckudrick said:

Maybe Cincinnati?

This could actually be a good spot for him and could make sense. Surely it's time they moved on from Dalton? That guy is the definition of a limited mid pack, at best, QB. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:19 PM, flybynite said:

In sports it seems like really elite superstars who become coaches or front office are often really mediocre at it and its the former non-superstar and often journeyman type players who have more success at coaching/front office

Doug Pederson approves this message. People who don't have elite physical gifts need to use what's between their ears.