paco

Rams chances of contending in 2019

Interesting breakdown by the OP.

We all have seen the pattern in recent years - NFC teams that lose the Super Bowl don't seem to be able to get back.

Also, I do agree with some of the comments to the effect that the Rams have been exposed on offense. It reminds me of how New Orleans was exposed by Dallas - after that Cowboys 13-10 win over the Saints, New Orleans' offense, which had been rolling, suddenly seemed quite limited.

The key to beating the Rams was an up the middle pass rush and of course good coverage by the Pats 5 man deployment in the secondary. When he did have guys open, Goff delivered his passes far too late.

Fans have to remember something about young QB's like Goff and some of the others who look so promising - learning to read defenses isn't an easy thing. Guys like Goff, Watson, Mayfield, etc. come into the league and yes, they can play. But do they really know how to read defenses that early in their career? maybe when they're comfortable in the pocket - that makes all the difference. When the pressure was on, and the running game was sputtering, Goff crumbled, and I suspect most young QB's would have crumbled too. Then again, even experienced QB's often crumble when they have little protection and run support. Remember what Denver did to Brady in the AFC Championship Game following the 2015 season?

On 2/16/2019 at 12:21 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

As has been stated, they likely will contend because of the personnel they have, but at some point, McVay needs to get Goff to learn how to read defenses on his own. Otherwise, teams are going to do what Belichick did, and change the defensive look after the headset cuts off. As of now, Arizona, and San Fran aren't threats until proven otherwise in that division. So it's down to the Rams and Hawks for the West. The Rams have been successful lately against the Hawks winning 3 straight, including 2 in Seattle.

Of course, there is also the obvious. McVay can't make things easier for the other team by not playing Gurley. Maybe he wasn't healthy enough and they kept that quiet, I don't know, but if Gurley was completely healthy, and McVay for whatever reason just held him back, then you're just making things easier for the defense.

Did we ever find out what happened to Gurley? Was he injured?

2 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I haven’t heard, but I haven’t been keeping up with trying to find out. 

I still can't get over McVay's wife!!! lmao

1 hour ago, NYEagle said:

I still can't get over McVay's wife!!! lmao

She is smoking. 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:22 AM, rocketman44 said:

Fans have to remember something about young QB's like Goff and some of the others who look so promising - learning to read defenses isn't an easy thing. Guys like Goff, Watson, Mayfield, etc. come into the league and yes, they can play. But do they really know how to read defenses that early in their career? maybe when they're comfortable in the pocket - that makes all the difference. When the pressure was on, and the running game was sputtering, Goff crumbled, and I suspect most young QB's would have crumbled too. Then again, even experienced QB's often crumble when they have little protection and run support. Remember what Denver did to Brady in the AFC Championship Game following the 2015 season?

Um, it just depends. Yeah reading defenses in the NFL is different than in college, but like everything else, some accel at it and some do not.

The truth is, Goff was considered raw in literally every sense of the word after college particularly after playing in a very non pro style system, having a very mediocre team, but checking all the boxes for an NFL QB to be developed.

Honestly I think Carson Wentz was the better prospect and it wasn't even close.

As for Watson and Mayfield....I think somewhat yes, somewhat no. Mayfield is still learning, Watson is too. But more mobile QBs have a bit more to rely upon as they learn. Goff...not so much.

McVay much like Chip Kelly has a very Chip Kelly way of calling the same 4 plays out of the same formation all game. Much like Chip Kelly his QBs looked good until they figured out his Chip Kelly pop warner scheme. Towards the end of the year and through the SB teams had McVays Chip Kelly style techmobowl offense figured out and I think that continues until McVay retires from the NFL in disgrace much like Chip Kelly. 

I think it's safe to say Sean wins "something"

Image result for veronika khomyn

On 2/24/2019 at 6:25 PM, mike030270 said:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Todd Gurley has arthritis in his knee.

This explains what Gurley was dealing with throughout the playoffs. Gurley's knee wasn't 100 percent for most of 2018, but it was magnified after a setback against the Eagles in Week 15. Gurley is considering stem cell treatment this offseason to help with the arthritis. There are some career outlook concerns with Gurley's knee condition. The Rams are likely to scale back Gurley's workload in 2019.

Mar 2, 2019, 9:39 AM

11 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

Thanks. I was curious as hell all throughout the game why he wasn't playing more

How many RBs play with arthritis in their knees?

4 hours ago, mike030270 said:

Thanks. I was curious as hell all throughout the game why he wasn't playing more

How many RBs play with arthritis in their knees?

Kind of sad to see.  I guess he won't be the spectacle of the NFL much longer.