Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Johnny Manziel kicked out of the CFL

CFL directs Alouettes to release QB Manziel

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-directs-alouettes-to-release-qb-manziel-1.1264993

The Montreal Alouettes announced Wednesday they have released quarterback Johnny Manziel after the CFL directed them to terminate his contract after it was found that Manziel had contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league.

"We are disappointed by this turn of events," Alouettes GM Kavis Reed said in a team release. "Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement. We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed."

"We are confident going into the 2019 training camp with a roster of quarterbacks that had played in our system last year and are committed to our team," Reed added in the statement. Reed will address the media further at 4pm et/1pm pt.

The Alouettes acquired Manziel from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats alongside offensive linemen Tony Washington and Landon Rice in exchange for two first round draft picks, national defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman, and receiver Chris Williams.

In eight games with the Alouettes his rookie season in the CFL, Manziel was 106-165 for 1,290 yards, five touchdowns, and seven interceptions. The former Heisman Trophy-winner added 29 carries for 215 yards on the ground.

The CFL also informed all other teams it would not register a contract for Manziel should any of them try to sign him as a free agent.

Just now, zenclaybourne said:

What did he do to actually get thrown out of the league? Drugs?

I'm assuming that he failed a drug/alcohol test.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Man if its drugs this is another guy who's wasted the talent he has. 

I was never sold on him having NFL level talent.

10 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Perhaps not but he never truly applied himself and committed himself did he. Too busy being a fool and chasing the money and other such things. 

Get! 

Oh no, this could really hurt his football career.

:lol: 

If I'm the XFL, I'm jumping all over him. Especially if weed isn't banned as is rumored. He'll put butts in seats, and he's still better than whatever QB crop is left for them to sift through.

Was curious to look back and see what we got out of the trade that gave the Browns the pick for Manziel... we got picks that led to Marcus Smith, Jaylen Watkins and Taylor Hart.

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Was curious to look back and see what we got out of the trade that gave the Browns the pick for Manziel... we got picks that led to Marcus Smith, Jaylen Watkins and Taylor Hart.

Sounds like a trade that would be better for all parties to be erased from history.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Sounds like a trade that would be better for all parties to be erased from history.

Well, at least we still have Hart on the roster... though, it's in his second stint and Watkins was on the LII team. So at least we got some kind of production out of them, even if only in practice. lol

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, at least we still have Hart on the roster... though, it's in his second stint and Watkins was on the LII team. So at least we got some kind of production out of them, even if only in practice. lol

And Hart is now on the OL lol.

3 hours ago, Havenless said:

If I'm the XFL, I'm jumping all over him. Especially if weed isn't banned as is rumored. He'll put butts in seats, and he's still better than whatever QB crop is left for them to sift through.

I don't think weed is his main issue as far as drugs go

This low life should be curb stomped

CFL comissioner: Manziel violated conditions of contract

We still don’t know the specific reasons for Johnny Manziel’s release from the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

But it’s clear that it was enough of a headache to go to the top of the league office.

In addition to demanding the team release him, the Canadian Football League declared it would not approve a contract for Manziel with any other team.

"We advised Montreal that Johnny had violated one of the conditions we had set for him to be in our league. And Montreal announced his release today,” CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said, via Dan Ralph of the Canadian Press. "We didn’t release the terms of those conditions then and we’re not going to do that now.

"We’re trying to do what we believe is in the best interests of the entire league. The conditions we set, we thought were the right ones. Those conditions have been violated and we feel it’s best, and Montreal feels it’s best, to let Johnny move on. And we think it’s best for our league that he do the same. And we wish him well.”

When Manziel entered the league with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, the league went through a number of steps including an assessment by an independent expert on domestic violence and a personal meeting between Manziel and Ambrosie. Manziel was also undergoing treatment for anger management and alcohol abuse after his 2016 acquittal on domestic violence charges, which ended his run with the Browns.

Montreal ended up trading for Manziel to reunite him with college coach Mike Sherman, but he was just 2-6 as a starter there.

"When we made the decision to make the trade for Mr. Manziel, we knew the risks that went with it,” Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed said. "We took a chance, we took a risk, an educated risk and it didn’t work out.

"That’s the situation. We have a stable plan that will allow our football team to advance.”

The CFL teams saves a few bucks in the process, as he was due a $75,000 bonus on March 1.

Manziel has indicated he wants to continue his attempt to play in the United States.

He is a dumbarse. then he became a dumbarse with a lot of $$. End result is he is still a dumbarse. Who cares about him. Many opportunities to play football and make significant  $$. I have no sympathy for him or  that dope  from dallas

On 2/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I remember telling anybody who would listen he was a 2nd rd talent with character concerns that made him a 3rd rd prospect.

I reserve judgment until all the facts come out.  The CFL pulled the plug. The Alouettes organization seems legitimately disappointed by their decision. LINK

"We are disappointed by this turn of events. Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement,” said General Manager Kavis Reed. "We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed.”

It sounds like the team got caught in the middle. Manziel won't state the terms he violated... Did he screw up? Were the league terms unfair, so he relented after he agreed to them to get another shot...?

That said, how many chances is this guy going to get? He seems like the type of guy who doesn't know how much he has until it's all gone.

10 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I remember telling anybody who would listen he was a 2nd rd talent with character concerns that made him a 3rd rd prospect.

Who did you have to convince of that? I'm pretty sure mostly anyone besides the browns thought he was a joke

40 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Who did you have to convince of that? I'm pretty sure mostly anyone besides the browns thought he was a joke

The Browns probably wish that he'd convinced that homeless guy who told Haslam to pick him...

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The Browns probably wish that he'd convinced that homeless guy who told Haslam to pick him...

And yet Jon Gruden spent about the first three hours of that draft constantly pushing for whatever team was on the clock to pick Manziel. It was ridiculous.