Don Corleone

2019 CLUB PLAYING RULES PROPOSALS

CLUB PROPOSALS

• By Kansas City; to amend Rule 16 to (1) allow both teams the opportunity to possess the ball at least one time in overtime, even if the first team to possess the ball in overtime scores a touchdown; (2) eliminate overtime for preseason; and (3) eliminate overtime coin toss so that winner of initial coin toss to begin game may choose whether to kick or receive, or which goal to defend.
  • By Denver; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1 to provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring.
  • By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2 to subject all plays that occur during a game to coaches’ challenge by teams or review by the Officiating department in the instant replay system.
  • By Washington; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 5 to add review of personal fouls as reviewable plays in the instant replay system.
  • By Kansas City; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add review of personal fouls (called or not called on the field) as plays subject to coaches’ challenge in the instant replay system.
  • By Carolina, Los Angeles Rams, Philadelphia and Seattle; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add review of designated player safety-related fouls (called or not called on the field) as plays subject to coaches’ challenge in the instant replay system.
  • By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.
  • By Denver; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add all fourth down plays that are spotted short of the line to gain or goal line to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.
  • By Denver; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to add all Try attempts (Extra point or Two-point conversion) to be subject to automatic review in the instant replay system.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2019-club-playing-rules-proposals/

On 3/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, Don Corleone said:

By Denver; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1 to provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring.

wut?

10 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

wut?

My guess, because of the new kick off rules, it makes it harder to successfully execute onside kicks, so they want an alternative to the onside kick

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

My guess, because of the new kick off rules, it makes it harder to successfully execute onside kicks, so they want an alternative to the onside kick

I believe they are suggesting a page out of the new AAF rulebook.

Where instead of onside kicks the team trying to possess the ball again can try to convert a 4th and 12 from their own 25. If successful they maintain possession, if not they turn over the ball to the opposing team. Instead of 4th and 12, the distance is 15 yards.

If that's the case I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd prefer if they didn't scrap onside kicks entirely. I want STs to stick around as long as possible TBH.

Gee... I wonder what play inspired our proposal.   <_<

On 3/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, paco said:

The Goedert catch and run?

And the one that should be proposed:

Going to a modified version of college overtime where teams start on the opponent's 40-yard line (as opposed to the 25) and starting with the second OT requiring teams to go for two after a TD.

Do like the alternative to the on-side kick where you try a 4th and 15 to keep possession. 

The rule Denver proposes makes sense if the kickoff was ever eliminated. But I prefer keeping the insides with the kickoff. You can surprise onsides, fake an onsides and squib it, etc.

1 hour ago, boogyman said:

The rule Denver proposes makes sense if the kickoff was ever eliminated. But I prefer keeping the insides with the kickoff. You can surprise onsides, fake an onsides and squib it, etc.

Agreed, plus wouldn't that just place the game in the hands of the refs even more than it already is?  Sorry but I'd rather not have the question of who posses the ball late in a game be decided upon whether or not a CB got a little hold of a jersey or not

Git gud kickers and keep the onside kick one of the few remaining pure football plays

Not sure if this should be discussed here, but the Eagles proposed a rule change to games scheduled on Thanksgiving. The Cowboys and Lions would have to alternate home and away Thanksgiving games, so maybe this year the Cowboys host a game and the Lions play on the road, and next year the Cowboys play on the road and the Lions host a game. The Eagles withdrew it -- either because they believed it wouldn't pass or because they didn't want to give the appearance of dissing an NFC East rival or whatnot.

It's not a bad idea. The Cowboys and Lions get to play a home game on a short week every single year, while the other teams in the league have to alternate. Worse, the Cowboys get to play a home game on short rest and then host the Eagles after 11 days rest. I don't know how much of an advantage that gives them, but it's some advantage. The best solution would be to have every team playing on a short week host the game, while every team playing on 11 days rest play an away game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/21/eagles-proposed-change-to-detroit-dallas-thanksgiving-tradition/

Denver proposal to change onside kick to 4th and 15 on own 35 yard line got 7 out of 8 possible votes in the committee. League to vote on it now between today and Wednesday. 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, paco said:

My favorite ‘scoring’ play that was negated by a weak flag