Sign in to follow this  
dawkins4prez

Brees is actually OVERRATED

I will just throw this out there...the past two seasons...

Drew Brees: 55td/13int (32 games)
Carson Wentz: 54td/14int (24 games)

Here's a big problem with this - once Brees is done, where does Sean Payton land?  There have been whispers that he's slated to replace Jason Garrett in Dallas.

What is crazy is the Saints cap and the QB situation.

They have spent 22.7 in cap on Brees this year

• Add another 7 to 8 on Bridgewater.
  • Hill only makes about 650k.

They also have 21 million dead cap for Brees next year.

Brees will be 41 (42 in the playoffs), Hill will be an RFA, and Bridgewater will be a UFA

Their zero QBs will still have a 21 million dollar cap hit before they sign anyone.

Maybe they can have a protest parade against the salary cap?

9 hours ago, skippyx said:

What is crazy is the Saints cap and the QB situation.

They have spent 22.7 in cap on Brees this year

• Add another 7 to 8 on Bridgewater.
  • Hill only makes about 650k.

They also have 21 million dead cap for Brees next year.

Brees will be 41 (42 in the playoffs), Hill will be an RFA, and Bridgewater will be a UFA

Their zero QBs will still have a 21 million dollar cap hit before they sign anyone.

Maybe they can have a protest parade against the salary cap?

Why do they have dead money for Brees? I thought 2019 was last year of his two year contact. 

12 hours ago, pisceschica said:

Why do they have dead money for Brees? I thought 2019 was last year of his two year contact. 

They have been pushing dead money forward on him for years.

His 2019 cap hit was like 33 with 10 dead cap next year before they pushed even more.

10 minutes ago, skippyx said:

They have been pushing dead money forward on him for years.

His 2019 cap hit was like 33 with 10 dead cap next year before they pushed even more.

That team is gonna be a mess after Brees retires.  Cap problems and limited draft picks.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, Jason1978 said:

I will just throw this out there...the past two seasons...

Drew Brees: 55td/13int (32 games)
Carson Wentz: 54td/14int (24 games)

So we’re gonna ignore the fact that you’re comparing QB stats between a 26 year old and a 39 year old.

You believe Wentz numbers would be that  high if the Eagles have both Ingram AND Kamara in the backfield?  Let’s remember that Andy and Doug prefer to throw the ball....like all the time.  You can’t really compare stats line by line....otherwise:

Brees missed one game in those two seasons.... he also averaged over a 70% completion rate over those two seasons, almost reaching 75% last season.

As a 39 year old.

Lets put this guys career in context.  He won in a city that had won what, maybe one playoff game in its entire existence?  (Fact check me on that one, I might be talking out of my butt)

The guy may not be Tom Brady, but he’s an awfully good quarterback who makes the position look easier than it is.

So what exactly is an NFL arm? How can a future 1st ballot HOF Qb with a stellar career shattering records not have an "NFL arm"? If talking arm strength the Jamarcus Russell had a cannon where did that get him? That "NFL arm" crap is overrated. 

On 3/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, GNS_CLFD said:

He's crafted together a pretty outstanding career both on and off the field and is still playing at a pretty high level.    Myself personally as a football fan, I put him in the same category as Montana, Favre, Marino, Elway etc, as one of those guys that I always enjoy seeing play and will miss when he's not around to see anymore.     He did get the 1 ring too, so in some ways I would rank him ahead of Marino.

One issue with Drew is he isn't that great at going deep.  He can do it...but not as well as Favre, Elway, Montana, or a young Tom Brady.  The homerun ball is always a good thing to have in your arsenal.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, dawkins4prez said:

Tom Brady is above average at best. 

Don't be misled by the Pats short passing game, Tom Brady has a damn strong arm.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Don't be misled by the Pats short passing game, Tom Brady has a damn strong arm.

Apparently your ship didn't sail yet....................

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Get lost you clown.

His one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen.  Drops dimes into tight small windows.  

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

It sailed. He got kicked off for harassing a 6 year old rumor has it. The ship then sailed off without him disappearing bottom first. 

On 4/1/2019 at 4:30 PM, Gregg said:

His one of the most accurate passers I've ever seen.  Drops dimes into tight small windows.  

So did Chad Pennington.  Honestly you give Pennington just a bit more juice on that noodle arm, stick him in the dome with Payton for a dozen years and you prolly have a similar career.

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

So did Chad Pennington.  Honestly you give Pennington just a bit more juice on that noodle arm, stick him in the dome with Payton for a dozen years and you prolly have a similar career.

I agree with this Pennington was very intelligent and did a lot with that weak arm of his. 

On 3/19/2019 at 5:56 AM, Vee said:

So we’re gonna ignore the fact that you’re comparing QB stats between a 26 year old and a 39 year old.

You believe Wentz numbers would be that  high if the Eagles have both Ingram AND Kamara in the backfield?  Let’s remember that Andy and Doug prefer to throw the ball....like all the time.  You can’t really compare stats line by line....otherwise:

Brees missed one game in those two seasons.... he also averaged over a 70% completion rate over those two seasons, almost reaching 75% last season.

As a 39 year old.

Lets put this guys career in context.  He won in a city that had won what, maybe one playoff game in its entire existence?  (Fact check me on that one, I might be talking out of my butt)

The guy may not be Tom Brady, but he’s an awfully good quarterback who makes the position look easier than it is.

I mean, OK, but those are still good numbers and not too much better than Brees average. It’s not like he’s had a steep decline. He’s always been a weak armed QB with phenomenal accuracy and field vision. Especially for his height. You can’t discount how much worse he is outside the dome either. He’s a HOF QB but I also think he’s a little overrated. He’s great but not top 5 all time great like some say. 

On 3/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, heavywchamp said:

So what exactly is an NFL arm? How can a future 1st ballot HOF Qb with a stellar career shattering records not have an "NFL arm"? If talking arm strength the Jamarcus Russell had a cannon where did that get him? That "NFL arm" crap is overrated. 

NFL arm is being able to make all the throws.  Usually the benchmark for that is the 20 yd out, small window that isn't open very long.  Brees can make that throw, but just barely and will struggle with it outside the dome.

NFL arms are pretty strong.  Brady has a strong arm, but its only slightly above average by NFL standards.

I think I saw this on sports science. That when Brees throws a deep ball it has the absolute perfect "wobble" to go maximum distance. Like 5.5 revolutions per "wobble". I dunno but it was interesting. Made me think of the javelin in Revenge of the Nerds.

3 hours ago, E v 2.0 said:

I mean, OK, but those are still good numbers and not too much better than Brees average. It’s not like he’s had a steep decline. He’s always been a weak armed QB with phenomenal accuracy and field vision. Especially for his height. You can’t discount how much worse he is outside the dome either. He’s a HOF QB but I also think he’s a little overrated. He’s great but not top 5 all time great like some say. 

I wonder if that's just a typical stat for a dome QB.  Hmmm.  Is there any way to check how different successful dome QBs do outside?  Is Brees like any other successful QB who happens to play in a dome?  Should be similar to teams that played on old-school turf. 

How about great outdoor QBs that just didn't luck into a cozy domed franchise?  Tom Brady?  Could he have been even better had NE played under a dome?  

1 minute ago, Vee said:

I wonder if that's just a typical stat for a dome QB.  Hmmm.  Is there any way to check how different successful dome QBs do outside?  Is Brees like any other successful QB who happens to play in a dome?  Should be similar to teams that played on old-school turf. 

How about great outdoor QBs that just didn't luck into a cozy domed franchise?  Tom Brady?  Could he have been even better had NE played under a dome?  

I think every QB would be better in a dome. But I think that’s kind of the point. There are QBs that played in crappy weather most of their careers that have had similar or even more success. To me that puts them above Brees. JMO. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 15-20 QB all time. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:42 PM, E v 2.0 said:

I think every QB would be better in a dome. But I think that’s kind of the point. There are QBs that played in crappy weather most of their careers that have had similar or even more success. To me that puts them above Brees. JMO. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a top 15-20 QB all time. 

So basically, if a QB is drafted and succeeds for a dome team, it's almost impossible for him to break the Top 10 QBs all time, no matter how well he plays, or what his number show.

1 hour ago, Vee said:

So basically, if a QB is drafted and succeeds for a dome team, it's almost impossible for him to break the Top 10 QBs all time, no matter how well he plays, or what his number show.

No. If his numbers outside the dome are significantly worse though I think it should matter. 

Its not easy to play in a place like NE or Green Bay or whatever. I think we generally have enough analytics etc these days to use nuance when ranking QBs.