Sign in to follow this  
eglz1

How much are NFL contracts really worth

I thought people might find this informative. There's no malware or adware associated with it that I'm aware of.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/15/18266458/free-agent-contracts-guaranteed-money-how-long-do-deals-last

That’s why I never understand why fans/media get mad at players who sit out for more money. 

I saw something similar to this but for the NBA. This link is for NBA but gives a good breakdown of how we arrive at net take home pay.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20715128/nba-player-salaries-take-home-pay

4 hours ago, pisceschica said:

That’s why I never understand why fans/media get mad at players who sit out for more money. 

I saw something similar to this but for the NBA. This link is for NBA but gives a good breakdown of how we arrive at net take home pay.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20715128/nba-player-salaries-take-home-pay

This. Especially in the NFL the teams have so much more leverage than the players, that holding out is often the only leverage they have.

I'll still never understand these ridiculous contracts baseball players get. I'm not saying baseball is an easy sport, but you hit a ball with a bat and stand around in a field for $30-40 million a year. Plus you play in nice weather and get to sit when it rains.

A starting football player is putting his livelihood and his body on the line 16 games (more with playoffs) a year and gets paid a fraction of what a baseball player makes. Concussions, broken bones, and (God forbid) an injury that paralyzes a player for the rest of his life. Not to mention sub-zero weather, snow, rain, or temps that reach over 100 degrees on the field. Former players are still feeling the symptoms brought on by being an NFL player (RIP Andre Waters).

Peter King wrote an article saying anything after two years on a football contract is window dressing. And @Bored is right. The only leverage a player has is to sit and boycott the game.

The signing bonus seems to be the only thing that is worth it's weight once an NFL player and a team agree to a deal.

16 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

I'll still never understand these ridiculous contracts baseball players get. I'm not saying baseball is an easy sport, but you hit a ball with a bat and stand around in a field for $30-40 million a year. Plus you play in nice weather and get to sit when it rains.

A starting football player is putting his livelihood and his body on the line 16 games (more with playoffs) a year and gets paid a fraction of what a baseball player makes. Concussions, broken bones, and (God forbid) an injury that paralyzes a player for the rest of his life. Not to mention sub-zero weather, snow, rain, or temps that reach over 100 degrees on the field. Former players are still feeling the symptoms brought on by being an NFL player (RIP Andre Waters).

Peter King wrote an article saying anything after two years on a football contract is window dressing. And @Bored is right. The only leverage a player has is to sit and boycott the game.

The signing bonus seems to be the only thing that is worth it's weight once an NFL player and a team agree to a deal.

Football must just be a really inefficient way of providing entertainment.  If you have to go through all of that to create 3 hours of enjoyment for a fan, and you can only do it 16 times a year, compared to baseball, which produces 3 hours of entertainment over 162 times per year, then maybe the sport you should try to be good at is baseball