Wallyhorse

OFFICIAL: Packers-Bears to be 100th NFL Season Opener

Not a surprise because this has been rumored for some time:

Suspect they did that knowing if they opened with the Pats in that game, Chiefs and Saints fans would be very upset because they felt they were both robbed and that Super Bowl win carries a huge asterisk (not to mention what has come out since against Robert Kraft).  

Pats will play Week 1 Sunday night opener against an opponent to be determined.

I would have myself had the Pats open on the road in Week 1 and then play their home opener in Week 2 on Thursday night that also would have been on NBC and treated as if it were the season opening game as this would fully compensate NBC for losing the Week 17 Sunday Nighter in 2017.  FOX/NFL Network would have been compensated for losing the Week 2 Thursday nighter by getting EITHER:

A "Black Friday" game in London with a 2:30 PM ET (7:30 PM local time) kickoff (and the Premier League plays mid-week fixtures so the NFL could do a Friday night game in London).  If this were done, teams would get their bye week ahead of this game.

OR

A Week 15 or 16 Friday Night game that would have teams playing that game getting their bye week in Week 14 or 15.  

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Huh... Why are they moving away from tradition? Because they don't want to upset fans?

In this case, I think so, using the 100th anniversary as an excuse.

NFL knows full well fans in Kansas City and New Orleans would be outraged if the Pats got the season opening game.

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Huh... Why are they moving away from tradition? Because they don't want to upset fans?

Well, the Super Bowl winner hosting the first game was only a tradition since about 2010.... I wonder if Kraft's extra-curricular activities have something to do with it? :whistle:

You are really pushing for this Black Friday game. I really dont think itnis ever going to happen. Friday night is a dead zone for TV.

5 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

You are really pushing for this Black Friday game. I really dont think itnis ever going to happen. Friday night is a dead zone for TV.

"Black Friday" would be a 2:30 PM New York Time start on a day many outside of retail either are off entirely or only work until around Noon-1:00 PM, and then only if they have to.

The Week 15/16 Friday night game (other option) would still do way better than most anything else and some might actually stay home to watch.

Black Friday game isn’t happening. 

Like ever. 

I also don’t think the league gives two craps about Saints or Chiefs fans feelings. The Bears/Packers rivalry is the oldest rivalry in the NFL. It’s the 100th season. Nuff said. 

31 minutes ago, toolg said:

Well, the Super Bowl winner hosting the first game was only a tradition since about 2010.... I wonder if Kraft's extra-curricular activities have something to do with it? :whistle:

That tradition actually started in 2004. 2002 was when they started opening with a Thursday night game. The Giants hosted the Niners in 02, then the Redskins hosted the Jets in 2003. 2004 was when they made it so the SB winner hosted the opening Thursday night game. Aside from the Ravens after the 2012 season. 

8 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Like ever. 

I also don’t think the league gives two craps about Saints or Chiefs fans feelings. The Bears/Packers rivalry is the oldest rivalry in the NFL. It’s the 100th season. Nuff said. 

If they didn't, the games would either be reversed OR one would have been on Wednesday AND the other on Thursday.   There are a lot of Saints and Chiefs fans STILL upset about what happened even two months later.  

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Like ever. 

Exactly. It has NOTHING to do with that, and EVERYTHING to do with the 100th season.

4 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

If they didn't, the games would either be reversed OR one would have been on Wednesday AND the other on Thursday.   There are a lot of Saints and Chiefs fans STILL upset about what happened even two months later.  

I'm sure they are upset. I just don't believe it had any effect on scheduling.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No. It's the 100th season, The Bears are a founding team, (as are the Cardinals). Having a founding team and it's most hated rival (the Packers), open the 100th season is why they're doing it.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That tradition actually started in 2004. 2002 was when they started opening with a Thursday night game. The Giants hosted the Niners in 02, then the Redskins hosted the Jets in 2003. 2004 was when they made it so the SB winner hosted the opening Thursday night game. Aside from the Ravens after the 2012 season. 

I wouldn't even call it a 'tradition'. It's more of a gimmick. I'd rather the entire league open on Sunday, like it was for all those decades before they started the Thursday Night Football crap.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I wouldn't even call it a 'tradition'. It's more of a gimmick. I'd rather the entire league open on Sunday, like it was for all those decades before they started the Thursday Night Football crap.

I love primetime games.

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

I love primetime games.

I hate Thursday Night games. I loved opening Sunday when 1 PM marked the start of the season.

I watched the opening game last year, but aside from that being an Eagles game, I don't pay much, if any attention to those games.

I MIGHT watch the Bears and Packers, but if it had been the Patriots and anyone other than the Eagles, I wouldn't have even turned the game on.

14 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's one thing I actually don't mind. I don't mind the Super Bowl champion opening with their banner unveiling in a stand alone game. Now Thursday night games every week, I don't care for.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That's one thing I actually don't mind. I don't mind the Super Bowl champion opening with their banner unveiling in a stand alone game. Now Thursday night games every week, I don't care for.

I don't mind it as long as it's an Eagles home game. Otherwise, I'd rather the season begin at 1 PM on Sunday.

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't mind it as long as it's an Eagles home game. Otherwise, I'd rather the season begin at 1 PM on Sunday.

Aside from wishing the Eagles host as many Thursday night openers as possible, I too would like every game to be a 1:00 KO.

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Not a surprise because this has been rumored for some time:

Suspect they did that knowing if they opened with the Pats in that game, Chiefs and Saints fans would be very upset because they felt they were both robbed and that Super Bowl win carries a huge asterisk (not to mention what has come out since against Robert Kraft).  

Pats will play Week 1 Sunday night opener against an opponent to be determined.

I would have myself had the Pats open on the road in Week 1 and then play their home opener in Week 2 on Thursday night that also would have been on NBC and treated as if it were the season opening game as this would fully compensate NBC for losing the Week 17 Sunday Nighter in 2017.  FOX/NFL Network would have been compensated for losing the Week 2 Thursday nighter by getting EITHER:

A "Black Friday" game in London with a 2:30 PM ET (7:30 PM local time) kickoff (and the Premier League plays mid-week fixtures so the NFL could do a Friday night game in London).  If this were done, teams would get their bye week ahead of this game.

OR

A Week 15 or 16 Friday Night game that would have teams playing that game getting their bye week in Week 14 or 15.  

You aren't going to get the entire Premier League to move to a random Wednesday night (because they do not celebrate Thanksgiving) just to accommodate one game for a league without a team in the country, and without a huge following.

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Black Friday?? Why would they put a game on in the afternoon of a day when most people are at work??

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Black Friday?? Why would they put a game on in the afternoon of a day when most people are at work??

It's his latest obsession.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

It's his latest obsession.

Well, I think that calling it 'Black' Friday is racist. (You can't see me, but I'm kneeling in protest!)

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, I think that calling it 'Black' Friday is racist. (You can't see me, but I'm kneeling in protest!)

:lol:

If no one can see you, does that make your protest a moo point?

15 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

You aren't going to get the entire Premier League to move to a random Wednesday night (because they do not celebrate Thanksgiving) just to accommodate one game for a league without a team in the country, and without a huge following.

There are a few weeks each year the entire Premier League plays mid-week fixtures (usually split between Tuesday and Wednesday and even now a Thursday game or two).  Plus, most (not all) weeks there is a Monday night game in the Premier League and now some Friday nighters.   Also, because of FA Cup, UEFA Champions League matches and so forth, teams sometimes have to move PL games to a mid-week spot to make those up (due to other commitments), especially late in the year (sometimes, late in the year teams can be playing five matches in a 10-12 day span if they have move matches to midweek before of such).  

Im having a tough time fathoming how one can divert so much energy to nfl scheduling.

Who cares???