Sign in to follow this  
Portyansky

Pass interference OPI and DPI can now be challenged...

8 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Lol. Like any calls against the Bengals have mattered in decades.

Not sure how I feel about it. Might as well challenge everything at this point. Human error is part of the game and I think it should remain that way

2 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Not sure how I feel about it. Might as well challenge everything at this point. Human error is part of the game and I think it should remain that way

How do you feel if it costs the Eagles a trip to the Super Bowl?

Just now, xitrum said:

How do you feel if it costs the Eagles a trip to the Super Bowl?

Then it does. I'm not one to piss and moan about the refs every single play. 

Just now, bwestbrook36 said:

If anything, they should lose a down (and possibly a timeout) if they challenge and loses. Neither team can challenge PI after 4th down. Say if offensive team loses PI challenge after 2nd down, it would then by 4th down, not 3rd down. Say if defensive team loses a challenge after 2nd down, offensive team would repeat 2nd down, not go to 3rd down.

I’m a long time nfl fan.

And for me, there is nothing worse than spending 3 hours watching a game only for it to be deciddd by a bad and/or no call. 

With only 16 games any play of any game can decide a teams season  

get it right  

2 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

If the challenges are limited to 2, 3 at the most I agree. Challenge everything. The time added is nominal, team still has to decide what to challenge and the obvious wrong calls will mostly be overturned. It all sounds good to me.

Are people ok with this on a non-called penalties that are obvious but have no affect on the outcome of the play?

Let’s say just before TMW a RB receives a handoff and finds a hole to the right of line and takes it to the house. Then the opposing team throws a flag bc on of an obvious but not impactful hold on the left side 3-4 yards away. 

4 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

If anything, they should lose a down (and possibly a timeout) if they challenge and loses. Neither team can challenge PI after 4th down. Say if offensive team loses PI challenge after 2nd down, it would then by 4th down, not 3rd down. Say if defensive team loses a challenge after 2nd down, offensive team would repeat 2nd down, not go to 3rd down.

So what about a 3rd down challenge? You can skip 4th down

This is what happens when lawyers run the league. The whole game becomes a court case.

50 minutes ago, heavywchamp said:

So what about a 3rd down challenge? You can skip 4th down

(After 3rd down) Offensive team would turn it over on downs. With my proposed rules, they got to be careful about challenging PI (risk element). 

It's not like they got extra challenges that'll slow the game down or lengthen it. They just have the ability to challenge something more impactful that before. Getting it right on the biggest plays is what's important.

15 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

wait until they challenge an incomplete hail mary and they change the call to PI and put the ball at the 1. Teams and fans will lose their sheet.

The solution to that is: make it a 10 - 15 yd. penalty not a 'spot foul' at the one. 

In our Super Bowl case a PI called on the Pats = game over with no time left on the clock.

If they had called PI on the Eags then there'd have to be one more untimed down b/c the game can't end on a defensive foul. 

15 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hard to say. Gronkowski looked to have a push off of his own. Could have been off setting and essentially ended the game since no time was left. Not sure how off setting fouls work with no time left. 

Game over.

13 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I believe Mike Peraria (sp) said the same thing. Refs are told to let the play go in those situations. 

Agree.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:27 PM, pisceschica said:

Are people ok with this on a non-called penalties that are obvious but have no affect on the outcome of the play?

Let’s say just before TMW a RB receives a handoff and finds a hole to the right of line and takes it to the house. Then the opposing team throws a flag bc on of an obvious but not impactful hold on the left side 3-4 yards away. 

If I understand this added rule, that's not reviewable. It's only Pass Interference that's been added in. A running play isn't one he can do it on.

Anyone against this rule love to watch old men make mistakes, i like this change, and it won't slow the game down, they not adding more challenges..

5 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

If I understand this added rule, that's not reviewable. It's only Pass Interference that's been added in. A running play isn't one he can do it on.

This time I actually read the article and see it’s limited to OPI/DPI 😑

It will come down to the 2 minutes and if a team needs a first down or a td ...they will just call a hail mary.  There will be contact at some point to throw a flag.  The refs just get to choose whos at fault.  

10 hours ago, eagle_eye20 said:

It will come down to the 2 minutes and if a team needs a first down or a td ...they will just call a hail mary.  There will be contact at some point to throw a flag.  The refs just get to choose whos at fault.  

Coach can't throw a challenge flag in the 2 minutes. Also what if there was no penalty? Then you just pissed your chance away to win by doing something stupid. 

6 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Coach can't throw a challenge flag in the 2 minutes. Also what if there was no penalty? Then you just pissed your chance away to win by doing something stupid. 

I know that but its going to the the booths call (or non call) on whether a PI should be reviewed.   So basically the refs have even more control of the outcome now.  

Its a good thing that little b****  morelli retired before this rule was implemented.  He'd have even more of a field day against philadelphia in the final 2 minutes.  

What would be nice would be the refs calling a consistent game, no matter the importance of the game.  In the playoffs and SB, they mostly let them play and saved the flags for blatant penalties.   Sure, they still missed some calls, but it was a far cry from the flag fest of the regular season.

Why did they call it more loosely during the playoffs?   Because ticky-tack penalties kill the flow of the game to near unwatchable levels.   If only the league understood that if the game is more enjoyable with less flags during the playoffs, the same would be true during the regular season.   #KeepItInYourPantsRef   :angel: