Sign in to follow this  
Portyansky

Pass interference OPI and DPI can now be challenged...

Speaking of challenges, I heard someone on SiriusXM NFL suggest that teams should be given 3 challenges per half, like timeouts. If they win the challenge, they win the challenge and now have 2 more for that half. If they lose the challenge, they lose a timeout as well as losing the challenge.

On the surface, it sounds like it would be a good idea, but I haven't really given it a whole lot of thought.

Within the last 2 minutes it's still a booth review only, so that's good. We won't see coaches saving a challenge for a hail mary toss of the red flag on the last play. The onus will be on the replay officials to correct the officials on the field in the last 2 minutes of each half.

So I suppose non-calls must be "clear and obvious" penalties, and the same is true in the reverse for flagged calls.

In slow motion, I just wonder what is "clear and obvious."  Sometimes you put your hand on a player but you didn't push, and you can't tell from the image.  What do you do then?

Wouldn't this make a viable strategy out of chucking a pass deep and looking for interference, and challenging any contact whatsoever?

3 minutes ago, Injured_Reserve said:

So I suppose non-calls must be "clear and obvious" penalties, and the same is true in the reverse for flagged calls.

In slow motion, I just wonder what is "clear and obvious."  Sometimes you put your hand on a player but you didn't push, and you can't tell from the image.  What do you do then?

Wouldn't this make a viable strategy out of chucking a pass deep and looking for interference, and challenging any contact whatsoever?

Possibly, but the coach has to be willing to risk a timeout to do so. 

12 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Possibly, but the coach has to be willing to risk a timeout to do so. 

What would have happened if they reviewed the hail mary Tom Brady threw in the Superbowl??

6 minutes ago, Injured_Reserve said:

What would have happened if they reviewed the hail mary Tom Brady threw in the Superbowl??

Yeah, wait until they challenge an incomplete hail mary and they change the call to PI and put the ball at the 1. Teams and fans will lose their sheet.

There's all kinds of PI on both teams on a hail mary. How will that work?

24 minutes ago, Injured_Reserve said:

Hard to say. Gronkowski looked to have a push off of his own. Could have been off setting and essentially ended the game since no time was left. Not sure how off setting fouls work with no time left. 

52 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hard to say. Gronkowski looked to have a push off of his own. Could have been off setting and essentially ended the game since no time was left. Not sure how off setting fouls work with no time left. 

I wonder if they will look at the entire play or just the part the team is challenging.

Not sure if a game can end on off-setting penalties or if they run an untimed down.

54 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Brady was outside the tackle box. He is then classified as a runner. Contact  downfield is allowed on running plays. 

99.99999% of Hail Marys are during the last play of the half/game, so challenging them won't be an option anyways.

Hopefully the replay booth is told to put in cork in it when it comes to reviewing Hail Marys. I remember Gene Steratore saying after SB52 that Hail Marys are basically treated as a free for all and that it would take something so incredibly egregious to warrant throwing a flag. Let's keep it that way.

1 hour ago, faceman said:

Brady was outside the tackle box. He is then classified as a runner. Contact  downfield is allowed on running plays. 

Good point. Same reason Mills wouldn’t have been called at the end of the Falcons game. 

7 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

99.99999% of Hail Marys are during the last play of the half/game, so challenging them won't be an option anyways.

Hopefully the replay booth is told to put in cork in it when it comes to reviewing Hail Marys. I remember Gene Steratore saying after SB52 that Hail Marys are basically treated as a free for all and that it would take something so incredibly egregious to warrant throwing a flag. Let's keep it that way.

I believe Mike Peraria (sp) said the same thing. Refs are told to let the play go in those situations. 

2 hours ago, faceman said:

But not if the ball is in the air.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Good point. Same reason Mills wouldn’t have been called at the end of the Falcons game. 

Jones fell down, causing the contact, which was incidental contact anyway.

The NFL butchered this. All we really wanted was the bad/phantom calls to stop and/or them to be reviewable.

The downfall of this is making non-calle reviewable. Now every big play will see a red flag.

So... the face-mask that cost LAR 4 points can’t be changed, but the call that cost the whiners 4 points can be changed?!?!?!?

31 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

So... the face-mask that cost LAR 4 points can’t be changed, but the call that cost the whiners 4 points can be changed?!?!?!?

This is the problem. The non-call on the facemask play changed the likely sequence of events, and effectively altered, to borrow from Star Trek or Marvel, the "timeline". Had the Rams scored via TD (a facemask call would have given them a first and goal) instead of a via FG, it changes the situation, with the Saints trailing instead of tied when they get the ball. I would say that their play calling on the drive might well have changed - though I will admit that Peyton's pass call on the interference play was a gamble and he wasn't playing things close to the vest, so maybe he does call that same play. But would the Saints have approached the drive in the same way had they trailed by 4 instead of being tied at 20?

Football, and every sport for that matter, is a game of chain-reactions based on prior events. Very few games are actually decided by a single play.

I'm not ready to say that the new rule won't work, but it seems to me to be opening a can of worms insofar as it needs to be very specific and very contained, otherwise, it will create more problems than it solves.

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

Well if it works well maybe they will add more penalties that can be challenged. I'd like to see the roughing the passer penalties able to be challenged.

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I believe Mike Peraria (sp) said the same thing. Refs are told to let the play go in those situations. 

Yes he did. He starts talking about it at 5:30