Sign in to follow this  
EaglesRocker97

Kliff Kingsbury to Give Cardinals' Players Cellphone Breaks

Will juice boxes also be provided?

Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone breaks'

• weinfuss_josh.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Josh WeinfussESPN Staff Writer

Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings. He did something similar while coach at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.

"They're itching to get to those things," he said.

Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts seeing players lose interest.

"You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we'll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus," Kingsbury said.

While coaching the Red Raiders the past six years, Kingsbury saw firsthand just how short young football players' attention spans can be. Kingsbury said the average age in the NFL is 25, not much older than the players he coached in college.

Instead of asking them to sit for longer stretches, Kingsbury will adjust his meetings to maximize their focus.

"I think coming from the college ranks to obviously, those young men, it's got to be quick hitters, 20 minutes at a time, give them a break and get them back in," he said. "We want to make sure that when we have them, they're focused, and they're locked in, and we're maximizing their time.

"So if we've got to split it up or have shorter meetings, that's what we do."

When Kingsbury gets a break to check his phone, what is he looking at?

"My favorite app to check? ESPN.com, probably," he said. "Look at scores. March Madness scores -- that's about it."

Oh boy, I already know how this one will go. OP this is the wrong crowd for this, please delete this and spare all young people the suffering about to rain down. lol

Who will the Cardinals next head coach be? I don't think this guy will last more than a couple of years.

42 minutes ago, AmericanEagle77 said:

Oh boy, I already know how this one will go. OP this is the wrong crowd for this, please delete this and spare all young people the suffering about to rain down. lol

Depends on your perspective. If you read my snarky comment at the top, I think I found the right crowd, lol.

Im gonna run this by my boss at work, see what he says.

Or maybe i can go talk to my sons principal see if maybe they can implement this in his school😒

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

Or maybe i can go talk to my sons principal see if maybe they can implement this in his school😒

I've worked in a lot of different schools, and the kids are on them all the time in the middle of class at most places. There's no enforcement or backing from administrators, and it's a major problem. What they should do is make kids check them at the door.  They literally can't live without them. Sad and pathetic. We're screwed when the next generation takes over. 

It’s a good idea. Any of you that have taught a class, held a lecture or lead a meeting in a corporate setting know that eyes start to glaze over after a certain amount of time. He’s trying different methods to keep young guys engaged. 

The results will speak for themselves. If AZ never improves under Kingsbury, the obvious chatter is going to center around, "Well, maybe if they spent more time in the meetings and less time worrying about their next cell phone break"

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I'd be skeptical about this. This isn't college anymore. You're getting paid good money to play football, and that includes all the prep that goes with it.

Are the Cards crazy enough to listen to Kingsbury and draft Murray? rumor going around said the Giants offered a 2nd for Rosen Cards refuse they want a first lol..

Should end as well as most college coaches that try to do college things in the pros. 

8 minutes ago, pencil face said:

Are the Cards crazy enough to listen to Kingsbury and draft Murray? rumor going around said the Giants offered a 2nd for Rosen Cards refuse they want a first lol..

They won't get pick #6 from Giants. Never was going to happen. If Cardinals don't really want Rosen, just take 2nd round pick and move on to someone they actually want.

Deary me. These guys are professional sportsmen and they need to be treated like kids? In my job I don't get a break every 20 minutes from meetings to check social media. Either Kingsbury needs to toughen up or these football players need a reality check. 

Let me see if I understand this:

Plan shorter meetings, to keep players focused and engaged? Sounds effective. :thumbsup:

We want to make sure that when we have them, they're focused, and they're locked in, and we're maximizing their time. So if we've got to split it up or have shorter meetings, that's what we do.

Give them breaks to use cellphones? Bad! :furious:

:rolleyes:

I can just picture the Cardinals' halftime locker room.

Second Half adjustments? Oh, sorry, the guys were on their cellphones.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:32 AM, EaglesRocker97 said:

"You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we'll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus," Kingsbury said.

Technology addiction.

Kingsbury is an enabler.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Who will the Cardinals next head coach be? I don't think this guy will last more than a couple of years.

You're probably right, although the Cards were the franchise that brought Don Coryell into the league.

The Cardinals are going to be a train wreck.  I don't know how their GM Steve Keim still has a job.  He gets a DUI. He hires a coach and then fires the coach after 1 season. He drafts a QB in Round 1 and is about to give up on the QB after one season.  He hires a college HC with a losing record who's first order of business is to implement cell phone breaks.

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

The Cardinals are going to be a train wreck.  I don't know how their GM Steve Keim still has a job.  He gets a DUI. He hires a coach and then fires the coach after 1 season. He drafts a QB in Round 1 and is about to give up on the QB after one season.  He hires a college HC with a losing record who's first order of business is to implement cell phone breaks.

Is Kingsbuty (and Tomlin) trying to be like Doug Pederson?

4 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Is Kingsbuty (and Tomlin) trying to be like Doug Pederson?

Kingsbury is trying to be like McVay. The Cards are trying to follow the Rams model and it is going to backfire.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, CaliEagle said:

Kingsbury is trying to be like McVay. The Cards are trying to follow the Rams model and it is going to backfire.

McVay gives cell phone breaks?

On 3/27/2019 at 2:34 PM, BKLYNYG said:

It’s a good idea. Any of you that have taught a class, held a lecture or lead a meeting in a corporate setting know that eyes start to glaze over after a certain amount of time. He’s trying different methods to keep young guys engaged. 

Totally agree. Weird how people seem to think it’s bad. 

On 3/28/2019 at 9:44 PM, CaliEagle said:

Don't they just call that a bathroom break? Lol