DeathByEagle

AAF Officially Dead , 2 weeks before end of season.

Not sure its the time of year. Seams to be more of the product put on the field. If it was the NFL starting early or even college, it would be thriving. I watched only a few games and they were horrible and boring. Just not good football. 

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

Not sure its the time of year. Seams to be more of the product put on the field. If it was the NFL starting early or even college, it would be thriving. I watched only a few games and they were horrible and boring. Just not good football. 

Yeah I mean I guess that goes without saying right? The quality has to be there but it's not going to be because the best play in the NFL. And I think the XFL are going to end up the same way in a couple of years. 

They were still playing?

It was THIS close to folding after the first week, so it's not a shock.

XFL at least lasted a full season last time, and probably will again next year.  AAF was a scheme to try and beat the XFL to the punch of an agreement with the NFLPA.  Now that that is not coming to fruition, they're folding.

I watched week one. By week 2, my interest waned. By week 3, I forgot there were still games on. Oh well. 

Try again Johnny Football. 

16 minutes ago, paco said:

Yup, they had issues paying their players after week one, if it weren't for Dundon injecting $250 million into it, they would've folded then.

46 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well... I guess that helps the XFL? But more likely shows there's no market for football at this time of year. 

The USFL, in the 80's, did well in the Spring. It died after a few years, but it was good football. I loved my Stars! Hated to see Kelvin Bryant go to the Redskins though.

Either Dundon's investment (er, bailout) money ran out, or

17 hours ago, paco said:

They were in trouble to begin with for sure, so yeah. 

The real problem is this is NOT 1983 (when the USFL started) or 2001 (when the XFL's first ill-fated try happened).  The NBA is WAY more popular now than it ever has been (actually passing baseball for second in popularity) as is college basketball.  That likely played a big part as well.

I suspect because Vince McMahon is behind it the XFL will succeed, but it will be an uphill climb.  

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The USFL, in the 80's, did well in the Spring. It died after a few years, but it was good football. I loved my Stars! Hated to see Kelvin Bryant go to the Redskins though.

That was because Trump, after essentially being rejected to buy the Cowboys in 1983 for $50 Million wanted to force a merger with the NFL.  

I don't understand why the NFL doesn't embrace this league and financially support it.....the development aspect of it was proven in NFL Europe.  It adds another dimension to talent availability and development.

Why doesn't NFL support a development league? 
I suppose NFL Europe had a dual purpose - expose the game to another continent so it might grow internationally and develop marginal players (also, they could experiment with rules and things). They abandoned the idea when they found the game wasn't growing. I guess the owners were left with a bad taste in their mouth, bleeding money to support the league... I suppose they wanted to see if AAF could support itself.  But the development aspect improved the NFL game domestically. Perhaps if they kept the development league in this hemisphere, the expenses will be lower.

4 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

They were in trouble to begin with for sure, so yeah. 

The real problem is this is NOT 1983 (when the USFL started) or 2001 (when the XFL's first ill-fated try happened).  The NBA is WAY more popular now than it ever has been (actually passing baseball for second in popularity) as is college basketball.  That likely played a big part as well.

I suspect because Vince McMahon is behind it the XFL will succeed, but it will be an uphill climb.  

Vince was behind the XFL before and it lasted one season. If he tries to make it a gimmick league like he did before, it’ll fail again. 

XFL take notes...…………...don't even bother trying.  Just save your money.

The NFL should do a development league like the NBA does though. Just can't call it something weird like the AAF or XFL.  Have to include the NFL name in there.   I'd 100% watch if the Eagles had a team of developmental players associated with the organization.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Vince was behind the XFL before and it lasted one season. If he tries to make it a gimmick league like he did before, it’ll fail again. 

Need to watch the 30 for 30 on the XFL.  Wasn't Vince's fault.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:06 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Agree. Even with the no kickoff and other rules it was like watching grass grow. 

1 hour ago, RepPhilly said:

XFL take notes...…………...don't even bother trying.  Just save your money.

The NFL should do a development league like the NBA does though. Just can't call it something weird like the AAF or XFL.  Have to include the NFL name in there.   I'd 100% watch if the Eagles had a team of developmental players associated with the organization.

In NFL Europe, they had guys who "owned" by certain NFL teams.  If NFL teams just put up their practice squads that would give the "development" league 320 to choose from......there are a number of ways to do it.  NFL teams could regionally share a team.....

Their best players were guys who played on NFL Practice Squads.  I guess that's about right for a developmental league.  But it made for some pretty terrible football.  The only way I could watch is was when there was nothing else on and when I could use it as background noise while I was doing something else.  When I actually paid attention, it was so bad that I just couldn't maintain interest.  I do wish they'd stuck it out long enough to finish their season.  They were only a couple of weeks from being done.  But they couldn't complete passes.  Why should they be able to compete a season?