Captain F

What is Chucky up to?

Welcome to Year 2 of the Jon Gruden Experience with the Raiders. Anything can happen, and it's sure to be interesting. 

That certainly won't change with the 2019 NFL Draft starting this Thursday. 

On Thursday, NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported the Raiders sent home scouts due to a lack of trust on draft notes. General manager Mike Mayock is so protective of his draft binder, he even hid it from his own daughter

But that's just the beginning to this story. 

Rapoport on Monday further detailed the Raiders' reasons for sending home scouts, and it indicates a wild first round of the draft. 

"From what I understand, what the Raiders are looking at is some sort of surprise pick at No. 4 that would necessitate absolute secrecy," he said on the NFL Network. 

Embedded video

From Up to the Minute Live: The #Raiders pick at No. 4 could be a big surprise, based on the views of some who won't be there to witness it.

Now what exactly would a surprise pick be? Could it be doing whatever it takes to add quarterback Kyler Murray? Maybe they have their eyes on another QB like Missouri's Drew Lock, who a recent mock draft had the Raiders taking via a trade with the 49ers.

If the surprise will be in fact a signal-caller, Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins could be an option, as the Raiders reportedly are "super impressed" with the former Buckeye.

Mayock said in January he wants to create an open building with transparency between coaches and scouts, with everyone pulling in the same direction. Perhaps that means more employees of his and Gruden's liking than anyone else's. 

The Raiders' draft room will be busy come Thursday night, though it might be a little more empty than usual. The scouts who were sent home could soon be looking for new jobs. 

"For a lot of them there isn't a reason to come back because they're going to have significant turnover if the draft room," Rapoport said. "And a lot of those guys who left,

Hold onto your seats, Thursday can't come soon enough.

If they pick Haskins and Murray is still on the board that will be intriguing.  What teams will then scramble to trade up.

They're planning a trade with the Bears for Mack, and possibly one with the Cowboys for Cooper.

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They're planning a trade with the Bears for Mack, and possibly one with the Cowboys for Cooper.

I was wondering about a Mack trade. How ridiculous would that be.. lol

Janikowski Part 2. 

I am very intrigued with Mayock and his 3 - 1st rd picks.  Maybe the most intriguing draft drama I can remember.  Does he play it safe with real chips on the table?  Does he seize the moment and go nuts?

Am I the only person who thinks that sending the scouts home makes sense? Their work is finished.

They’re taking a long look at that guy from Polk high....4 tds in one game!

26 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Am I the only person who thinks that sending the scouts home makes sense? Their work is finished.

It is not uncommon. They’re making a story out of nothing on that. A lot of teams dwindle down to scouting directors and executive scouts for the war room.

but couple that with the fact that scouts work in 1 year cycles. So right after the draft until the draft next year is 1 full cycle. That means these scouts are all reggie Mckenzie’s guys, Mayock has no affiliation with them. Then consider Meckenzie was there for awhile, the scouts were around long before Gruden. It would have made no sense to replace all your scouts in January when Mayock came on. So the real story should be that Gruden sent his scouts home for good.

6 hours ago, Captain F said:
Welcome to Year 2 of the Jon Gruden Experience with the Raiders. Anything can happen, and it's sure to be interesting. 

That certainly won't change with the 2019 NFL Draft starting this Thursday. 

On Thursday, NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported the Raiders sent home scouts due to a lack of trust on draft notes. General manager Mike Mayock is so protective of his draft binder, he even hid it from his own daughter

But that's just the beginning to this story. 

Rapoport on Monday further detailed the Raiders' reasons for sending home scouts, and it indicates a wild first round of the draft. 

"From what I understand, what the Raiders are looking at is some sort of surprise pick at No. 4 that would necessitate absolute secrecy," he said on the NFL Network. 

Embedded video

From Up to the Minute Live: The #Raiders pick at No. 4 could be a big surprise, based on the views of some who won't be there to witness it.

Now what exactly would a surprise pick be? Could it be doing whatever it takes to add quarterback Kyler Murray? Maybe they have their eyes on another QB like Missouri's Drew Lock, who a recent mock draft had the Raiders taking via a trade with the 49ers.

If the surprise will be in fact a signal-caller, Ohio State's Dwayne Haskins could be an option, as the Raiders reportedly are "super impressed" with the former Buckeye.

Mayock said in January he wants to create an open building with transparency between coaches and scouts, with everyone pulling in the same direction. Perhaps that means more employees of his and Gruden's liking than anyone else's. 

The Raiders' draft room will be busy come Thursday night, though it might be a little more empty than usual. The scouts who were sent home could soon be looking for new jobs. 

"For a lot of them there isn't a reason to come back because they're going to have significant turnover if the draft room," Rapoport said. "And a lot of those guys who left,

Hold onto your seats, Thursday can't come soon enough.

Dave Gettleman will I'm sure be off the hook if say the Raiders traded up to 2 to get Haskins.

I don't think it is necessary for them to trade up for a QB. They have an average one. Why trade away your capital when you're only going to hit on two of the three if you're LUCKY... they should sit tight and either pick the best player or trade down for even more picks. Best opportunity to hit on players in the draft isn't to have the highest pick, it is to have the most picks.

Was listening to 97.5 while getting ready this am.  According to Schefter, this is actually very normal.  Lots of teams do this as part of SOP.

I think its easy. Mayock loves any of the 3 dline players that will be there. Which ever one is left, he takes. 

There is a very small chance if they are in love with say Bosa or Williams they are moving up to number 1 to get him, letting Murray slip since he dont fit many system in the NFL. Would be the perfect situation for Zona BUT would Raiders pay the price for one of them guys when they could get a great player on the dline at 4 no matter what? Doubt Mike does that but is a option. 

Mayock is a draft beast and Im sure he will have a great draft. Im not sure why he was not hired by a team before at some position. I will for sure be looking out to see what he does. 

Wouldn't be the first time for him

Creating intrigue so they can trade down

On 4/23/2019 at 2:09 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I am very intrigued with Mayock and his 3 - 1st rd picks.  Maybe the most intriguing draft drama I can remember.  Does he play it safe with real chips on the table?  Does he seize the moment and go nuts?

I thought the Raiders went with an overly cautious high floor draft.  Clelin Ferrell #4?  Then they spend the other 2 picks on a RB and a box safety?  No way in hell this draft was a turning point for the Raiders.

Raiders likely had a D- 1st rd.  Thats really hard to do with 3 picks. 

4 minutes ago, Captain F said:

Raiders likely had a D- 1st rd.  Thats really hard to do with 3 picks. 

Raiders could have come away with Josh Allen, Jerry Tillery and Greedy Williams.  That would have been a trio to change their defense.

14 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I thought the Raiders went with an overly cautious high floor draft.  Clelin Ferrell #4?  Then they spend the other 2 picks on a RB and a box safety?  No way in hell this draft was a turning point for the Raiders.

I don’t think they were that bad. Jacobs is a good RB. Ferrell is highly skilled and a leader. I think they did alright. And that’s coming from a guy who has little respect for Mayocks mocks over the years.  

I just can’t hate on picking CF over Allen if they liked him better. Jacobs was the consensus top back. That’s not bad.

23 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Raiders could have come away with Josh Allen, Jerry Tillery and Greedy Williams.  That would have been a trio to change their defense.

I don’t think I’d trade any Raiders pick for any guy you suggested.

They used their 1st pick on a guy they could have got with their 2nd, maybe even 3rd pick then grabbed a Safety.  

The only suprise i see there is that they didnt grab safeties with all their 1st rnd picks. 

Crack. 

Apparently the answer was crack