McNabbIsGone

Ex NY Jet Mark Gastineau Is Very Ill

2 hours ago, hawkeye said:

1. Revisionist history. Gastineau entered the league when Jimmy Carter was president. They had no idea about CTE 40 years ago. None.  The league has a responsibility to it's alumni. 

2. Eliminate helmets.  Seriously.  It's counter-intuitive but people will get their heads out of the way if they're not wearing helmets. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299501/printable/current-former-players-suggest-doing-away-with-football-helmets

1. Those guys were getting knocked out cold,  or getting their bells rung on a regular basis.  Didn't take a medical breakthrough to know brain damage was being caused.  

2. I actually agree with.  

so sad to hear of this. He was a great player, but aside from that, the way life can leave us without dignity like this is just an awful thought. 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:07 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

Of course he had to tell you who he was 

Why wouldn't he?

He was already over 20 years retired from the NFL!

He has no reasonable expectation that the casual NFL fan

would ever know who he was over 20 years later.

2 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Why wouldn't he?

He was already over 20 years retired from the NFL!

He has no reasonable expectation that the casual NFL fan

would ever know who he was over 20 years later.

Could of just went in and got the work done he needed instead of announcing himself. 

9 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Could of just went in and got the work done he needed instead of announcing himself. 

Pretty much my thought. I’d imagine most customers don’t announce who they are when getting service done on their car. 

The players have a Union for a reason ... that's on them.   They should start taking percentages out of their checks and put towards a health plan. Not many places give a lifetime insurance plan. I get with some of the older players as the money was not what it is today. But today's players should be paying it as those players paved the way for them.  The NFLPA could get a great deal ... workers unions have similar .... Hell even if they have to 50% of the plan the discount they will get from having xxx amount of players.  No way is it on the NFL though. You want to feel bad for people, go take a visit to a local VA or talk to some Vets  about no care

Only one person mentioned the boxing. Mark got into boxing with a shady manager Rick Park who if I remember right was in league with Don King. They set him up with a bunch of bums to get him in the ring for a big pay day. The last guy he boxed was supposed to dive but decided to wreck him. He got his arse beat bad, he wasn't ready for what he got. Watch the story on YouTube. Sad story all the way.

I feel bad for the guy but life is what it is. He was a truly gifted a talent and wasted all his money. It's never going to end. There's always going to be another one. 

Good luck Mark. 

On 6/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, NE.Jon said:

The players have a Union for a reason ... that's on them.   They should start taking percentages out of their checks and put towards a health plan.

They do. It's actually in the CBA, it's called Joint Contribution Credit which began in 2012, in 2012 the credit was $55 million and increases by 5% each year, so this year, that credit will/should be $74,250,000. 

The benefits of the JCC includes payments set aside for healthcare of retired players, medical research and charitable donations of the Joint Contribution, 47.5% is used as a credit toward player costs.