McNabbIsGone

Ex NY Jet Mark Gastineau Is Very Ill

Recommended Posts

He's been battling Dementia / Alzheimer's and now has stage 3 colon cancer.     :facepalm:

He's been doctoring at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philly.

Apparently his funds are running out as they are now taking his home.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ex-jets-great-gastineau-has-gofundme-for-fight-of-his-life/ar-AABRFYu?ocid=spartanntp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mortimer said:

That is a sad story.  

It's a sad story on a number of different levels . . . most immediately it reminds us all of our mortality as humans.

If a bear of a man like Mark Gastineau can become older & frail and fall ill with diseases like dementia & colon cancer what lies ahead for any of us? Granted, the dementia / Alzheimer's aspect is likely NFL trauma induced or, at the very least, made worse by NFL activity. More importantly, Gastineau's case is not unique and there are dozens of stories that are worse, as well as better.

But the commonality between all of them is:  THE  NFL  REFUSES  TO  GIVE  MEANINGFUL  HEALTH  CARE  TO  FORMER  PLAYERS. 

How is that even legally possible??  We now know that repeated head trauma causes a number of physical injuries including the brain. Since the players are the source of all the income the NFL presently enjoys, is it not reasonable to assume they should share in the cost of post-career healthcare for the players? Especially when it's  OBVIOUS  that many of the problems the players suffer from are NFL induced or aggravated?

The appologists will try to weasel out of this by saying all sorts of things in defense of the NFL. But the bottom line is: the players were never aware of the true risk they were accepting until long after the NFL knew . . . and kept silent.

You make your own call . . . but to me this is painfully obvious: 

THE  NFL  NEEDS  TO  TAKE  AN  ACTIVE  ROLL  IN  SAFETY  (which they've done, to a degree)  AND  GIVE  FINANCIAL  ASSISTANCE  TO  THOSE  PLAYERS  WHO  NEED IT . . .

like Gastineau. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was robbed of his sack record when Brett Favre laid down for Michael Strahan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

He was robbed of his sack record when Brett Favre laid down for Michael Strahan.

I agree but that's the least of his worries now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lifetime comprehensive health care program for retired players should be the #1 priority of the NFLPA in the upcoming CBA negotiations after the 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

 

The appologists will try to weasel out of this by saying all sorts of things in defense of the NFL.

I agree. The NFL is like your insurance company saying; "But how were we to know that you would come down with Cancer? We're not responsible for that!"

It's an inhuman and pathetic argument. These guys should be covered like government workers, top to bottom for a lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, madriver said:

I agree. The NFL is like your insurance company saying; "But how were we to know that you would come down with Cancer? We're not responsible for that!"

It's an inhuman and pathetic argument. These guys should be covered like government workers, top to bottom for a lifetime.

Just off the top of my head: Junior Seau. He knew he was sick . . . and I'm sure he deliberately didn't blow his brains out (shot himself in the chest) so his remains could be studied. Aged 43. Same with Dave Duerson who specifically said he was shooting himself in the chest so his brain could be studied. Aged 50. Our own Andre Waters, aged 44,  was diagnosed with CTE after the fact and was part of the push to get the NFL on board with protecting the players better. These guys all committed suicide and are only the tip of the iceberg. What about our own beloved FB Kevin Turner? He didn't have to kill himself . . . the disease did it for him aged 46. 

If the NFL refuses to help these guys then it's time for the players to strike for as long as it takes to get reform.

It makes all their billions of  $$$  look like ill-gotten booty.

And that's exactly what it is, under these circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to play devils advocate....

Every NFL player knows the risk.  They all also know that they get no insurance.  They all also are very willing to sign contracts for millions of dollars and retiring much earlier then the average Joe. 

No one is forcing them to play football. No one is stopping any of them from choosing an education and non physical career path.  

Just read a story on how he showed up to camp in a rolls royce , wearing a fur coat..... 

Ya. I don't feel bad that he is broke.  Sucks about the cancer.  Not the NFLs problem.  

As for CTE itself.... there is no way to eliminate it.  Make all the contact rules you want.  It will still happen on tackles, heads hitting the ground, etc.... so what can the NFL do?  Offer 2 choices....

1. Give players lifetime insurance but explain they still might get cte and won't live past 50 anyways

2. Don't give them insurance,  let them use some of their millions earned to provide it for themselves.

3. End the game

 

Btw. You can buy an insurance policy for roughly $500 a month.  Over 30 years that's about 200k.... no reason these guys can't afford their own healthcare. They choose not to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain F said:

2. Don't give them insurance,  let them use some of their millions earned to provide it for themselves.

 

 

Btw. You can buy an insurance policy for roughly $500 a month.  Over 30 years that's about 200k.... no reason these guys can't afford their own healthcare. They choose not to. 

Exactly, why can't the players pay for insurance policies just like the rest of us, even the government workers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, PoconoDon said:

A lifetime comprehensive health care program for retired players should be the #1 priority of the NFLPA in the upcoming CBA negotiations after the 2020 season.

These are the same guys who repeatedly voted to screw over Bart Starr and his generation.

”This is the players’ association, not the retired players association” was Gene Upshaw’s famous refrain.

Now they reap what they sewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain F said:

Time to play devils advocate....

Every NFL player knows the risk.  They all also know that they get no insurance.  They all also are very willing to sign contracts for millions of dollars and retiring much earlier then the average Joe. 

No one is forcing them to play football. No one is stopping any of them from choosing an education and non physical career path.  

Just read a story on how he showed up to camp in a rolls royce , wearing a fur coat..... 

Ya. I don't feel bad that he is broke.  Sucks about the cancer.  Not the NFLs problem.  

As for CTE itself.... there is no way to eliminate it.  Make all the contact rules you want.  It will still happen on tackles, heads hitting the ground, etc.... so what can the NFL do?  Offer 2 choices....

1. Give players lifetime insurance but explain they still might get cte and won't live past 50 anyways

2. Don't give them insurance,  let them use some of their millions earned to provide it for themselves.

3. End the game

 

Btw. You can buy an insurance policy for roughly $500 a month.  Over 30 years that's about 200k.... no reason these guys can't afford their own healthcare. They choose not to. 

well said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel so bad for this turd.

  • He went to jail for beating his wife.
  • He was arrested for receiving amphetamines in 1991.
  • He was estranged from his daughters from multiple marriages.
  • He took up boxing after football (a far worse getting hit in the head sport)
  • He was an egomaniac living a lavish lifestyle and now the money has run out.

He still gets a fairly huge pension from the NFL btw, good luck getting something similar when you are retired.

He is also the scumbag who crossed the picket line on day 1 of the 1987 strike.

  • He cared nothing about anyone else. Why pretend anyone should care about him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, skippyx said:

I feel so bad for this turd.

  • He went to jail for beating his wife.
  • He was arrested for receiving amphetamines in 1991.
  • He was estranged from his daughters from multiple marriages.
  • He took up boxing after football (a far worse getting hit in the head sport)
  • He was an egomaniac living a lavish lifestyle and now the money has run out.

He still gets a fairly huge pension from the NFL btw, good luck getting something similar when you are retired.

He is also the scumbag who crossed the picket line on day 1 of the 1987 strike.

  • He cared nothing about anyone else. Why pretend anyone should care about him?

I was aware of all of this when this thread was posted but, figured it wouldn't do any good to post anything about it. I'm glad you did though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skippyx said:

I feel so bad for this turd.

  • He went to jail for beating his wife.
  • He was arrested for receiving amphetamines in 1991.
  • He was estranged from his daughters from multiple marriages.
  • He took up boxing after football (a far worse getting hit in the head sport)
  • He was an egomaniac living a lavish lifestyle and now the money has run out.

He still gets a fairly huge pension from the NFL btw, good luck getting something similar when you are retired.

He is also the scumbag who crossed the picket line on day 1 of the 1987 strike.

  • He cared nothing about anyone else. Why pretend anyone should care about him?

Because it's right, regardless of what he "deserves." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Because it's right, regardless of what he "deserves." 

There are billions of people on the planet who need help.

Most of them are not garbage.

The strike was partly about pensions and he was the enemy of the player by crossing the picket line immediately.

He joked it was because he needed to pay alimony.

His teammates who knew him best all hated his guts.

 

Feel free to send him 20 bucks if it strangely makes you feel better to help turd celebrities at the end of their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skippyx said:

There are billions of people on the planet who need help.

Most of them are not garbage.

The strike was partly about pensions and he was the enemy of the player by crossing the picket line immediately.

He joked it was because he needed to pay alimony.

His teammates who knew him best all hated his guts.

 

Feel free to send him 20 bucks if it strangely makes you feel better to help turd celebrities at the end of their lives.

I'm not defending his poor character. I accept he has been a narcissist his whole adult life. That's not what I was addressing in your post. 

I'm just not arrogant enough to presume I'm qualified to be the arbiter of mercy.

Feel free to do so yourself though if it strangely makes you feel better, but beware the Fundamental Attribution Error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, skippyx said:

There are billions of people on the planet who need help. Most of them are not garbage.

The strike was partly about pensions and he was the enemy of the player by crossing the picket line immediately.

He joked it was because he needed to pay alimony. His teammates who knew him best all hated his guts.

Feel free to send him 20 bucks if it strangely makes you feel better to help turd celebrities at the end of their lives.

All of that is pretty harsh.

I 'get' what you're saying and I think to a point you're correct: he has to accept some responsibility for what he's done and for what's happened to him.

That does not, however, entitle the NFL, who knowingly witheld medical info on the many dangers of playing in the NFL, to completly ignore his plight.

Nor does it permit any of us to stand in judgement of this mans' actions going back some 35 or 40 years.

Let's not forget: this man's career ended well before the free-agency bonanza of the mid-90's onward.

I'd also submit to you that at some point in his life he changed his ways for a better life and is now not the same person you describe above.

Feel free to dismiss this all as BS but remember this: The essence of most Western religions is the forgiveness of sins.

I would urge you to not judge him too harshly.  After all:    "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not stopping anyone from giving him thousands of dollars.

I'm not even telling anyone they should not give him money.

I also think we should not pretend he was not one of the worst teammates in the history of American professional sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of guys in the league who are good men...Long, Wentz, Aikman, Dawk...and I would say that the list of decent men is probably a lot longer.  

It's a tough business for sure, but no need to make it a cruel one as well.

And speaking of narcissistic scumbags, It's not as if Robert Kraft couldn't throw a few less dollars at massages and human trafficking and open up the wallet for his players' health. Everytime you watch a Gillette commercial you're making him richer.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, skippyx said:

I am not stopping anyone from giving him thousands of dollars.

I'm not even telling anyone they should not give him money.

I also think we should not pretend he was not one of the worst teammates in the history of American professional sports.

Maybe so . . . but that's irrelevant to the discussion. If you have a few minutes to kill, listen up and I'll tell you a story:

Seven or eight years ago I was running the MIDAS on Rt 33 in Hamilton Square, NJ. It's still there to this day right across the street from Hamilton Nissan. One day this guy drives up in a white Caddy CTS. He gets out and I noted right away how big he was. He walks through the door, sticks his hand out, crushes my hand and says, "Hi! I'm Mark Gastineau! Do you remember me? Are you a football fan?" Being a 'closet' Jets fan I knew exactly who he was. So I said, "Hell yeah! You, Marty Lyons and Joe Klecko were 'The Sack Exchange!' Your QB was Richard Todd and you were the 'Sack Dance' guy!" At some point his lovely wife came in and joined the conversation. By now the guys in the shop were aware that we had a celebrity former NFL person as a brake customer. Turns out our lead tech's dad was a rabid Jets fan as was our owner's dad. His front brakes were shot so we were putting on pads & rotors for him. While he was waiting he went out to his car and produced a bunch of high-gloss, professionally produced  8 x 10  photos of him in his prime back in the late 70's. He personalized 7 or 8 for every one of us and our dads & owner and signed them all. His conversation was very low key, respectful, thoughtful and intelligent. It was obvious that he'd had some sort of religious intervention in his life. He seemed so pleased that we all remembered him. He seemed like a really nice guy.

The point is: this is my 1st hand memory of him then . . . and even if what you say about his past is true, I'm absolutely certain that person no longer exists. This is the person I think of when I consider him fighting dementia and colon cancer . . . and the bank taking his home because he's apparently run out of money.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sad on Gastineau:

Growing up in New York, I was a Jets and Giants fan (didn't become an Eagles fan until Cunningham was playing for them in 1986 in his second year and actually went to the 1981 Wild Card game against the Bills that would turn out to be the only time the Jets hosted a playoff game at Shea Stadium post-merger) and I remember how fierce he along with Marty Lyons, Abdul Salaam and Joe Klecko as "The New York Sack Exchange" were back then.  The biggest moment for them was probably the December 20, 1981 regular season finale at Shea against the Packers (that also turned out to be Vin Scully's final regular season NFL broadcast) when the Jets ended a combined 30 years of futility for New York's football teams as that win put the Jets in the playoffs for the first time since 1969 AND the Giants into the playoffs for the first time since 1963 (back in the days when the NFL Championship was the only playoff game).  Many older Jets and Giants fans remember that weekend because the day before, the Giants beat the Cowboys in Giants Stadium to set up where a Jets win got both teams in (or course, Eagles fans hated it the following Sunday when the Giants beat the Eagles in The Vet in what would turn out to be the last playoff game for the Eagles under D Vermeil).  

Other NFL players and the NFLPA need to come together on this one, though what about his family?  Lisa Gastineau (Mark's first wife) and his daughters I believe have money as well (the Gastineau women were featured a number of years ago in an E! reality series as I remember). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, Captain F said:

Time to play devils advocate....

Every NFL player knows the risk.  They all also know that they get no insurance.  They all also are very willing to sign contracts for millions of dollars and retiring much earlier then the average Joe. 

No one is forcing them to play football. No one is stopping any of them from choosing an education and non physical career path.  

Just read a story on how he showed up to camp in a rolls royce , wearing a fur coat..... 

Ya. I don't feel bad that he is broke.  Sucks about the cancer.  Not the NFLs problem.  

As for CTE itself.... there is no way to eliminate it.  Make all the contact rules you want.  It will still happen on tackles, heads hitting the ground, etc.... so what can the NFL do?  Offer 2 choices....

1. Give players lifetime insurance but explain they still might get cte and won't live past 50 anyways

2. Don't give them insurance,  let them use some of their millions earned to provide it for themselves.

3. End the game

 

Btw. You can buy an insurance policy for roughly $500 a month.  Over 30 years that's about 200k.... no reason these guys can't afford their own healthcare. They choose not to. 

1. Revisionist history. Gastineau entered the league when Jimmy Carter was president. They had no idea about CTE 40 years ago. None.  The league has a responsibility to it's alumni. 

2. Eliminate helmets.  Seriously.  It's counter-intuitive but people will get their heads out of the way if they're not wearing helmets. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000299501/printable/current-former-players-suggest-doing-away-with-football-helmets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now