Sign in to follow this  
Don Corleone

NFL labor talks could include 18-game season, more playoff teams, new marijuana policy

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So what happened in 1987 bud?

The players went on strike and the NFL hired replacement players for 3 weeks until the NFLPA decided to end their strike.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 about it called Year of the Scab

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

The players went on strike and the NFL hired replacement players for 3 weeks until the NFLPA decided to end their strike.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 about it called Year of the Scab

Ah thank you very much I'll check it out.

I am not down with expanded playoffs or 18 games.  I also believe they should eliminate the scheduling atrocity that is Thursday Night football.  What i do think they should do is add an extra bye week for each team, expanding the regular season to 18 weeks.

22 hours ago, Prime said:

I'd be happy with an 18 game season with an extra bye and expanded rosters.

Why?  Look at MLB, expanding to 162 gets you nothing except more 5th starters and backup catchers.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So what happened in 1987 bud?

The owners hired guys off the street to play, since the real players were on strike. They were called 'scabs'.

Of course, I'm not serious about wanting that to happen again. Of the 3 scab games, the Eagles lost all three. Primarily because Buddy refused to actually coach them, he sided with the players.

That season, we went 7-8. The Redskins took the scab games more seriously, and went 11-4 and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

NFL is already a money **** league 

18 games is too many 

was nicer when there was 30 teams, 5 team divisions and no worries about someone winning a weak division at 8-8 

3 hours ago, Eagles9193 said:

NFL is already a money **** league 

18 games is too many 

was nicer when there was 30 teams, 5 team divisions and no worries about someone winning a weak division at 8-8 

Or 7-9. 

There's already 20 games, not including the playoffs. So they'll just convert pre-season games 3 and 4 into regular season games and still have 20 games before getting to the playoffs.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:50 AM, dawkins4prez said:

I am not down with expanded playoffs or 18 games.  I also believe they should eliminate the scheduling atrocity that is Thursday Night football.  What i do think they should do is add an extra bye week for each team, expanding the regular season to 18 weeks.

Agree with all of this right here.

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

There's already 20 games, not including the playoffs. So they'll just convert pre-season games 3 and 4 into regular season games and still have 20 games before getting to the playoffs.

Including playoffs, that could be as many as 22 full games in a season.  Preseason is not like for like because the starters don't play them.  At what point does the season snap count get so high, teams start rotating the starting Qb?

7 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Preseason is not like for like because the starters don't play them. 

The starters do play in pre-season, just not as much as regular season.

But that's one reason that the league would need to make the practice squad part of the full roster, make all 63 active on game day. Maybe even make it a 70 man roster, with 7 being the new practice squad. Or something of that sort.

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The starters do play in pre-season, just not as much as regular season.

But that's one reason that the league would need to make the practice squad part of the full roster, make all 63 active on game day. Maybe even make it a 70 man roster, with 7 being the new practice squad. Or something of that sort.

Exactly.  So you are watering down the product with more snaps for players who shouldn't even be on a roster.  Like I mentioned above, there absolutely does exist a breaking point where more games will only mean more bad players.  MLb has this problem, there just aren't anywhere near enough starting pitchers for 30 x 162.  I actually wish they would go back to 144.

Heck, in the NFl you could totally make the case that going from 14 to 16 games is what ultimately killed the 3 down running back.

36 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Exactly.  So you are watering down the product with more snaps for players who shouldn't even be on a roster.

Who says that those players get snaps? They only get snaps if there's multiple injuries and they have to step into a playing role. That's true of any 16 game season, and would be true of any 18 game season.

This is stupid. Football is about that every inch. The more games, the less that games mean anything, the more plays are taken off. I hate Goodell

They should expand the roster regardless, it's stupid that you have a 53 man roster and only 46 of them actually get to play. Never made any sense. Let teams have a 55 man roster (all able to be active on gameday) plus the 10 man practice squad. Added two roster spots just because I like things in 5s and 50 is not enough.

15 hours ago, BDAWK_4EVER said:

They should expand the roster regardless, it's stupid that you have a 53 man roster and only 46 of them actually get to play. Never made any sense. Let teams have a 55 man roster (all able to be active on gameday) plus the 10 man practice squad. Added two roster spots just because I like things in 5s and 50 is not enough.

It's a little harder to abuse than a DL.  It's not a bad system.