Eagles9193

All Time QB rankings... Do championships matter?

Inspired from the other thread where a lot of people are ranking Foles over McNabb even though Foles had a very limited overall body of work, and the argument can be easily made that the 2017 Eagles were loaded and would’ve won with Wentz anyway.

That being said who is the all time best QB league wide ?

Also, are guys like Marino automatically listed after bums like Rypken, McMahon, Dilfer, Johnson and so forth ? 

Is Bradshaw a top 3 QB based solely on his rings ? 

Whats everyone’s top 10? 

I’m going

Peyton Manning - never had the coaching or defenses Brady did while with Colts. Put up huge stats, did win mult SBs

Montana - Best clutch QB in play offs history

Brady - I don’t even wanna put him this high. All of the patriots cheating allegations make everything they’ve done suspicious. I still believe they taped teams walk through a for years. 

Elway - was solid but heavily aided by Def and Terrell Davis to win his SBs

Marino- Easily is best QB ever if he wins one SB. Ran into very good Bills teams AND Miami never got him a defense or RB. Played in a pass happy system that wasn’t balanced enough to win all the time. 

Drew Brees - Had better offensive minds and running games then Marino 

Fran Tarkington - had the stats and wins but not SBs. Lost to historically great Dolphins , Steelers and Raiders teams. 

Farve - overrated in my book. The 96 GB team was stacked and had a #1 D.  Threw too many INTs

Unitas- Solid QB

Aaron Rodgers - if he wasn’t so greedy the packers would’ve had more money for better players and he would’ve won a lot more. 

Brady and Manning both had defensive minded head coaches so what better coaching did Brady get? Also Peyton's 2nd super bowl was won because of a a once in a generation defense. 

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Brady

Montana

Everyone else

The end.

So Rodgers and Sanchez are tied for 3rd with everyone else? Odd.

19 hours ago, Eagles9193 said:

Inspired from the other thread where a lot of people are ranking Foles over McNabb even though Foles had a very limited overall body of work, and the argument can be easily made that the 2017 Eagles were loaded and would’ve won with Wentz anyway.

That being said who is the all time best QB league wide ?

Also, are guys like Marino automatically listed after bums like Rypken, McMahon, Dilfer, Johnson and so forth ? 

Is Bradshaw a top 3 QB based solely on his rings ? 

Whats everyone’s top 10? 

The McNabb Foles arguement is tough because while McNabb was good he does not have elite stats. Foles has the SB. If a guy has a superbowl or even 2 and a mediocre career, it doesnt automatically put him over an elite passer with no ring IMO. But McNabb does bot have those elite stats. Part of that was the rest of the offense, especially at WR. Part of it was deficiencies in his game.

Montanna never lost a super bowl hes tops in my book.

Brady is a cheater as is his coach.

Who Cares?

What's The Point?

Why Bother?

You can't rank "all-time". How do you compare Tommy Thompson to Joe Montana or Carson Wentz? You can't. I don't even think it's valid to rank all QBs from the Super Bowl era to one another.

Define each era, then rank by era.

I love Kurt Warner and his story but he doesn't belong in the HOF.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You can't rank "all-time". How do you compare Tommy Thompson to Joe Montana or Carson Wentz? You can't. I don't even think it's valid to rank all QBs from the Super Bowl era to one another.

Define each era, then rank by era.

Let’s see it...

On 6/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, Utebird said:

Montanna never lost a super bowl hes tops in my book.

Brady is a cheater as is his coach.

Brady - two more wins, three more appearances... montana playing on a stacked team without having to worry about roster churn/free agency & the salary cap...

brady v montana stopped being close after sb49

1 hour ago, Pape said:

Brady - two more wins, three more appearances... montana playing on a stacked team without having to worry about roster churn/free agency & the salary cap...

Montana’s cheating scandles 0

Brady too many to count 

11 minutes ago, Eagles9193 said:

Montana’s cheating scandles 0

Brady too many to count 

if thats all you can come up with, then i know im right

2 hours ago, Pape said:

Montanna never cheated, every other team in league also didnt have FA so its not like montanna had an unfair advantage.

And again montanna never cheated, brady or his coach and organization have been busted for cheating twice.

Brady cheating scandals 2 Montana 0

1 hour ago, Pape said:

if thats all you can come up with, then i know im right

Taping teams walk through a and signals is a huge advantage 

Tom Brady is a ho

Just my opinion, Dan Marino is the best all time.

Dude had nothing to work with.....couple a crackheads at WR and no run game.

2 hours ago, Eagles9193 said:

Taping teams walk through a and signals is a huge advantage

never happened

3 hours ago, Utebird said:

Montanna never cheated

neither did Brady, so ...

1 hour ago, Eagles9193 said:

Then why were they penalized ?

stupid F

18366734-39D2-4C8D-A5FC-CF6F6E46E27B.jpeg

filming was perfectly legal. The only thing the Patriots did wrong was have the camera in an inappropriate location. The actual rule is below... they pere penalized because Goodell is an a** ... but hey, if you want to defend how goodell handles things, be my guest

NFL Policy Manual for Member Clubs, Volume II: NFL Game Operations Manual, General, Pages A105-A106:

V. Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations

A. No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.

B. If clubs believe that violations of any of the Origination, Editing, Exchange, or Shipping rules have occurred, such violations should be brought to the attention of the Vice President of Officiating. Also, please inform the Video Directors Committee of any known violations. The Competition Committee will also urge that the Commissioner take appropriate disciplinary action in cases of substantiated violations.

C. Teams will be required to supply a yearly allotment of tapes to the Dub Center at NFL Films. Quantity required per club will be given to each team by May prior to the upcoming season. Tape stock will consist of brand-new 62-minute Beta SX tapes. For the 2007 season, 4,400 NEW tapes will be required.

D. To ensure the protection of equipment and employees of the team's video departments, please follow the guidelines listed for the video shooting locations at your stadium:

-All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.

-Any doors entering the shooting locations within the public seating areas of the stadium are required to be lockable from both the inside and the outside of the location to prevent unwarranted access.

-All locations must have climate control (heat and/or fans). Any heaters and/or fans must be completely operational and produce the effect that is required. Heaters that do not produce any heat should be replaced.

-All locations must supply adequate power for each team (at least two outlets per team).

-All locations must be installed with the required video printer lines from both the sideline and the end zone shooting locations to the coaches' booth and field. It is not required that wiring be installed for the opposite end zone position, but if the opposite end zone is wired for the home team, it must also be wired for the visiting team. Home teams must provide visiting teams with the same situational set up for printers that they have themselves (i.e. cover, placement behind the bench, etc.)

-It is suggested that each location provide either countertop space or tables for both teams in the booth and a table on the field and coaches' booth.

Please ascertain that your club is in compliance with these guidelines.

1 hour ago, Pape said:

filming was perfectly legal. The only thing the Patriots did wrong was have the camera in an inappropriate location. The actual rule is below... they pere penalized because Goodell is an a** ... but hey, if you want to defend how goodell handles things, be my guest

I was going to say I thought they were allowed to film walk throughs and they can just watch game film to get the hand signals. These teams put in a lot of work to watch every teams moves they all pretty much know what the opponent is doing to some degree . It's all about execution. 

14 hours ago, Pape said:

never happened

The Earth if flat and men never landed on the moon.

:rolleyes:

Back to the OP's point: no you can't rank rypien, williams, mcmahon and dilfer with the greats, I don't care what era they were in.

Many of the QBs who won it all got in because of injury or in the case of guys like Dilfer had generational defenses to carry them.

Marino has to be at or near the top because of 16-0.

I'd add Steve Young in there too, not far behind Montana.