Sign in to follow this  
RJP2743

Coming to Philadelphia on Monday - Need some help

Planning a trip into the city on Monday and coming from about 3 hours away. The plan is to go to Pats/Genos some time between lunch and dinner and then head over to citizens bank park for the Phillies game at 7.

I would like to get to the Phillies game about 2 hours before the game starts. So what time should I plan on getting to Pats/Genos? I have no idea how long it's going to take to get from there to CBP during rush hour traffic. I was thinking about taking the metro from somewhere to the ball park and then back, but I'm not sure I want to be doing that late at night after the game with three kids with me.

Thank you for any tips or information. 

You'll be fine using the SEPTA Broad Street Line at night after a game; many people will be riding the BSL after the game.

Both Pat's and Geno's are near 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue in south Philadelphia; the perpendicular streets to 9th are Federal and Wharton.  It is probably roughly 2 1/2 miles south from the two cheesesteak places to Citizens Bank Park, so they are relatively close to the ballpark.  There is a Broad Street Line between Ellsworth and Federal on Broad Street (equivalent to 14th Street), so Pat's and Geno's can be reached by foot via the Broad Street Line, though it is a bit of a walk.  Parking at CBP is I think $18, so if you have four people, driving to the park may be a good idea.  (I'm unsure if SEPTA offers discounts to kids riding with an adult.)

I recommend getting to the cheesesteak places by 4:15 PM to 4:30 PM assuming you drive and park there (and probably roughly 20 minutes earlier if you take SEPTA).  I think they probably won't open the parking gates until 5 PM, so you don't want to get there too early; getting there by 5:30 PM will still allow you to beat most people to the ballpark.

I recommend skipping those 2 ish holes and getting a real cheesesteak. 

On 6/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, Captain F said:

I recommend skipping those 2 ish holes and getting a real cheesesteak. 

Bingo. They are the worst cheese steaks in Philly and South Jersey. They only get the hype by outsiders who see them on the MNF games. Tons of other places. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit 4 or 5 better places.