Hi All,

For many, many years i've been an avid Eagles fan, following them from where-ever i've been living at the time - whether that's the UK, Japan, Germany, or now France.
Now though the end of my wait to see them play is getting closer, as finally i'll be at the Linc for the season opener for the game against Washington.
Not only will it be my first Eagles game (couldn't get tickets in London last season) but my first regular season NFL game too. And i can't wait :)

Does anyone have any advice for a non-US game day noob, especially about some of the points below?

The Game is at 1pm - lunch time. I've read that eating/drinking at the Linc isn't often a great plan, so what are the better ways to make sure you don't get hungry/thirsty?

Tailgating. We really want to experience it, but how does it work if we know no-one in town? I've been offered tickets to a commercial tailgate, but i'm not sure if its going to be a good thing or not.

We'll be on the shady side. Early afternoon in September - not going to be too chilly is it? Or will we be in sun for the early part of the afternoon?

Is it worth taking a camera (dslr)? Or from a security/safety point of view will it cause more problems than it's worth (just leave it in the hotel)?

The clear bag policy seems...clear. Any other tips of what to/not bring not already included on the website?

Apart from skipping food inside the Linc, not standing up and getting a clear bag what else should we avoid doing? Or what must we do?

Cheers,

Mal

Congrats! I like going to early season games in September because the weather in Philly doesn't get much better, comfortable temperatures, etc. But it can deviate either way:  it can get really hot, or chilly where you need a jacket, or rain, so watch the weather and be prepared.

The commercial tailgate is a good idea, especially if you haven't tailgated before and don't know what to bring. They will have all the food and drink ready for you. Fill up before the game, because food/drink lines inside the stadium are long and it's guaranteed you will miss some of the game waiting in line. I always plan to bring something to eat in the parking lot before the game, and go get something after it is over.

I try to take as little as possible into the stadium because of security. You will go through metal detectors and bags will be searched, etc. The camera should be fine as long as it's in the clear bag. Don't bring it in a separate, concealed case. LINK

As for cheering, follow what the people in your section are doing and you will be fine. Stay quiet while the offense is on the field but you can cheer for a good play. Stand up and give high-fives when they score. You can get loud while the defense is on the field. Some sections will stand and cheer for the defense, some stay seated, so just follow along.

Arrive early. Headhouse Plaza opens at 10:00, there's usually a band playing and some activity going on. Hang out there until the inner gates open at 11:30, go inside there and check out the lobby by the Pro Shop. There's some cool stuff there. If your seats are in the upper section, plan to be through security by 12:30 or you might miss some of the game. The lines get longer the closer to 1:00 it gets.

Have fun! Go Eagles!

Excellent, thanks for the Info.

We're in a lower section. What kind of time should we plan to clear security if we want to catch the coin toss?

Hello @MalFr, I'm afraid that I can't be of much help with your gameday questions, as I've never actually been to an Eagles game either (I know, shame on me). There's plenty of people here on the boards who've been to a lot of games, some season ticket holders or ex-season ticket holders as well as some who've just been to various games, here and there.

@EagleJoe8 or  @FranklinFldEBUpper might also be able to give you some pointers and tips for gameday. One thing that I fully plan to do, when I finally do make my first trip to Philly, so I would suggest that you do too, is get a cheesesteak. Where should you get it from? Well, I'll let someone else answer that, but I've always heard great things about Geno's. Just be sure to study up on how to order.

So, are you French or from one of the other countries that you mentioned (or from someplace you didn't mention)? How did you become an Eagles fan?

One other thing that I'd recommend, go into the Ask Dave Spadaro forum (Sometime between now and the start of training camp) and start a thread telling Dave that you'll be in Philly for your first game and tell him that you're flying in from France for the game. In the past, I've seen him set up a tour of Nova Care (if/when possible), or at the very least meet someone before the game (again, when/if possible) to shake hands and say hello. Of course, I certainly can't promise that any of that would be possible, but it never hurts to try and if it is possible, it would make for a truly memorable experience (above and beyond the gameday experience).

Regardless of all that though, if you have your camera at the stadium then post some pictures in here, after you get back home and let us know how the experience was.

2 hours ago, MalFr said:

Excellent, thanks for the Info.

We're in a lower section. What kind of time should we plan to clear security if we want to catch the coin toss?

I'm a former season ticket holder. Sadly, most of that time was by myself as the friend who I had tickets with forgot to renew prior to the 01 season.

Anyway, depending on how early you get to the complex, and I do recommend getting there early, like 7 or 8 am early. Feel free to walk around a bit.  If you see someone cooking out, maybe engage in conversation. Assuming you have an accent, play it to your advantage, and people may welcome an out of country fan, and want to help out your experience and offer you a bite to eat. Good way not to spend on stadium food.

I haven't had season tickets since 2011, so it's been awhile, but I believe the stadium gates open 2 or 3 hours prior to kickoff. As mentioned by @toolg, once you get past security, there are a number of things to see, such as live bands, you can check out the pregame radio show, assuming they still do that. The Eagles gift shop is a place you can visit. Keep in mind, the later you decide to get through security, the more of a crowd you'll have to beat. People love to arrive late.

I would recommend getting through security 1 1/2 - 2 hours prior to kickoff. Check out some of the things to see past security, and head to your seat 30-45 minutes before kickoff, and you should be there in plenty of time to see the coin toss.

Enjoy man!

I can't really offer any advice about tailgating since I never do that. I simply take public transportation to the game and go directly to the stadium.

I suspect that since it's opening day, everyone will be in an upbeat mood, so I suspect everyone will be friendly.

I would recommend getting into the stadium at around noon. At that hour, the line to get in will not be difficult at all. If you wait til 12:30, you're sure to get congestion. Avoid that.

The weather should be lovely at that time of year. Probably in the eighties. I would recommend bringing sunglasses. If you're sitting in the North endzone, the sun will be in your eyes and will be annoying. Same for the East sideline. Obviously it could be cloudy or rainy.

Can't offer any advice about food at the stadium. I'm sure it's overpriced and mediocre.

And only stand if others in front of you are standing. There are few things more annoying than having fans stand up and block your view for no good reason.

I concur with the recommendations to get to the stadium by 12 PM.  You will beat most people to the stadium if you do that and will have no line or only small lines at security.  Additionally, assuming you are staying in a hotel in Center City Philadelphia, I strongly recommend taking the SEPTA Broad Street Line to the stadium complex.  It’s a bit of a walk from the station to the stadium but not a hard walk, and many, many other people will be doing the same thing.  Attire-wise, I’d be surprised if you need a jacket for an early September day game, even sitting in the shade.

One other, non-game recommendation - check out some of the sports apparel stores in or near Philadelphia on a day before the game and buy something you can wear to the game (if you don’t already have apparel).  Your best bets in Center City are Philly Team Store (on Chestnut between 17th and 18th), Modell’s Sporting Goods (two locations, on Chestnut just east of 16th and on Walnut between 16th and 17th), Mitchell & Ness for vintage apparel (on 12th between Market and Chestnut), and Shibe Vintage Sports for Philadelphia-themed apparel (on 13th between Chestnut and Walnut). If you have a car and/or venture to the suburbs, Rally House, Schuylkill Valley Sports, and the Eagles Pro Shop in (I think) Cherry Hill, as well as other Modell’s, also become options.  You can also check out the Eagles Pro Shop at the stadium one of the days before the game (typically open until 5 PM most days) or on game day prior to the game, though on game day the team store is inside the security and ticket checkpoints.

P.S. I’d you aren’t renting a car and are staying at a hotel in Center City, you don’t have to use a taxi or Uber/Lyft to get there; the SEPTA Airport Line runs every 30 minutes from most of the airport terminals to two Center City stations (Suburban Station and Market East/Jefferson Station) as well as 30th Street Station (the primary Amtrak/intercity rail station in Philadelphia) just west across the Schuylkill (pronounced school-kill) River from Center City.

3 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

Mitchell & Ness for vintage apparel...

If vintage is the choice, and it's a jersey, I'd go with Harold Carmichael (17), Jaws (7) or Wilbert Montgomery (31) from the late 70's/early 80's. Reggie White (92) or Randall Cunningham (12)  or maybe even a Jerome Brown (99) or Seth Joyner (59) from the late 80's/early 90's. For the early to mid/late 00's, I think there's really only one choice that should be made. Dawk.

From the current era, if a Foles Super Bowl jersey can be found, that would be a good choice. I personally don't like buying current players jerseys and prefer the 'legacy' jerseys, but after Super Bowl LII, I made an exception and bought a Foles LII jersey, then before the 18 season, I bought a Wentz.

Another question that might not be thought of to be asked, are there any areas of the city that should be avoided, safety wise?

RE: Vintage jerseys - Mitchell & Ness doesn’t make/have all the players you mentioned.  They should have Jaworski, Cunningham, White, Brown, and Dawkins, and might have Carmichael and Montgomery. They almost definitely won’t have Joyner (unfortunately, he’s my all-time favorite Eagles player).

RE: Safe areas - many areas in Philadelphia are at least a little rough, outside of Center City, University City (Penn/Drexel and a little SW of their campuses), Overbrook (first stop going west on the Main Line), City Avenue (St. Joe’s and nearby locations), Chestnut Hill, East Falls, and Temple’s campus.  South Philadelphia has pockets that are alright too, but some sections that are rough.  The worst areas are probably various sections of north Philadelphia, west Philadelphia, and southwest Philadelphia.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments, making me look even more forwards to it now and minicamp has only just ended :)
I'll try and answer in one go:

I'll speak to The Boss and propose that we get there early/mid-morning. We're staying in town so will be taking the septa (?) down to the Linc, I figure it'll be pretty difficult to get lost on the way there. Then get inside for noon, and go get my first timers certificate.

I'm English but i live in France now. I've been following the Eagles since the late '80s-ish when the NFL was just breaking through in the UK. I was working with a Raider and a Washington fan and obviously needed a team - this is at a time when we'd have to go get a specific Tuesday newspaper to find the Sunday night scores. I'd been edging towards the Eagles for whatever reason - perhaps a combination of Reggie/Clyde/Seth and the general swagger i guess. Then one week on our English weekly hour long highlight show they showed this one, single play - i think against the Bills. As i remember it we took the snap inside our our 5 on 3rd-and-not-good, Randall dropped back into the end zone as the DT or DE came around about to be sacked for a safety. Randall ducked under his arm and threw it to Barnett on the right sideline who took it the length of the field, and that just sealed it. Or at least, that's how i remember it. I guess it's probably on youtube now but i don't want to shatter any illusions :). One february evening last year it took me ages to find a live stream of the victory parade that wasn't geoblocked nor blocked by our company firewall :)

Upstairs i have a #12 in Kelly Green, brand new and unworn - that i bought all those years ago, to wear to my first game. Just hope it still fits :) 

We're only in Philly for 2 nights, and this is a last minute addition to our US vacation tour plan. It was only good luck that we could change the schedule to fit the game in once the schedule was announced and i had to bargain hard to get it sorted. As we're short on time with so much to see we'll probably stay in the city the whole time we're there. I do like the idea of tapping up Mr Spadaro though - i already get most of his content - but i'm not sure we'll be able to fit it in, or even that he would be available on such a busy weekend. Although i will make time for at least 1 cheesesteak :)

We're on the eagles sideline right side, by the pylon/endzone - i'm hoping DJax gets his first return eagles TD on a post route! So far as i can work out it's the SW corner so should be shaded most of the time, but of course we'll dress suitably for the weather - we'll be packing all sorts due to our vacation. (BTW, you guys have no idea how difficult it is to get tickets as an independent foreign visitor :( )

Thanks for all your helpful pointer!

Mal

def get to the stadium early. the home opener is always slower when it comes to getting inside beyond the security check.

21 hours ago, MalFr said:

As i remember it we took the snap inside our our 5 on 3rd-and-not-good, Randall dropped back into the end zone as the DT or DE came around about to be sacked for a safety. Randall ducked under his arm and threw it to Barnett on the right sideline who took it the length of the field, and that just sealed it.

That was definitely a great play, it was Hall of Fame DE Bruce Smith that Randall ducked under. Smith later went on to play for the Redskins and McNabb made him whiff also.

You can watch the Randall play and not be disappointed.

Wow, thanks for that.

Funny how much of that i still remember after all those years - half the field in bright sunlight, half shade, the high saturation picture, a less-than-poor series leading up to the play. And so many great eagles names there - Keiths Byars and Jackson, Calvin Williams just in that short clip.  Didn't realise that was Bruce Smith though, nor that Barnett was in double coverage.

You're right, not disappointed :)

I would enjoy watching that replay more if the Eagles had won the game. The fact that they lost the game anyway kinda ruins the fun for me a little.

9 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I would enjoy watching that replay more if the Eagles had won the game. The fact that they lost the game anyway kinda ruins the fun for me a little.

I feel pretty much the same way.  In all honesty, I never understood some Eagles' fans love for that play considering the Eagles lost that game.

For what it's worth, that Eagles/Bills game was played on my birthday.  I personally much prefer the Eagles game that was played one year to the day later.

Listen to Dan Dierdorf's pregame comments in the full game (second) video.

9 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

In all honesty, I never understood some Eagles' fans love for that play considering the Eagles lost that game.

You have to step outside of the overall picture a little and just focus on the individual moments. It's like the Immaculate Reception for Steelers fans. Yes, they won that game but ultimately, it didn't matter because they lost the following week and didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Or the Minneapolis Miracle from 2017. The ultimate high for Vikings fans... until a week later when they had their ultimate of ultimate's low (since a win would have had them at home for the Super Bowl) at the hands of Nick Foles and Doug Pederson.

I'm sure for Vikings fans, they couldn't enjoy that play for a while and maybe not even now, but in 5 or 10 years they'll be talking fondly of it even if it's a bitter sweet memory.

I can look back at the great plays and enjoy them, whether the game was a win or a loss. Well, in most cases. I can't enjoy any of our Super Bowl XV (I was almost 12) or XXXIX plays, great or good. I can't even bring myself to watch either of those games again, and XV was what, 38 years ago? I think that game was the first time I cried because of a football game... and come to think of it, I think Super Bowl LII (I was almost 49) was the only other time that I've cried because of a football game. Both cries were very different cries though lol.

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You have to step outside of the overall picture a little and just focus on the individual moments. It's like the Immaculate Reception for Steelers fans. Yes, they won that game but ultimately, it didn't matter because they lost the following week and didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Or the Minneapolis Miracle from 2017. The ultimate high for Vikings fans... until a week later when they had their ultimate of ultimate's low (since a win would have had them at home for the Super Bowl) at the hands of Nick Foles and Doug Pederson.

I'm sure for Vikings fans, they couldn't enjoy that play for a while and maybe not even now, but in 5 or 10 years they'll be talking fondly of it even if it's a bitter sweet memory.

In the examples you provided, the team that had the memorable play won the game.  Also, in the Steelers’ case, it was also their first ever playoff win, and began their era as a dominant team in the 1970s and as a good franchise over the last 45+ years.  They also played an undefeated Dolphins team the following week, a team they were not expected to win, even playing at home (the game was played in Pittsburgh due to the NFL’s screwy playoff system at the time).

With the Vikings’ play, it is very analogous in many ways with the Eagles’ 4th and 26 play against the Packers in the 2003 playoffs.

42 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

In the examples you provided, the team that had the memorable play won the game.

Yeah, I kind of mentioned that lol. But ultimately, as I mentioned, they didn't win the Super Bowl.

Like I said, you have to step back a little and just take joy in the plays, win or lose.

22 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, I kind of mentioned that lol. But ultimately, as I mentioned, they didn't win the Super Bowl.

Like I said, you have to step back a little and just take joy in the plays, win or lose.

Somehow, I hear a quote from the hero of the first Miracle of the Meadowlands in my head. 😉😊

23 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

Somehow, I hear a quote from the hero of the first Miracle of the Meadowlands in my head. 😉😊

We don't play the game. You have to be able to take joy in the big plays. Well, you don't HAVE to, but you should. We lost in the playoffs in 2010, does that diminish the Miracle at the New Meadowlands in your mind, since that season was a 'failure' of a season? It shouldn't. (Yes, I know we won the game, but we lost 'the season' by not winning the Super Bowl). I still take joy in all of the big plays from 1976 through 2018... and beyond (Somehow I hear a quote from Toy Story in my head...)

On 6/23/2019 at 7:30 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

We don't play the game. You have to be able to take joy in the big plays. Well, you don't HAVE to, but you should. We lost in the playoffs in 2010, does that diminish the Miracle at the New Meadowlands in your mind, since that season was a 'failure' of a season? It shouldn't. (Yes, I know we won the game, but we lost 'the season' by not winning the Super Bowl). I still take joy in all of the big plays from 1976 through 2018... and beyond (Somehow I hear a quote from Toy Story in my head...)

Dude - every game example you’ve provided in this thread to make your argument about memorable plays - the Immaculate Reception, the 2018 Minneapolis Miracle, both Miracles of the Meadowlands plays, heck the 4th and 26 play I mentioned - were won by the team that made the memorable play.  The Randall Cunningham play against the Bills was made by the team that lost the game.  That’s the difference.  There’s a reason why Cunningham’s play against the Giants on ABC MNF in 1988 (where he had his legs cut out from underneath him by I think Carl Banks but kept his balance and then threw a TD pass to I think Jimmie Giles) is remembered a lot more and shown on more highlight packages than Cunningham’s play against the Bills - the Eagles won the game against the Giants. 

Mention some examples of memorable, positive plays (i.e. not plays like the non-pass interference call in last season’s NFCCG) by teams that lost the game (especially in games not involving the Eagles), and then we’re comparing apples and apples with Cunningham’s 1990 play against the Bills.  It’s harder to identify such plays because at the end of the day, most sports fans care about the end result and plays where a team loses aren’t celebrated (unless MAYBE it was a memorable game and an important game in the standings or in the playoffs).  I’m not saying that’s right or wrong; it just is.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, CHIP72 said:

Dude

Dood, it's not really that important to have a long, drawn out discussion on big plays from decades ago and whether or not fans should enjoy those plays when the actual game was lost. I'm not saying that's right or wrong; it just isn't.

Have a great time on your trip and seeing the game!  I was just on your side of the pond, representing the Eagles this past week.  Glad you'll get to do the same on our side of it.

Xdt939.jpg

looks like you had a good day, i certainly hope to have a good one.

In what capacity did you represent the eagles? Not that Kelly Green isn't enough :)

And a shout out to the young French Lady wearing a #20 Dawkins Jersey at Bordeaux Airport last weekend :)

23 hours ago, MIRV Griffen said:

Have a great time on your trip and seeing the game!  I was just on your side of the pond, representing the Eagles this past week.  Glad you'll get to do the same on our side of it.

Xdt939.jpg

I've been to the Eiffel Tower... well, sort of.

Replique-USA-WV-Dominion.thumb.jpg.754c3734562a360594ef2eb5ca5a282e.jpg