Sign in to follow this  
Eagles9193

Over rated Head Coaches ?

McVay gets too much credit for not winning anything yet, but I still hold my resolve. He could change my mind. The Rams offense limped into the Super Bowl vs. Patriots, they were a shell of themselves without an effective Gurley running the ball. He deserves some credit for getting the team that far in the playoffs. The Rams teams before McVay had been terrible since The Greatest Show on Turf.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Eagles9193 said:

If someone held a gun to your head and said Switzer or Gruden ? Then what ?

I channel my inner 'Robert McCall' (The Equalizer), rip the gun from his (or her) hand, and keep Doug Pederson as the Eagles head coach.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:48 AM, Eagles9193 said:

There have been several bad to average QBs that have won Super Bowls. Mostly because they had a dominant team and/or insane defenses. 

Examples include: Dilfer, Rypkin, McMahon, B Johnson and many others including multiple SB winners: Bradshaw is biggest example.

have there been any head coaches who weren’t that good but still won Super Bowls because they had superior teams? 

Barry Switzer comes to mind, anyone else?

NOTE: This is only coaches who have won a SB, and you feel they are overrated. 

Bradshaw mediocre? How so?

Not Montana, ok, but pretty damn good in his day.

4 hours ago, madriver said:

Bradshaw mediocre? How so?

Not Montana, ok, but pretty damn good in his day.

51% completion percentage for his career and he threw only 2 more TDS then INTs 

dude literally had hall of famers at every position group on the whole team 

oline

wrs

rb

dline

linebackers

dbs

13 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

also didn't have any one in his ear barking plays, giving a heads up to what the defense is doing. It was truly on him. 

Now, is he top 10, hell no. but hes not rubbish either. 

Yes he is

the helmet voice cuts off with like 15 seconds left

coaches don’t tell QBs crap now a days 

almost any QB coulda won on those teams 

4 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

I totally disagree. He has an average... below average quarterback, 24-8 career record, top 3 offense back to back years and I'll bet you dimes to dollars the rams offense scores more points than the eagles. 

his 24-8 career record is mostly feasting off the NFC west the last 2 years.....10-2.  And is 4-4 in December the last 2 seasons and that's only because in 2017, they played the cards and niners in december, who were atrocious.  And he's 2-2 in the playoffs, with the gift of a non-interference call that caused radical rule changes or he's be 1-2 in the playoffs.

He and his team fold under pressure.   His offense wasn't as good as the eagles in 2017 and what do you think the rams would do if they lost one of their starting WRs, 3 RBs, and their QB in 2018?  You think they would have gone to the super bowl with shawn mannion at QB??

10 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

his 24-8 career record is mostly feasting off the NFC west the last 2 years.....10-2.  And is 4-4 in December the last 2 seasons and that's only because in 2017, they played the cards and niners in december, who were atrocious.  And he's 2-2 in the playoffs, with the gift of a non-interference call that caused radical rule changes or he's be 1-2 in the playoffs.

He and his team fold under pressure.   His offense wasn't as good as the eagles in 2017 and what do you think the rams would do if they lost one of their starting WRs, 3 RBs, and their QB in 2018?  You think they would have gone to the super bowl with shawn mannion at QB??

Gotta agree.

They lost Gurley and that team, especially Goff, looked like a lost deer on I-95 during rush hour.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

You're CRAZY theres a reason why the Rams rush to the line with 25-30 seconds and call a lot of plays from the line. Mcvey/goff have both talked about this as training wheels and how its helped him learn a ton

Where did it get them in the SB ?

if this was really that effective more teams would be doing it

Bradshaw was so stupid, he couldn’t read a defense anyway

the old saying was that Bradshaw couldn’t spell CAT even if u spotted him the C and the A

13 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm not saying the rams are the end all be and Mcvey is the 2nd coming of god, but to call him over rated is laughable. and we can name a ton of famous, amazing, best of poop the bed in the bowl. (peyton manning comes to mind quickly)

Comparing Bradshaw to P manning is like comparing a rotting corpse to a bikini model 

McVay is a good coach, but definitely over rated. The media acts like hes the second coming of Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. 

It boggles the mind that Jason Garrett continues to be employed in Dallas. There's a guy that used to post here about 10 years ago that summarized every HC that's won a SB and how long it took. The overwhelming majority of SB winning coaches either won it all in their first 5 years as a HC or didn't win it at all. The Bill Cowhers of the coaching world we're extremely few and far between. Jason Garrett doesn't strike me as someone that's leading any team to the promised land. 

3 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

They lost Gurley. 

They lost Cooper Cupp who was on pace for 100 catches and 1000 yards. 

He made that fata$$ CJ Anderson, who was cut by 4 teams look like a pro bowler. 

And as far as the QB, I think GOFF STINKS! so I think if poop hit the fan Blake Bortles would step in and that offense wouldn't skip a beat. 

Theres not a doubt in my mind the Rams will be a top 5 offense this year, for the 3rd year in a row. 

I believe theres a blind hate against the Mcvey. He shouldn't have won the coach of the year over Doug. He gets more coverage over the Eagles(they shouldn't) But to think he's rubbish is laughable. 

Nobody said he was rubbish.......he's overrated.....that's different.

And they were not a top 5 offense in 2017...........and the fact that you think bortles could make that offense run is ridiculous.

And yeah, the rams dealt with a few injuries......but they got a gift in the NFCCG and they scored an overwhelming 3 points against the pats.  McVay is simply overrated.

3 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'm not saying the rams are the end all be and Mcvey is the 2nd coming of god, but to call him over rated is laughable. and we can name a ton of famous, amazing, best of poop the bed in the bowl. (peyton manning comes to mind quickly)

"Overrated” is a relative term. The fact is, the media acts like this guy is a god, top 5 coach ever. When the fact is, he may not be top 5 currently in the league. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good coach, but absolutely I think he’s overrated based on the ball licking he gets from media. 

Frankly I think the only coach who could get the worship that McVay does and NOT be considered overrated is Belichick. 

How about Joe Gibbs? 2 of his 3 Super Bowls were in strike seasons, though he did win one with Mark Rypien, so maybe that makes up for the others.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

huh?

2016 Jeff fisher - 14.0pts per game last place

2017 Mcvey -  29.9 ppg, 1st place. 

2018 Mcvey - 32.9ppg 2nd place

Care to bet if there gonna be top 5 next year? And yes, I think Goff is that bad you wouldn't see a drop off to BB

Average points per game is a misleading stat.  They piled up the points against horrible teams in 2017....the colts, 49ers, cardinals, the giants......same thing last year......and come december and playoff time, they lost big games, needed a gift non-call and scored 3 pts in a super bowl they didn't belong in.

And you make no sense in arguing that their offense is so hi powered, yet you think Goff sucks :wacko:

Some of the context is missing in this thread. McVay took a bottomdwelling team to the Super Bowl in 2 years. He’s never had a season as bad as Pederson’s first, despite inheriting a much worse team. Doug deserves to be ranked higher still, but it’s to show how bizarre it is to say that Sean doesn’t deserve what he’s earned. Yes he couldn’t win the super bowl, which would have changed his outlook, but he only lost to the greatest dynasty in the history of organized football. Even with the talent they have now, they probably don’t get out of the West without McVay.

And Gruden is overrated? Who is overrating him? People keep saying he won with someone else’s team but conveniently leave out that the team he played in that super bowl is the team HE built! He’s the first coach in NFL history to get 2 different teams over the hump in the same year. And that really should have been his second super bowl appearance, because the last game he coached in Oakland was the tuck rule game. He’s the fish that should have buried the patriots dynasty before it began had it not been for the most bizarre call.

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

It actually backs up my point on how good Mcvey is. If you can win and throw up numbers with that garbage what, what can he do with a good quarterback. 

As far as misleading stats? I don't get it lol.  I'd rather have Points per game then yards per game.  Give me a 35.5 ppg and 300 yards per game then 18.9ppg and 712 yards per game. 

What I mean is that avg pts per game can be inflated by blowing out really bad teams.  A measurement like the aikman ratings, which measures 7 or 8 offensive stats to show how efficient or effective an offense is.....

Obviously, playing bad teams can inflate all kinds of numbers, but how an offense performs circumstantially I think is a better measure.

The rams struggle in december and in the playoffs......and that's an indication that McVay can be outcoached by DCs. 

On 6/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

You could flip a coin. Both largely benefitted from what the previous regime had mostly built, but if I had to choose between those two, I guess I’d side with Gruden. 

Not sure why Switzer was who you settled on for a 2nd choice. I don’t recall defending Switzer. 

Gruden by a mile over Switzer...I actually love Switzer...has an amazing story and could run a college program,  but many former Dalllas players said that was their most impressive title because they did it w/o the coaching staff’s help..

there was a story that one practice was so sloppy...a lot of the players were hung over..(.Switzer was too)and like 30 min into practice that Switzer was like "f it guys, let’s just call it a day” and dismissed the team..Irvin and Aikman flipped out, made the whole team go back out and they ran the practice ...

Over-rating is over-rated.     :rolleyes:

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, Stephen1 said:

Switzer

When I think of Switzer, I think of 4th & 1

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

When I think of Switzer, I think of 4th & 1

The eagles stop him again!!

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

The eagles stop him again!!

I remember watching the game and when the refs pulled that fake 2 minute warning deal, I was hot. When Switzer did what he did, I was happy! lol

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I remember watching the game and when the refs pulled that fake 2 minute warning deal, I was hot. When Switzer did what he did, I was happy! lol

One of my favorite Merrill Reese calls of all time 

26 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

One of my favorite Merrill Reese calls of all time 

Back then, I couldn't get Merrill, the only times I'd hear him was when various highlights would use his audio. Back then, all I knew was that I wished I could watch an entire game with him calling it.

Mike Shanahan all day

Track his entire career between success and failure and it all depends on weather or not GARY Kubiak was on his coaching staff 

Also, without some of the most historic performances in NFL history, by some of the greatest players to ever play, he is average at best

With Cutler he is average

With Elway, Shannon Sharpe, and Terrell Davis, during Terrell Davis remarkable seasons he wins Superbowls(with Kubiak on his staff) 

With the Redskins he needed the best rookie QB season in league history, to make the playoffs at all, then all mediocrity afterwards to the point that the organization paid him his $4Mil salary to go away. 

As a OC in San Fran he had the combination of Jerry Rice and Steve Young with a historic year to make his name (also Kubiak on his staff) 

In Oakland, mediocre players leads to mediocre results 

Do you really think you wouldn't know the names Elway, TD, Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, if they weren't "blessed" with Mike Shanahan? 

What about Howie Long, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen? 

Dude couldn't win with Bo and Marcus Allen TOGETHER!! 

LITERALLY EVERY KID  UNDER 10 IN THE USA WON THE TECHMOBOWL WITH THAT TEAM!!! 

Shannahan couldn't win outside of his own putrid division at the time. 

He doesn't raise player up to great achievements, he rides the coat tales of great players outstanding performances and Gary Kubiaks scheme. 

Kubiaks scheme won a Superbowl  in Denver without Shanny, made Shanny a name in San Fran, made the Ravens the #1 rushing attack, made Arian Foster a household name from complete obscurity, and created a 1000 yd back every year in Denver for over half a decade despite what the name on the jersey said. 

Also Brian Billick! 

If I have to hear this guy referred to as a "genius" again my eyes will roll out of my head

Wow, the offensive "genius" who couldn't generate an offense during his entire stint in Baltimore, and won almost all of his games on the back of his defense. The ONE outlier being Jamal Lewis blasted out of his brain on cocaine

This guy was able to generate offense with Randall, Chris Carter and Randy Moss...... No CRAP!!! Those guys were all losers without being blessed by the Genius of Brian Billick? 

2 hours ago, pdmkob said:

Dude couldn't win with Bo and Marcus Allen TOGETHER!! 

LITERALLY EVERY KID  UNDER 10 IN THE USA WON THE TECHMOBOWL WITH THAT TEAM!!

Shannahan is over rated because of Tecmo Super Bowl ? 

You're a mad man