Sign in to follow this  
Eagles9193

Over rated Head Coaches ?

On 6/26/2019 at 3:04 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

You could flip a coin. Both largely benefitted from what the previous regime had mostly built, but if I had to choose between those two, I guess I’d side with Gruden. 

Not sure why Switzer was who you settled on for a 2nd choice. I don’t recall defending Switzer. 

Gruden by a mile over Switzer...I actually love Switzer...has an amazing story and could run a college program,  but many former Dalllas players said that was their most impressive title because they did it w/o the coaching staff’s help..

there was a story that one practice was so sloppy...a lot of the players were hung over..(.Switzer was too)and like 30 min into practice that Switzer was like "f it guys, let’s just call it a day” and dismissed the team..Irvin and Aikman flipped out, made the whole team go back out and they ran the practice ...

Over-rating is over-rated.     :rolleyes:

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, Stephen1 said:

Switzer

When I think of Switzer, I think of 4th & 1

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The eagles stop him again!!

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

The eagles stop him again!!

I remember watching the game and when the refs pulled that fake 2 minute warning deal, I was hot. When Switzer did what he did, I was happy! lol

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I remember watching the game and when the refs pulled that fake 2 minute warning deal, I was hot. When Switzer did what he did, I was happy! lol

One of my favorite Merrill Reese calls of all time 

26 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

One of my favorite Merrill Reese calls of all time 

Back then, I couldn't get Merrill, the only times I'd hear him was when various highlights would use his audio. Back then, all I knew was that I wished I could watch an entire game with him calling it.

Mike Shanahan all day

Track his entire career between success and failure and it all depends on weather or not GARY Kubiak was on his coaching staff 

Also, without some of the most historic performances in NFL history, by some of the greatest players to ever play, he is average at best

With Cutler he is average

With Elway, Shannon Sharpe, and Terrell Davis, during Terrell Davis remarkable seasons he wins Superbowls(with Kubiak on his staff) 

With the Redskins he needed the best rookie QB season in league history, to make the playoffs at all, then all mediocrity afterwards to the point that the organization paid him his $4Mil salary to go away. 

As a OC in San Fran he had the combination of Jerry Rice and Steve Young with a historic year to make his name (also Kubiak on his staff) 

In Oakland, mediocre players leads to mediocre results 

Do you really think you wouldn't know the names Elway, TD, Shannon Sharpe, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, if they weren't "blessed" with Mike Shanahan? 

What about Howie Long, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen? 

Dude couldn't win with Bo and Marcus Allen TOGETHER!! 

LITERALLY EVERY KID  UNDER 10 IN THE USA WON THE TECHMOBOWL WITH THAT TEAM!!! 

Shannahan couldn't win outside of his own putrid division at the time. 

He doesn't raise player up to great achievements, he rides the coat tales of great players outstanding performances and Gary Kubiaks scheme. 

Kubiaks scheme won a Superbowl  in Denver without Shanny, made Shanny a name in San Fran, made the Ravens the #1 rushing attack, made Arian Foster a household name from complete obscurity, and created a 1000 yd back every year in Denver for over half a decade despite what the name on the jersey said. 

Also Brian Billick! 

If I have to hear this guy referred to as a "genius" again my eyes will roll out of my head

Wow, the offensive "genius" who couldn't generate an offense during his entire stint in Baltimore, and won almost all of his games on the back of his defense. The ONE outlier being Jamal Lewis blasted out of his brain on cocaine

This guy was able to generate offense with Randall, Chris Carter and Randy Moss...... No CRAP!!! Those guys were all losers without being blessed by the Genius of Brian Billick? 

2 hours ago, pdmkob said:

Dude couldn't win with Bo and Marcus Allen TOGETHER!! 

LITERALLY EVERY KID  UNDER 10 IN THE USA WON THE TECHMOBOWL WITH THAT TEAM!!

Shannahan is over rated because of Tecmo Super Bowl ? 

You're a mad man 

On 7/2/2019 at 12:24 PM, Eagles9193 said:

Shannahan is over rated because of Tecmo Super Bowl ? 

You're a mad man 

Ignore all of the other parts of his entire career, the fact that he was happily paid his entire salary to stay home despite the Redskins being in turmoil, the fact that he hasnt been hired by another team in the pros or in college for the past 5 years, everything listed in my comment, the way he mishandled RGIII after he produced the greatest statistical season a rookie QB has ever achieved, and purely focus in the joke part about the techmo bowl. 

After Elway and TD left the Broncos he won only one single playoff game for the rest of his career. 

The NFCW was notoriously weak during his entire tenure with the Broncos throughout the 2000's and he was aswildly mediocre as Jeff Fischer. 

If he isn't over rated, then what makes him special? 

Riding the coat tails of the greatest wide receiver and unanimous greatest player in NFL history in Jerry Rice?

Riding the coat tails of 2 of the greatest QBs IN NFL history in Young (who has his best stat season  and one of the best superbowl passing performances ever, with Kubiak as QB coach) and Elway(3 Superbowl appearances before Shany arrival) ? 

Riding the coat tails of 2 of the most dominant  season performances by a running back in NFL history in Terrell Davis? (guess who was calling the lines blocking scheme? Kubiak) 

Riding the coat tails of one of the most under rated coaches in history in Kubiak? (whose scheme has created 1000 yd running backs wherever he personally takes it and whoever runs in it, 5+ different RBs in Denver, one in Houston, one in Baltimore)won a Superbowl as head coach without Shany

Riding the coat tails of one of the most talented and greatest TE in NFL history in Sharpe (also won a Superbowl in Baltimore) ? 

All of these guys did just fine before and after life with Shannahan yet he can't do anything without them. 

McNabb did just fine before him

Hell even Jake Plummer won a single playoff game with Arizona, just as many as he won in Denver with Shanny

Jay Cutler had more playoff success without him than with him

His winning percentage with Denver and Washington are.616 and.395

Steve Mariuchi with San Fran and Detroit are . 594 and . 349

You only see the rings

On 7/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That was 5th and 1.

Mike Tomlin,

Mike Ditka and whomever was the head coach of the Peyton Manning quarterbacked team.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:04 PM, Runtherock said:

Look at Switzer’s coaching record, college and pro, its amazing. The guy gets way too much flak.

Who cares about college 

and he inherited everything in the pros 

Don Mcafferty - Colts coach in the Super Bowl winning year of 1970, when they beat Dallas in SB V. Basically took over a Colts team that was pretty much the same one that lost SB III.

George Seifert - Niners coach that won SB SB 24 vs Denver (with Bill Walsh's team) 29 vs San Diego, later was a disaster in Carolina. Good defensive Coordinator though. Might argue that I'm being a little harsh here.

Barry Switzer - Took Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys to one more SB win in SB 30, but that team won mainly on the talent left over from Johnson's drafts.

19 minutes ago, rocketman44 said:

Don Mcafferty -

Tough one. Yeah, the Colts should have won SB3, but they actually won with McCafferty as HC in SB5. He was the OC on the SB3 team. But they say Unitas did a lot of coaching from the field, he called all the plays in the huddle, they did not signal plays from the sideline back then. Later, McCafferty was famously fired for refusing to listen to the owner to bench Unitas. He went to the Lions, coached one mediocre season, then dropped dead of a heart attack. Hard to tell what McCafferty was as head coach. Was he an important part of the Colts dynasty with Shula and Unitas, et al.? Or did he ride their coattails?

Switzer is the obvious one.

Should Jimmy Johnson be under consideration here? I know that he won two Super Bowls, but had it not been for the Vikings being in existence, that very likely never happens.

If you take his career and subtract the 4 seasons in Dallas after the Walker trade, he's 37-43 (.463).

43 minutes ago, toolg said:

Tough one. Yeah, the Colts should have won SB3, but they actually won with McCafferty as HC in SB5. He was the OC on the SB3 team. But they say Unitas did a lot of coaching from the field, he called all the plays in the huddle, they did not signal plays from the sideline back then. Later, McCafferty was famously fired for refusing to listen to the owner to bench Unitas. He went to the Lions, coached one mediocre season, then dropped dead of a heart attack. Hard to tell what McCafferty was as head coach. Was he an important part of the Colts dynasty with Shula and Unitas, et al.? Or did he ride their coattails?

Switzer is the obvious one.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm being too tough on him. In reality, the thread calls for coaches that are "Overrated" and McCafferty isn't well known and probably not even overrated.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:50 PM, Eagles9193 said:

Who cares about college 

and he inherited everything in the pros 

During the NFLN A Football Life feature on Troy Aikman, I think Aikman might have been accurate when he said that Switzer didn't have the same drive as he did in college. He was an older man by the time he was hired in Dallas, and it was left up to the vets such as Aikman to reign the team in. He may be the number one example of an overrated (Pro) coach who won a Super Bowl.

43 minutes ago, rocketman44 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm being too tough on him. In reality, the thread calls for coaches that are "Overrated" and McCafferty isn't well known and probably not even overrated.

That’s the reason I don’t list Switzer. He’s not unknown per se, but I don’t ever hear people sing his praises either as a pro coach. 

Switzer resigned from OU in scandal, players were getting in trouble and the program was placed on NCAA probation. He was downright washed up before he surfaced again with the Cowboys.

5 hours ago, rocketman44 said:

Don Mcafferty - Colts coach in the Super Bowl winning year of 1970, when they beat Dallas in SB V. Basically took over a Colts team that was pretty much the same one that lost SB III.

George Seifert - Niners coach that won SB SB 24 vs Denver (with Bill Walsh's team) 29 vs San Diego, later was a disaster in Carolina. Good defensive Coordinator though. Might argue that I'm being a little harsh here.

Barry Switzer - Took Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys to one more SB win in SB 30, but that team won mainly on the talent left over from Johnson's drafts.

I don't think anyone ever looked at Seifert as a top notch coach.