Sign in to follow this  
Eagles9193

Over rated Head Coaches ?

Recommended Posts

There have been several bad to average QBs that have won Super Bowls. Mostly because they had a dominant team and/or insane defenses. 

Examples include: Dilfer, Rypkin, McMahon, B Johnson and many others including multiple SB winners: Bradshaw is biggest example.

have there been any head coaches who weren’t that good but still won Super Bowls because they had superior teams? 

Barry Switzer comes to mind, anyone else?

NOTE: This is only coaches who have won a SB, and you feel they are overrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCarthy - But I would say he was better earlier in his career, then faded.
Payton - I think he's way overrated.
Gruden - He won the Super Bowl by inheriting Dungy's Bucs team.
Billick - The Ravens had an insane defense. He was supposed to be an offensive "genius" but he could never really get the Ravens offense going. Hasn't coached since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but even though he didn't win a super bowl, I'm including him......Sean McVay....overrated.  I haven't seen the media blubber on about someone so much abut being a "genius" than Sean McVay.

This guy has feasted on a terrible AFC west for 2 years, and stumbles late in the year.....then they choke in the playoffs.  Not to mention that Pedersen and the eagles have beaten them twice in LA, with a back up QB, gone on to win a super bowl by beating the patriots.....a team that LA couldn't score more than 3 pts on with their high powered offense.

And Pedersen is never ranked higher than McVay.  Pure bullsh--

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Jon Gruden. 

 

39 minutes ago, toolg said:

McCarthy - I would say he was better earlier in his career, then faded.
Payton - I think he's way overrated.
Gruden - He won the Super Bowl by inheriting Dungy's Bucs team.
Billick - The Ravens had an insane defense. He was supposed to be an offensive "genius" but he could never really get the Ravens offense going. Hasn't coached since.

Kinda disagree with Gruden

he took a Bucs team and got them over the hump. It was painful to watch but the America’s game episode of that team made it obvious that Gruden was needed and Dungy wasn’t cutting it. 

They focus a lot of the Eagles in that episode on how we had their number for a while. Sapp is quoted as saying Gruden told the team after the game( reg season game in 2002) to not worry about philly because he has them figured out.  And he proved that he did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eagles9193 said:

 

Kinda disagree with Gruden

he took a Bucs team and got them over the hump. It was painful to watch but the America’s game episode of that team made it obvious that Gruden was needed and Dungy wasn’t cutting it. 

They focus a lot of the Eagles in that episode on how we had their number for a while. Sapp is quoted as saying Gruden told the team after the game( reg season game in 2002) to not worry about philly because he has them figured out.  And he proved that he did. 

He then proceeded to run them into the ground. He also had the added benefit of facing his old team who was too stupid to change anything they did. I can’t rate Gruden highly simply because he figured Reid out. Many coaches figure Reid out. 

 

In spite of the 02 NFCCG, which was the worst loss I’ve been through as a fan, I would still take Reid over Gruden with a gun to my head and them as my only choices. Reid took the Birds, who were the worst team in football, and made them perennial playoff contenders. He then took KC, who was the worst team in football, and has made them perennial playoff contenders. Tampa was a perennial playoff contender when Gruden got there. The next bad team he turns into a perennial playoff contender will be his first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He then proceeded to run them into the ground. He also had the added benefit of facing his old team who was too stupid to change anything they did. I can’t rate Gruden highly simply because he figured Reid out. Many coaches figure Reid out. 

 

In spite of the 02 NFCCG, which was the worst loss I’ve been through as a fan, I would still take Reid over Gruden with a gun to my head and them as my only choices. Reid took the Birds, who were the worst team in football, and made them perennial playoff contenders. He then took KC, who was the worst team in football, and has made them perennial playoff contenders. Tampa was a perennial playoff contender when Gruden got there. The next bad team he turns into a perennial playoff contender will be his first. 

If someone held a gun to your head and said Switzer or Gruden ? Then what ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eagles9193 said:

If someone held a gun to your head and said Switzer or Gruden ? Then what ?

You could flip a coin. Both largely benefitted from what the previous regime had mostly built, but if I had to choose between those two, I guess I’d side with Gruden. 

Not sure why Switzer was who you settled on for a 2nd choice. I don’t recall defending Switzer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Sorry, but even though he didn't win a super bowl, I'm including him......Sean McVay....overrated.  I haven't seen the media blubber on about someone so much abut being a "genius" than Sean McVay.

This guy has feasted on a terrible AFC west for 2 years, and stumbles late in the year.....then they choke in the playoffs.  Not to mention that Pedersen and the eagles have beaten them twice in LA, with a back up QB, gone on to win a super bowl by beating the patriots.....a team that LA couldn't score more than 3 pts on with their high powered offense.

And Pedersen is never ranked higher than McVay.  Pure bullsh--

 

Beat me to it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You could flip a coin. Both largely benefitted from what the previous regime had mostly built, but if I had to choose between those two, I guess I’d side with Gruden. 

Not sure why Switzer was who you settled on for a 2nd choice. I don’t recall defending Switzer. 

Yeah never heard of Switzer as being overrated. Everyone knew he won because of Jimmys team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Sorry, but even though he didn't win a super bowl, I'm including him......Sean McVay....overrated.  I haven't seen the media blubber on about someone so much abut being a "genius" than Sean McVay.

Funnily enough as soon as I read the thread my first thought was of McVay. I think he's actually a good coach but the hype he gets and the attention he gets is ridiculous. He's a good young HC but actually what he does isn't revolutionary or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Funnily enough as soon as I read the thread my first thought was of McVay. I think he's actually a good coach but the hype he gets and the attention he gets is ridiculous. He's a good young HC but actually what he does isn't revolutionary or anything. 

I was going to add McVay only because it seems the NFL loves him. Now he's the main reason NFL teams are trying to find that next young innovator of offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You could flip a coin. Both largely benefitted from what the previous regime had mostly built, but if I had to choose between those two, I guess I’d side with Gruden. 

Not sure why Switzer was who you settled on for a 2nd choice. I don’t recall defending Switzer. 

I hold Switzer in low regard, same with u and Gruden apparently 

So I was curious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m saying this for controversy more then anything BUT Vermiel ? 

Did wonders with Eagles, and may have won a SB if he had draft picks in his first few years 

BUT that 99 rams team was Martz brains on offense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eagles9193 said:

I hold Switzer in low regard, same with u and Gruden apparently 

So I was curious 

Gotcha. I don’t think highly of Switzer either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eagles9193 said:

I’m saying this for controversy more then anything BUT Vermiel ? 

Did wonders with Eagles, and may have won a SB if he had draft picks in his first few years 

BUT that 99 rams team was Martz brains on offense 

Martz was horrible, he looked good with a hall of fame LT, RB, 2 wide receivers and a QB. Martz didn't do squat after he lost his hall of fame cast. Martz didn't do squat after he took over and didn't do squat for any other team he coached after except get his QB killed with his 7 step drop offense. 

Vermeil took over the Chiefs and ended up with another prolific offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eagles9193 said:

There have been several bad to average QBs that have won Super Bowls. Mostly because they had a dominant team and/or insane defenses. 

Examples include: Dilfer, Rypkin, McMahon, B Johnson and many others including multiple SB winners: Bradshaw is biggest example.

have there been any head coaches who weren’t that good but still won Super Bowls because they had superior teams? 

Barry Switzer comes to mind, anyone else?

NOTE: This is only coaches who have won a SB, and you feel they are overrated. 

I don’t think Barry is overrated because nobody and I mean nobody gives him Any credit...and I can’t say he deserves any...so he wouldn’t be on the list.

 

 Brian Billick comes to mind ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B O B wins this easy. He is lucky to still have a job.

They lost out on the bye in 2018 because of a week 2 loss to the Titans (11-5 instead of 12-4)

  • They did not cover the gunner on a punt, so the punter audibled into a fake punt for a TD
  • B O B let his players hang out on the sidelines in street clothes
    • JD Clowney got a 15 yarder for yelling at Tenessee players on a Titans scoring drive.
  • They lost that game by 3 points 20-17
    • Half the Titans points came directly from the Texans coaches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Jon Gruden. 

Tony Dungy. It’s not close.

The fact that people name Gruden and we all understand Gruden to be superior to Dungy is all you need to know.

No list of overrated coaches/managers would be complete without Joe Torre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

I don’t think Barry is overrated because nobody and I mean nobody gives him Any credit...and I can’t say he deserves any...so he wouldn’t be on the list.

 

 Brian Billick comes to mind ....

That’s exactly why I wouldn’t consider Switzer. I don’t know if any contingent of people who hold him in high regard to begin with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Sean McVay....overrated.

First name that came to my mind - even before I clicked into the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Tony Dungy. It’s not close.

The fact that people name Gruden and we all understand Gruden to be superior to Dungy is all you need to know.

No list of overrated coaches/managers would be complete without Joe Torre.

I don’t think Dungy is all that great, but I can’t say Gruden is far superior either. Gruden won with the team Dungy largely built. Gruden is supposed to be a great offensive mind, but when is the last time he was instrumental in developing a QB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boss Hawg said:

I was going to add McVay only because it seems the NFL loves him. Now he's the main reason NFL teams are trying to find that next young innovator of offense.

Yeah and to be fair he's a good HC given he's gone to a SB already. But in that SB he was completely out coached! And the same love and clamour isn't shown for Doug who has won a SB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and to be fair he's a good HC given he's gone to a SB already. But in that SB he was completely out coached! And the same love and clamour isn't shown for Doug who has won a SB.

Honestly, the crazy thing about Doug isn't so much that he won a SB, it's the way he won it. It's hard to describe, but there's people that feel like they're satisfied and complete when they win one by the way they win them, and then there's people who do so in such odd ways it seems like they're not done if things go correctly.

Doug not only won one, but he did so by rejecting many things that make the fundamentals of this game. He threw conservatism to the wind and called plays the same way you see a cornered animal fight for life. Some of the stuff he called when dueling head to head against the greatest coach and QB of all time with our defense playing arguably their worst game of the year for 55 minutes was honestly a spectacle to see.

It absolutely blows my mind that people are more about McVay than Pederson. Both have reached the Super Bowl, and have shown their hands in the most defining moments of their coaching careers.

McVay called that Super Bowl like he was scared from the first time his offense stepped on the field. Pederson called that Super Bowl like the only fear he had, was the fear of going home a loser. That's probably the biggest difference, outside of, you know, Jared Goff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this