Bacarty2

Rank your top 5 coaches in the NFL Today

Pure spin off, I think theres some blind hate because of media coverage on some coaches... .so who you got...

1) The hoodie... Call him a cheater, call him what you will, probably the best ever

2) Big Red... shows the ability to win with who ever is under center. Always huge output offensively, will never win a superbowl

3) Frank Reich, Gonna get hate here. I think he was a lot of the brains in the 2017 eagles run. Maybe 51/49 with he and Doug, but I think he's the real deal and will win multiply superbowls in Indy

4) Dougie P. Should of won coach of the year a couple years back. Superbowl. 

5) Mcvey. I think goff stinks so to have back to back top 3 offenses with a glorified trent dilfer is impressive. 

Honorable mentions, Mike Tomlin, Matt Nagy, McDermott(could be a homer but he does well with no talent). 

Bottom 5... in no order..

Gruden, O'Brian, Gase, Shurmur, 

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Pure spin off, I think theres some blind hate because of media coverage on some coaches... .so who you got...

1) The hoodie... Call him a cheater, call him what you will, probably the best ever

2) Big Red... shows the ability to win with who ever is under center. Always huge output offensively, will never win a superbowl

3) Frank Reich, Gonna get hate here. I think he was a lot of the brains in the 2017 eagles run. Maybe 51/49 with he and Doug, but I think he's the real deal and will win multiply superbowls in Indy

4) Dougie P. Should of won coach of the year a couple years back. Superbowl. 

5) Mcvey. I think goff stinks so to have back to back top 3 offenses with a glorified trent dilfer is impressive. 

Honorable mentions, Mike Tomlin, Matt Nagy, McDermott(could be a homer but he does well with no talent). 

Bottom 5... in no order..

Gruden, O'Brian, Gase, Shurmur, 

I think you have Andy too high here.  Not sure Reich is ahead of Douggie P either.  Other than that I'm on board with this list.  Might swap Sean Payton in for McVay after that pathetic SB performance though.

23 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I think you have Andy too high here.  Not sure Reich is ahead of Douggie P either.  Other than that I'm on board with this list.  Might swap Sean Payton in for McVay after that pathetic SB performance though.

what andy does with everyone is just amazing. Trust me, he also may be one of the worst post season coaches in any sport in history but to be a top coach, top team, every year. 

Peyton should of lost to the eagles at home

Then lost to Mcvey, at home, when they had a 13 point lead. a 3 point lead with less then 2 minutes left, then had the ball first in overtime. 

I also liked Peyton till this year, he left a bad taste in my mouth and then karma bit them in the butt. 

18 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

what andy does with everyone is just amazing. Trust me, he also may be one of the worst post season coaches in any sport in history but to be a top coach, top team, every year. 

Peyton should of lost to the eagles at home

Then lost to Mcvey, at home, when they had a 13 point lead. a 3 point lead with less then 2 minutes left, then had the ball first in overtime. 

I also liked Peyton till this year, he left a bad taste in my mouth and then karma bit them in the butt. 

I should preface all this by saying that the current state of NFL coaching talent is horrendous.  But, if Andy is on the list for his perennial playoff appearances then Payton has to be too.  Also, if you think Payton snuck into the playoffs last year didn't McVay's utter implosion in the superbowl phase you? 

Side note: I like Matt Nagy a lot too but he needs a bigger body of work. 

1. Belichick

2. Carroll

3. Pederson

4. Reid

5. Harbaugh

Tomlin, Mcvay, Payton, Rivera are all overrated but good coaches.

Reich, Vrabel, Nagy all could jump those 4 soon.

No one knows about the new first time head coaches.

The rest are mediocre.

On 6/28/2019 at 11:02 AM, Bacarty2 said:

Andy Reid is the new Marty Schottenheimer.  Can build you a team, and take you to the playoffs, but won't get it done there.  

I've always believed to truly succeed in the playoffs, you need to shake things up a little and do something different.  Coaches like Schottenheimer, Reid, Dungy, they are all so conservative that they can't adjust to the playoffs.  Reid is capable, (pickle juice game) he just is so hard headed that he will not deviate from the plan that got him to the playoffs, and ultimately that ends up killing him. (and the team)

15 hours ago, Vee said:

Andy Reid is the new Marty Schottenheimer.  Can build you a team, and take you to the playoffs, but won't get it done there.  

I've always believed to truly succeed in the playoffs, you need to shake things up a little and do something different.  Coaches like Schottenheimer, Reid, Dungy, they are all so conservative that they can't adjust to the playoffs.  Reid is capable, (pickle juice game) he just is so hard headed that he will not deviate from the plan that got him to the playoffs, and ultimately that ends up killing him. (and the team)

The pickle juice game happened then thought he was slick trying to do that a few more times after that and got it thrown back in his face. 

I only recall the pickle juice happening one time. And even then, it wasn’t Reid’s idea. I remember Reid telling the story about the trainer bringing the idea up to him, and Reid asking if he could have the pickles. 

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I only recall the pickle juice happening one time. And even then, it wasn’t Reid’s idea. I remember Reid telling the story about the trainer bringing the idea up to him, and Reid asking if he could have the pickles. 

Well yeah drinking the pickle juice happened one time because of the heat. I was talking more about the insides kick to start the game

2 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well yeah drinking the pickle juice happened one time because of the heat. I was talking more about the insides kick to start the game

Oh gotcha, though that did work a couple more times for him. Unfortunately it failed in Dallas in 2003. 

On 7/2/2019 at 6:10 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In order...

1. Belichick

2. Carroll

3. Doug

4. Tomlin

5. Reid

Like your list but I would flip Doug and Reid simply because like the others, Reid  has a more substantial resume even without a SB win.

If DP gets us to another NFCCG or SB, without Foles, without Reich and with a stacked team to really call his own, then I'll move him up the list.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, The Norseman said:

I agree that McVey’s Super Bowl performance was pathetic, but Payton really gets a pass for coaching his team out of a win in the NFCCG.

46 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I agree that McVey’s Super Bowl performance was pathetic, but Payton really gets a pass for coaching his team out of a win in the NFCCG.

Payton's body of work can't be ignored though.  There are a lot of good, young coaches (like McVey) in the league, but they get too much attention on a list like this.  I don't think Payton is amazing, but the Saints are perennial contenders and they are always a threat to go deep in the playoffs.  That means a lot in this league, especially over the span of time that he's been coaching.  If Reid is on there for his year-over-year winning percentage then Payton has to be too....especially since he's won a super bowl.

I used to be really high on Tomlin, but last few years I think he has been fairly overrated the whole time. He is ok

This seems to be a good time for young, up-and-coming coaches. Of course McVey is the poster child for the movement, but:

- Frank Reich

- Matt Nagy

- Mike Vrabel

- Kyle Shanahan

- Sean McDermott

have all shown promise.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike Zimmer. 

My TOP 5 would be:

1. Please. No contest.

2. DOUG PEDERSON - He out-coached the best of all time in the biggest game of his life.

3. SEAN PAYTON - I can't stand his arrogance. However, as The Norseman said, he get results. I argue that Payton helps Brees more than Brees helps Payton. I move Payton down one spot for his performance, then excuse making, after last year's NFCCG.

4. PETE CARROLL - He's won at both levels for many years with the "always compete" approach.

5. ANDY REID - He would have a ring had his guy lined up on side.

1 hour ago, SBorBust said:

This seems to be a good time for young, up-and-coming coaches. Of course McVey is the poster child for the movement, but:

- Frank Reich

- Matt Nagy

- Mike Vrabel

- Kyle Shanahan

- Sean McDermott

have all shown promise.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mike Zimmer. 

My TOP 5 would be:

1. Please. No contest.

2. DOUG PEDERSON - He out-coached the best of all time in the biggest game of his life.

3. SEAN PAYTON - I can't stand his arrogance. However, as The Norseman said, he get results. I argue that Payton helps Brees more than Brees helps Payton. I move Payton down one spot for his performance, then excuse making, after last year's NFCCG.

4. PETE CARROLL - He's won at both levels for many years with the "always compete" approach.

5. ANDY REID - He would have a ring had his guy lined up on side.

I could go with that.  Truth is after Bellicheck there is like 5-8 guys that you can really put in any order depending on year to year results. One guy in that cetagory that I think has really flown under the radar last few years but still gets consistent results even with mediocre rosters is Harbaugh in Baltimore.  But Pedesrson/Payton/Carroll/MCVey/Tomlin/Harbaugh/Reid are all pretty equal on any given Sunday.

Of the new guys, i have to admit I'm a little nervous that Reich could be ultimately even better than Doug.

3 hours ago, boogyman said:

I used to be really high on Tomlin, but last few years I think he has been fairly overrated the whole time. He is ok

Agreed, he's been exposed and that his is imploding.  Not sure those two things are connected, but I'm also not sure that they're not.

My list would be

1) Belichick

2) Carroll

3) Reid

4) Harbaugh

5) Payton

I love Doug and he will be on this list soon, but he just does not have enough of a body of work yet. A couple more productive years and he should be on here, along with McVay.

Also is there a reason why everyone is spelling Sean McVay's name wrong?

11 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

My list would be

1) Belichick

2) Carroll

3) Reid

4) Harbaugh

5) Payton

I love Doug and he will be on this list soon, but he just does not have enough of a body of work yet. A couple more productive years and he should be on here, along with McVay.

Spelling names wrong is what we do well on these boards. 

2 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

My list would be

1) Belichick

2) Carroll

3) Reid

4) Harbaugh

5) Payton

I like this list, outside of maybe Payton but that has much to do with just him irritating me than anything. I think with the above coaches you've watched them consistently deliver results with their teams being competitive year in and year out. Basically, the body of work is there that you can safely say the coaches are the ones making the team and 

I think with guys like Pederson, McVay have argument to be on this list as well. But in that same breath, they have less seasons to judge them by. And in both their cases.. outside of their first season, both their teams have been stacked and been playoff and superbowl favs entering the season. In the case of Pederson, he overcome some adversity due to major injuries at the QB position and other spots and still performed, so I would definitely put him above McVay, not to mention the superbowl title. But I'd also like to see what he can do coaching wise when the talent on the team isn't stacked at nearly every position. Even more so for McVay. Pederson has shown he can handle adversity, I don't think you can say the same with McVay.

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Spelling names wrong is what we do well on these boards. 

I thought maybe it was some inside joke that I missed.

1 hour ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I like this list, outside of maybe Payton but that has much to do with just him irritating me than anything. I think with the above coaches you've watched them consistently deliver results with their teams being competitive year in and year out. Basically, the body of work is there that you can safely say the coaches are the ones making the team and 

I think with guys like Pederson, McVay have argument to be on this list as well. But in that same breath, they have less seasons to judge them by. And in both their cases.. outside of their first season, both their teams have been stacked and been playoff and superbowl favs entering the season. In the case of Pederson, he overcome some adversity due to major injuries at the QB position and other spots and still performed, so I would definitely put him above McVay, not to mention the superbowl title. But I'd also like to see what he can do coaching wise when the talent on the team isn't stacked at nearly every position. Even more so for McVay. Pederson has shown he can handle adversity, I don't think you can say the same with McVay.

I agree with that and I do believe that Pederson is a much better coach overall then McVay.

I think both have dealt with some adversity when it comes to personnel, I mean McVay made a fat CJ Anderson look really good, but when it matter most Doug delivered and McVay did not. Doug changed what he did in the Super Bowl, was completely fearless and surprised the Patriots. McVay seemed to play conservative and scared, and really did not change up what he did, which is a recipe for disaster against the greatest coach of all time who had two weeks to prepare.

18 hours ago, Pallidrone said:

I thought maybe it was some inside joke that I missed.

I can’t stand the dude so I’ve just never cared enough to check the spelling. 

1.  Belicheat

2.  Carroll

3.  Harbaugh

4.  Doug

5.  Payton

I think Tomlin may have lost his fastball, we’ll see. McVey almost made it but he was horribly outcoached last game, Reid’s out because of his well known game day issues and poor post season record, and I really didn’t want to include Payton because he’s a D and did a terrible job coaching his team after the bad call, but his record.