Sign in to follow this  
Sack that QB

People sleeping on the Packers and Rodgers or is his run over?

I feel because they've had a down couple years people kinda forgot about the greatness of Aaron Rodgers. I haven't heard anyone talking about the Packers this offseason. It's all Eagles, Saints, Rams, Cowboys, Bears.

I still can't count out Rodgers. He's the most physically gifted QB I've ever seen and I know this isn't close to the best group that's been around him, but we've seen him will teams to deep playoff runs before who were lacking in talent in key areas.

Do you think the Packers have a resurgent year or do you think the days of Rodgers carrying the team to deep playoff runs is over?

They are done.. that window closed about 3 years ago.  

Rodgers is a magician and he's a lot of fun to watch. But yeah they are done. That D is going to be soft AGAIN and I just don't see them having enough on offense. And in that division? There's no easy game either. 

He is great when healthy, no doubt, but he’s not the model of great health anymore. He also has a questionable team around him. Add in a first year head coach who is an unknown at this point. 

It all goes to show that even as important as a QB is, they all need a team around them to succeed. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He is great when healthy, no doubt, but he’s not the model of great health anymore. He also has a questionable team around him. Add in a first year head coach who is an unknown at this point. 

It all goes to show that even as important as a QB is, they all need a team around them to succeed. 

For as much talk as Carson Wentz gets about him needing to stay healthy, it's almost as though you don't hear that about Rodgers.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

For as much talk as Carson Wentz gets about him needing to stay healthy, it's almost as though you don't hear that about Rodgers.

Completely fair point that! Rodgers has been banged up and missed games in every year for as long as I can remember off the top of my head! But because he's been such a magician it seems to get overlooked. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Completely fair point that! Rodgers has been banged up and missed games in every year for as long as I can remember off the top of my head! But because he's been such a magician it seems to get overlooked. 

He has played in 39 of a possible 48 regular season games the past 3 seasons. But there always seems to be an injury issue with him.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

He has played in 39 of a possible 48 regular season games the past 3 seasons. But there always seems to be an injury issue with him.

Yeah and Carson has played in... 

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

All true, but Rodgers has also been the winning QB in a Super Bowl whereas Wentz was sidelined and in many eyes is going to be in Foles’ shadow until he’s the winning QB for his own Super Bowl.

Fair or unfair. 

It's not about Rodgers and never was, it's about a roster that is one of the worst in the NFL outside of having Rodgers and has been for several years.  We are talking about a team that would go 3-13 with a replacement level Qb.  I think they did make some strides this offseason but I still can't say i'm sold on them in a very tough and deep NFC.

The Packers defense isn't good enough, especially now that they let Daniels go.  I think the Vikings win the division and the Bears will probably get a WC.  The Packers will be around 7-9 or so.  Rodgers isn't going to be able to compensate for their deficiencies.

7 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

40 of 48

Wow! So he's played in more than Rodgers yet gets the tag of being injury prone. Yet actually I'm sure if we looked at it Rodgers has suffered a lot more injuries they've just been smaller whereas Carson has suffered a couple of big ones. 

The Packers run as others have stated has been over the past couple seasons. Part of it is Rodgers inability to stay healthy, similar to what we have seen with Wentz (but with no capable back-up QB.)

The other bigger part is just surrounding Rodgers with capable talent. They just don't have it, and even worse, they make little effort to get more. You sort of wonder where that franchise would be if after Favre left they didn't have Aaron Rodgers fall to them in the draft. For a team that has a great QB like Rodgers they have done little to surround him with talent and go out and get guys.

While not everyone you add in free agency is going to work out for your club and sometimes being frugal can have it's benefits (look at Washington), GB has been the opposite of that doing little to nothing.

13 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I remember bringing this up at my old job and I was looked at as crazy for saying Rodgers tends to be injury prone.

The Packers are the big unknown this year, new coach, new system, mostly new defense... they can either be really good or just very mediocre, no way i count out Rodgers yet...  as far as people say he's an injury liability,  i'd be more worried about Wentz's frail body that i would about Rodgers

Rodgers had 25td/2int, his most passing yards since 2011 and the second most pass attempts in his entire career. It has more to do with the team around him, the defense, coaching, run game, WR etc. Rodgers has battled injuries but hasn't had a lot of help on the team and no run game has been a big issue. Other than his 2017 season when he was injured, missed 9 games, Rodgers has been among the best in the game. 

Last year Cobb missed half the season. Geronimo Allison, who many felt would be a sleeper at WR last year, missed 11 games so his second best WR 4th string rookie Valdez-Scantling who was forced into a starting role when those two were hurt. Davante Adams FINALLY in year 5  broke out and topped 1000 yards for the first time. He always has been a double digit td guy but didn't back it up with the yards. Jimmy Graham is a streaky TE at this point. 597 passes only 2int and those injuries at WR is pretty damn impressive 

21 hours ago, Northern Green Wings said:

The Packers run as others have stated has been over the past couple seasons. Part of it is Rodgers inability to stay healthy, similar to what we have seen with Wentz (but with no capable back-up QB.)

The other bigger part is just surrounding Rodgers with capable talent. They just don't have it, and even worse, they make little effort to get more. You sort of wonder where that franchise would be if after Favre left they didn't have Aaron Rodgers fall to them in the draft. For a team that has a great QB like Rodgers they have done little to surround him with talent and go out and get guys.

While not everyone you add in free agency is going to work out for your club and sometimes being frugal can have it's benefits (look at Washington), GB has been the opposite of that doing little to nothing.

Right now the Packers could go either way. Rodgers has carried this team before but that was also before Minnesota and Chicago returned to playoff contenders. His situation is like Drew Brees a few years ago. The Saints prior to 2017 were an average team, Brees had to carry them too much, defense was awful. It looked like the Saints and Brees window was shut. Three straight 7-9 seasons, 21 total wins but the past two season they have 24 total wins, returned to being a playoff team and potential SB contender. GB in 2016 were in the NFC title game but missed the playoffs the past 2 years, the first time in the Rodgers era they have done that. 2017 was due to Rodgers' injuries (they did remain competitive) and last year was due to coaching, injuries etc. 

On 7/25/2019 at 7:34 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and Carson has played in... 

Last two seasons...

Wentz (24 games, 16-8 team record)
101.2 QB rating
65.2 comp %
841 pass attempts
6370 yards
54td/14int

Rodgers (23 games, 10-12-1 team record): 
97.3 QB rating
62.6 comp %
835 pass attempts
6117 yards
41td/8int

On 7/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wow! So he's played in more than Rodgers yet gets the tag of being injury prone. Yet actually I'm sure if we looked at it Rodgers has suffered a lot more injuries they've just been smaller whereas Carson has suffered a couple of big ones. 

Rodgers has played two full seasons the past three years, Wentz has played one full season though. Rodgers has only battled injuries twice that caused him to miss a bunch of games and neither knocked him out for the season, he returned from both in 2013 and 2017. In 2017 he returned from his injury but the Packers lost that game, their shot at the playoffs was over so they put him on IR for the remainder of the season to heal up. He would've played had they still had a chance. He also missed 1 game in 2010. I am sure he has played through injuries too but overall he has never been injury prone at all.  Also remember that Wentz played through his fractured back for 2 months last season. Had the team been winning, he might have not sat as he couldn't do anymore damage. He never went on IR either. Wentz also had injuries in college too, hand injury but returned that year to win National Championship

Big Ben should be considered more injury prone than Rodgers. He has played just 4 full seasons. Only once played back to back 16 game seasons. Didn't play a full season until his fifth season. Seems more like every year we hear about Big Ben battling injuries. He too has played through a lot of them. 

Rodgers
2008: 16 games
2009: 16 games
2010: 15 games (missed week 15 game due to concussion)
2011: 15 games (sat for final game due to home field clinched)
2012: 16 games
2013:  9 games (fractured clavicle in week 9, returned week 17 and for playoffs)
2014: 16 games
2015: 16 games
2016: 16 games
2017:  7 games (fractured collarbone in week 6, returned week 15, placed on IR following week w/ GB season over)
2018: 16 games

Roethlisberger
2004: 13 games
2005: 12 games
2006: 15 games
2007: 15 games
2008: 16 games
2009: 15 games
2010: 12 games
2011: 15 games
2012: 13 games
2013: 16 games
2014: 16 games
2015: 11 games
2016: 14 games
2017: 15 games
2018: 16 games

1 hour ago, Jason1978 said:

Right now the Packers could go either way. Rodgers has carried this team before but that was also before Minnesota and Chicago returned to playoff contenders. His situation is like Drew Brees a few years ago. The Saints prior to 2017 were an average team, Brees had to carry them too much, defense was awful. It looked like the Saints and Brees window was shut. Three straight 7-9 seasons, 21 total wins but the past two season they have 24 total wins, returned to being a playoff team and potential SB contender. GB in 2016 were in the NFC title game but missed the playoffs the past 2 years, the first time in the Rodgers era they have done that. 2017 was due to Rodgers' injuries (they did remain competitive) and last year was due to coaching, injuries etc. 

The NFC was pretty weak during Rodgers heydey, especially that division.  Plus they had some talent around him, not that much, but certainly not the straight up awful supporting cast they have had last few years.

I think Rodgers may have developed some bad habits from having to do it all, both on and off the field.  Will be interesting to see if the new regime can get Rodgers back on course.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Rodgers has suffered a lot more injuries they've just been smaller whereas Carson has suffered a couple of big ones. 

Rodgers has as well . . . he's broken his RH  (throwing arm) clavicle at least twice.

Oddly, he's also suffered a number of other injuries almost always on his right side somewhere.

This may be indicative of his propensity to stay in the pocket, I guess?  

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/aaron-rodgers/2636

10 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Hmm he's no more of a pocket passer than others though? In fact he has the ability to slide and escape that others don't have. 

14 hours ago, McNabbIsGone said:

Rodgers has as well . . . he's broken his RH  (throwing arm) clavicle at least twice.

Oddly, he's also suffered a number of other injuries almost always on his right side somewhere.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/aaron-rodgers/2636

His injury 2 seasons ago was well outside the pocket when Anthony Barr nailed him near the sidelines.

If Rodgers is healthy he can win any game, at any time. You have to give GB a chance if he is playing. The problem is he has to carry the team too often because they suck at team building.