Don Corleone

Sources: Saints, WR Thomas reach $100M deal

Michael Thomas has reached agreement with the New Orleans Saints on a five-year, $100 million extension that includes $61 million guaranteed and makes him the NFL's highest-paid wide receiver, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday.

Thomas is now tied to the Saints for the next six years, through the 2024 season.

Thomas is set to make $1.148 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract. He did not report for the start of Saints training camp as he sought a new deal.

The Saints have never paid a skill-position player more than $10 million per year, which was the size of tight end Jimmy Graham's extension before he was traded away in 2015. But Thomas, who was drafted in the second round out of Ohio State in 2016, has played a bigger role in New Orleans' offense than any skill-position player to come before him in the Payton-Drew Brees era.

Last season, Thomas set franchise records with 125 catches and 1,405 yards while catching nine touchdown passes. His catch rate of 84.5% in 2018 was the highest of any NFL receiver since at least 2001, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Thomas' 321 career catches are the most in NFL history by a receiver in his first three seasons.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27293746/saints-wr-thomas-reach-100m-deal

Hey Amari, you gonna let Thomas show you up like that???

Go get twice as much!!

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Go get twice as much!!

i hope....causing implosion. 

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Go get twice as much!!

Pokes keep letting everybody else set the market.

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I would imagine that Julio Jones is smiling right now, too.

Predictions

Julio 4 years 88 million

Cooper 5 years 102 million

Hill 2 years 31 million

Seems like the longer the Cowboys wait, the more they get screwed by other deals getting done.

Is there a RB out there who can get a huge deal in the next few days? Please??

35 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No, but it doesn't matter, Ewok wants a deal similar to, or higher than Gurley. According to Jane Slater, the Cowboys are taking the stance that Gurley didn't even deserve the contract he got. 

The Cowboys leadership is stubborn. Good. It serves the rest of us well as they hold out and the market keeps climbing.

22 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

The Cowboys leadership is stubborn. Good. It serves the rest of us well as they hold out and the market keeps climbing.

Exactly. Should have paid Dak and should have paid Zeke as soon as possible. They screwed themselves.

17 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Exactly. Should have paid Dak and should have paid Zeke as soon as possible. They screwed themselves.

The fact they haven't paid Dak yet and now have this Zeke issue suggests to me they won't pay Dak until next year? When it could cost them even more. 

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Damn Lindsay...

savage-department-randy-speaking-2384697

Edit: For some reason I read that as her responding to Banner rather than the other way around. Either way, it works. 

I really can't wait to see how this unfolds.  They have a RB that wants to be highest paid in the league,  a QB thats going to want top 5 qb money and a WR that also wants top 5 position money.   Anyone able to crunch the numbers and figure out how much of the cap those 3 would consume if Dallas pays all 3?

As well as Cooper and the Cowboys played after that trade, it may end up having caused more harm than good.

1 hour ago, boogyman said:

As well as Cooper and the Cowboys played after that trade, it may end up having caused more harm than good.

He feasted on the Skins and Eagles. That's it. He's good but Zeke was the beast who was responsible for their success. He'll get paid based on his potential so it'll be incredibly to see how he does with a full season but I don't think he'll get Thomas type money 

You know that Jerry and Stephen Jones are trying to sell the whole thing about the star logo being worth millions and players should realize that and take a hometown discount.  Today's agents aren't that stupid to fall for that.😃

Cooper will get less money than Thomas, but would of been probably much less if they got a deal done sooner. I don't think Cooper is worth it for them.. but at the same time Prescott started to look like a better QB when he came in, so who knows.

The reality is that offense goes as Zeke goes. He's a top 5, top 3 RB in the league, right up there with Gurley and Bell. Cooper and Dak are not top 5, and probably aren't even top 10 players at their position either. 

Unfortunately, it's been proven you don't need elite RB talent to win, and they tend to wear down throughout their careers. Also it doesn't help that Elliot has off field troubles. Cowboys are in a tough place, but I think the worst move they could of done is what they are doing now, which is nothing so I'm all for that.

I know a few on these boards were totally against signing Wentz early and wanted him to play out this season first. I think at the end of the next off-season Wentz's deal is going to look like we have him for a bargain.

18 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Chargers are playing hard ball with Gordon, and I do not see anyone else due for a deal.  I hope the Cowboys give Dak and Cooper their extensions and Zeke holds out into the regular season.  Imagine if they start 0-2 and Zeke is the one that didn't get a new deal, it would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Chargers are playing hard ball with Gordon, and I do not see anyone else due for a deal.  I hope the Cowboys give Dak and Cooper their extensions and Zeke holds out into the regular season.  Imagine if they start 0-2 and Zeke is the one that didn't get a new deal, it would be awesome.

If they think that Dak is their franchise QB, they need to get his deal done. But without Elliott, Prescott exactly hasn't set the league on fire. So they're kind of between a rock and a hard place.