Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am flying my family out to an Eagles game this year, six of us.  Coming in from Nevada.  Planning on renting a vacation home for 4 nights.  Wanted to know if the neighborhoods around Lincoln Financial are safe and family oriented?  Any help with areas I should stay away from?  I would greatly appreciate any insight and help with my questions.

Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was the first to respond.

In all seriousness, you should ask this question in the "Whats Up" section of the boards. Theyre likely to be more helpful than I am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I wouldn't stay by the stadiums.  It's not that they're unsafe there's just not a lot to do around there.  As long as you can get to the Broad street train line you can get to the stadium easily and cheap. I'd recommend Old City, Rittenhouse or Passyunk Square. 

Old City is where the liberty Bell/independence hall are.  Good restaurants and access to the waterfront. Touristy and busy though. Queens Village and Headhouse square are options if you want to be near there but want a more mellow/cheaper option. 

Rittenhouse is a really nice neighborhood with a great park, stores, restaurants and access to the Schuylkill and art museum area. Expensive and busy though. 

Passyunk is a more up and coming area. Hipster foodie vibe while still maintaining an authentic South Philly feel. Closest to the stadium but not what I'd call walkable (I have but still).  A bit isolated though so if you want to explore the rest of the city it may not be the most central spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crazyeagle said:

Hello Everyone,

I am flying my family out to an Eagles game this year, six of us.  Coming in from Nevada.  Planning on renting a vacation home for 4 nights.  Wanted to know if the neighborhoods around Lincoln Financial are safe and family oriented?  Any help with areas I should stay away from?  I would greatly appreciate any insight and help with my questions.

Thank you in advance!

Stay down the shore, ocean city, sea isle, atlantic city for the adults and drive the hour to the stadium for the game. 

Unless you stay at  a hotel, in center city and do the tourist stuff your not gonna find a "vacation home" near the stadium lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DEagle7 said:

 I wouldn't stay by the stadiums.  It's not that they're unsafe there's just not a lot to do around there.  As long as you can get to the Broad street train line you can get to the stadium easily and cheap. I'd recommend Old City, Rittenhouse or Passyunk Square. 

Old City is where the liberty Bell/independence hall are.  Good restaurants and access to the waterfront. Touristy and busy though. Queens Village and Headhouse square are options if you want to be near there but want a more mellow/cheaper option. 

Rittenhouse is a really nice neighborhood with a great park, stores, restaurants and access to the Schuylkill and art museum area. Expensive and busy though. 

Passyunk is a more up and coming area. Hipster foodie vibe while still maintaining an authentic South Philly feel. Closest to the stadium but not what I'd call walkable (I have but still).  A bit isolated though so if you want to explore the rest of the city it may not be the most central spot. 

^^^ This guy sounds legit. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Stay down the shore, ocean city, sea isle, atlantic city for the adults and drive the hour to the stadium for the game. 

Unless you stay at  a hotel, in center city and do the tourist stuff your not gonna find a "vacation home" near the stadium lol

^^^ This guy is a Steelers fan. Dont listen to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Lol vacation home in Philly that's family friendly?? Good luck with that

Lol this is so ignorant. I've lived here for 12 years. The vast majority of the city is perfectly safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Lol this is so ignorant. I've lived here for 12 years. The vast majority of the city is perfectly safe.

Yes but for a family of 6 in a vacation home? That was more of what I was talking about. With kids and never being in the city and not knowing where anything is he can find trouble. The eagles games themselves are not exactly family friendly lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Stay down the shore, ocean city, sea isle, atlantic city for the adults and drive the hour to the stadium for the game. 

Unless you stay at  a hotel, in center city and do the tourist stuff your not gonna find a "vacation home" near the stadium lol

This is almost word for word what i told him to do in the WU post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Yes but for a family of 6 in a vacation home? That was more of what I was talking about. With kids and never being in the city and not knowing where anything is he can find trouble. 

Eh you can probably Airbnb a townhome easy enough in a nice neighborhood. And as long as you're South of Vine and East of the Schuylkill there's not a lot of trouble you can get into unless you really make sure bad choices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct, growing up in Center City, there are not 6 person homes!!  They are apartments and hotels.....I mean if he can find an apartment in Center City on Air B and B that can hold 6 people...it is probably going to be VERY expensive.  But Rittenhouse and Old City are the best/nicest areas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I say family, Im talking about all adults.  My parents, my kids all 28 and older, plus myself.  I do appreciate all the input.  Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Correct, growing up in Center City, there are not 6 person homes!!  They are apartments and hotels.....I mean if he can find an apartment in Center City on Air B and B that can hold 6 people...it is probably going to be VERY expensive.  But Rittenhouse and Old City are the best/nicest areas.  

Center City probably not, but you don't think you could get a 3 bedroom Airbnb with a pullout couch in an adjacent place like Headhouse, Queens Village, Hawthorne, Graduate hospital? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Captain F said:

This is almost word for word what i told him to do in the WU post

Yup, BUT, what game is he going to?  If it is in Sep or Oct, sure, beyond that I'd say stay in the city, more to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barho said:

Yup, BUT, what game is he going to?  If it is in Sep or Oct, sure, beyond that I'd say stay in the city, more to do.

The shore holds festivals all year round + there all legal to gamble and drink. 

I get a room in AC if I were them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEagle7 said:

Eh you can probably Airbnb a townhome easy enough in a nice neighborhood. And as long as you're South of Vine and East of the Schuylkill there's not a lot of trouble you can get into unless you really make sure bad choices.  

Did someone call my name? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To anybody going to Philly as a tourist and staying for the game, I recommend staying in/near Center City. There's so much more to do that's within short/walking distance: restaurants, bars, attractions, etc. Even if you get a place in South Philly, it's not likely you'll be walking to the stadium. The stadiums and parking are essentially in their own "neighborhood" south of the city. Even from South Philly neighborhoods you're likely to find a taxi/uber to the stadium, or take SEPTA (the subway).

1 hour ago, crazyeagle said:

When I say family, Im talking about all adults.  My parents, my kids all 28 and older, plus myself.  I do appreciate all the input.  Thank you!

Good to know. Again, there's lots more to do in Center City. I'd hang there for the trip, then take Broad St. line (SEPTA/subway) down and back to the stadium on gameday.

There's a forum here you should check out: Lincoln Financial Field: Getting In & Hanging Out

5 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I get a room in AC if I were them. 

I wouldn't. It's like a 90 minute drive each way to/from the Linc, plus add more time sitting in traffic at the stadium. 4 nights in AC in the offseason can get boring fast, unless you're really into gambling. (They're coming from Nevada, so I'm going to assume they don't want to travel across the country to see more casinos.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazyeagle said:

When I say family, Im talking about all adults.  My parents, my kids all 28 and older, plus myself.  I do appreciate all the input.  Thank you!

Depending on the time of year you're coming there are a fair number of cool beer gardens in the city.  Even in the winter there's a big one on the waterfront near old City. Also a good launching spot for a quick cab/Uber to northern liberties and fishtown (wouldn't stay in those spots but they have a ton to do for the 20-30 crowd).  Walkable to the Italian market and all the touristy stuff.  Based on what you're saying that's where I'd recommend. The neighborhoods just south of old City would probably be your best bet for a house rental. I'm around Christian street and it's about a 15 minute (very safe) walk to old City and 15 minute walk to the Broad street line of you're looking for a scale. Super walkable city. 

Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where to Stay in Philadelphia

Quote

https://www.tripsavvy.com/where-to-stay-in-philadelphia-2668990

Philadelphia Skyline View From South Street Bridge 
(Michael Lee / Getty Images)

When trying to decide which neighborhood you want to stay in during your trip to Philadelphia, what you plan to do on your vacation will help determine which is best for you. While each neighborhood has its own amenities, some areas are much more convenient for exploring various parts of the city.

 

Leisure travelers will enjoy exploring the historical landmarks of Old City or the hip shops and restaurants of Fishtown and Northern Liberties while business travelers will likely appreciate the easy commute time from Center City or University City.

 

Whichever neighborhood to choose, there's sure to be plenty of great accommodations available, including Airbnb listings. The official visitor site for Greater Philadelphia is an excellent resource for finding descriptions, reservations, and discounts, including the Philly Overnight Hotel Package, which includes hotel accommodations for two nights, free parking and other perks. If you're looking for a more quieter place to say, you can check the Bed & Breakfast Connection of Philadelphia for unique accommodations that are currently available instead.

 
 

Leisure Travelers

Whether you're a fan of modern art or prefer to dig through vintage clothing for unique items, Philadelphia is home to a diverse group of neighborhoods. Depending on what type of leisurely activity you enjoy, you'll enjoy each of these neighborhoods more or less:

 
  • Old City is the most convenient place to stay if you’re visiting Philadelphia to visit historic attractions around Independence National Historical Park. This is where you’ll find the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall as well as the first hospital in the United States. The area is also a mecca of shopping, dining, entertainment, and nightlife, so you won’t need a car in Old City if you decided to stay here. However, with the exception of hostels and a few mid-range chains, this is an expensive area, and rooms tend to fill quickly, especially during spring and summer breaks.
 
  • Society Hill is just south of Old City and features a number of historic homes, shops, and streets. It offers close proximity to the main historic attractions in a somewhat quieter, more residential setting. There are several bed-and-breakfasts nearby that provide a bit more character than Old City's establishments at a fraction of the cost.
  • Center City is convenient no matter where in Philadelphia you plan to explore or want to see. It's compact and easily accessible by walking, public transportation, and tour buses. In addition, staying in the middle of Center City will put you closer to the museums of the Parkway and the rest of downtown Philadelphia, including one of the city's biggest tourist attractions, Rittenhouse Square.
 
  • Washington Square West is convenient, centrally located, and popular for LGBT visitors due to its proximity to the "Gayborhood." Rooms in the area fill up far in advance of the annual Equality Forum in May and many other gay events including Philadelphia Pride. Because Washington Square West is right next to Center City, you can expect to find the same prices on bed-and-breakfasts and a few cheap hotels.
  • The Parkway is beautiful during the daytime when all the museums are open and people are wandering down the sidewalk between them. However, the area can be a bit desolate at night and the only accommodations are chain hotels and local Airbnbs. However, it's relatively close to Center City, so it isn't a bad option if you find a better deal at one of the Parkway hotels rather than the ones in Center City.
 
 

Business Travelers

If you're visiting Philadelphia for a business trip, chances are you'll be put up at a hotel in Center City or University City, if not near the airport a few miles south of Philadelphia. However, there are some advantages to staying in each part of the city.

 
  • Center City is home to the majority of the skyscrapers that make up Philadelphia's skyline, so if you need to go into your office on a business trip, you'll likely find it here. As an added bonus, once the workday is over, you'll be in a good spot for exploring and enjoying the city after hours. There's plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants you can discover nearby—many of which offer lunch deals for your business lunch as well.
  • University City is just across the Schuylkill River and a little less expensive than Center City in terms of hotels and apartment rentals. Home to the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University, it's a good place for students visiting with their families or parents. It's also home to many affordable bars, restaurants, and attractions worth exploring after you're done with the workday.
 
  • Airport hotels are another great option if you're looking to save on your accommodation and don't need to go into the middle of Philadelphia during your trip. Although the airport is located a few miles south of the city, it's also close to the stadium and events center, which makes it a great place to stay if you're in town for a sporting event or concert. The Philadelphia Airport Marriott also has a direct connection to the terminal, so you can easily catch your early-morning flight.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now