31 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

The issue with staying in Philadelphia (at least the better parts of Philadelphia) isn’t safety, it is finding something family-friendly for people with kids.

Please Touch Museum, the Zoo, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell,.... Just outside the city there's Valley Forge, King of Prussia, Sesame Place, Legoland Discovery...

OP says his family is all age 28+, so it's not really an issue here.

King of Prussia has the mega mall that everybody likes. That's a ways away.

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Philly Seaport. Spruce Street Harbor Park is all lit up at night. The USS New Jersey is just across the river from there. It's a short drive to Old City. Did the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall for the umpteenth time, and the Marvel Universe of Super Heroes at the Franklin Institute. 

From Independence Hall, you can walk to Ben Franklin's Printshop (Ben Franklin museum), the Betsy Ross House, and Effreth's Alley. 

Behind the Philly Art Museum (Rocky steps & statue), you have Boathouse Row on Kelly Drive. There's a greenbelt along the river there. 

10 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

King of Prussia has the mega mall that everybody likes. That's a ways away.

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Philly Seaport. Spruce Street Harbor Park is all lit up at night. The USS New Jersey is just across the river from there. It's a short drive to Old City. Did the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall for the umpteenth time, and the Marvel Universe of Super Heroes at the Franklin Institute. 

From Independence Hall, you can walk to Ben Franklin's Printshop (Ben Franklin museum), the Betsy Ross House, and Effreth's Alley. 

Behind the Philly Art Museum (Rocky steps & statue), you have Boathouse Row on Kelly Drive. There's a greenbelt along the river there. 

That place has jacked their rates up over the last couple of years. 2 years ago I could get a room for around $150 a night and now they charge over $200. I'm coming up for fanfest 8/24 and we are staying at one of the hotels by the airport. Much cheaper.

15 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

your name Leland? 

Lol, nope. Why?

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Military, Virginia, eagles fan...

That describes me, too... though I've never been to Philly.

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

Was at a preseason game drinking with someone that had a similarities to you.  Military, Virginia, eagles fan who comes up often/fan fest. Shot in the dark lol

Gotcha. I actually dont come up a lot- maybe once or twice a year tops. This will be my first fanfest. 

31 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I did fan fest once.... I'll say this... good luck lol

Good or bad?

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That describes me, too... though I've never been to Philly.

Not a true fan then!! 😋

16 minutes ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Not a true fan then!! 😋

No, I'm just a bandwagoner. Been on the bandwagon so long, I'm the driver now.

2 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Good or bad?

Im sure it wouldnt have been good for a guy with a steelers jersey. 

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

No, I'm just a bandwagoner. Been on the bandwagon so long, I'm the driver now.

Wait, you've really never been to Philly?

4 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

Wait, you've really never been to Philly?

Does looking at it through the back window of my parents car, as we drove trough NJ to Fort Dix to my brothers Basic Training graduation, in 1985 count?

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Does looking at it through the back window of my parents car, as we drove trough NJ to Fort Dix to my brothers Basic Training graduation, in 1985 count?

No, no it doesn't lol.

Me neither. Only been to some local games. Just surprised considering I would put you on another "fan level" than most.

Just now, IFB DOG said:

No, no it doesn't lol.

Me neither. Only been to some local games. Just surprised considering I would put you on another "fan level" than most.

I've told my story on here quite a few times. I grew up in Maryland, not far from RFK stadium (in Washington, D.C.). When I was probably 4 (or so), I would always look at the Montgomery Wards catalog for the toy section. In it, they had all 26 NFL team uniforms, listed for kids. Yes, there were only 26 teams back then. We're talking 1973, 1974 at the latest (when I was 5). I tend to think it was around 73, though it could have been a tad earlier, because I know that I wasn't in school yet. But I think it was 73 because I also remember that O.J. Simpson breaking the 2,000 yard mark was around the same time.

Anyway, I would look at all of those helmets and the only one that I really liked was that green one with the cool looking wings. I had no real concept of what football was, of course. But I liked that cool, green helmet. So that was the foundation of my Eagles fandom... in a Redskins house, I might add. I had no idea that they played in the same division... I didn't even know the word 'division' lol.

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's (before my father bought a satellite dish which allowed us to get all NFL games... which was before Sunday Ticket), I was relegated to watching the Eagles (when they just happened to be on in the D.C. area), on a small 13" black and white TV in the basement. Unless, of course, they were playing the Redskins. But even then, I tended to have to watch somewhere else in the house, because two of my older brothers were Redskins fans and back then, the Eagles weren't all that good. So I always had to hear it from them. My oldest brother is a Raiders fan, so you can imagine that Super Bowl XV was a fun experience for me.

Heck, just trying to see Eagles highlights was a bit of a chore, from week to week because they didn't have many 'highlights' for a while there. I would literally walk several miles to get to a store that had various newspapers from around the country, and had the Philadelphia Inquirer, just so that I could read news about the Eagles that wasn't biased against them through the lens of the Washington Post or the Washington Star (which no longer exists).

Throughout the 80's, when the Redskins were winning or at least getting to Super Bowls, my brothers would try their best to get me to jump on the Redskins wagon, but I refused to budge.

Then, fast forward to the late 80's... I'm in the Army and where do I end up getting posted? Fort Hood, in Texas. So I went from all Redskins coverage, to all Cowboys coverage!

So, no, I've never been to Philadelphia. But I've been an Eagles fan for almost all of my 50 years, and the few years that I wasn't, are only because I had no awareness of them or of Football.

One of these days I may try to get to a game up there, but my long ago days in the Army make such a trip difficult.

13 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've told my story on here quite a few times. I grew up in Maryland, not far from RFK stadium (in Washington, D.C.). When I was probably 4 (or so), I would always look at the Montgomery Wards catalog for the toy section. In it, they had all 26 NFL team uniforms, listed for kids. Yes, there were only 26 teams back then. We're talking 1973, 1974 at the latest (when I was 5). I tend to think it was around 73, though it could have been a tad earlier, because I know that I wasn't in school yet. But I think it was 73 because I also remember that O.J. Simpson breaking the 2,000 yard mark was around the same time.

Anyway, I would look at all of those helmets and the only one that I really liked was that green one with the cool looking wings. I had no real concept of what football was, of course. But I liked that cool, green helmet. So that was the foundation of my Eagles fandom... in a Redskins house, I might add. I had no idea that they played in the same division... I didn't even know the word 'division' lol.

Growing up in the 70's and early 80's (before my father bought a satellite dish which allowed us to get all NFL games... which was before Sunday Ticket), I was relegated to watching the Eagles (when they just happened to be on in the D.C. area), on a small 13" black and white TV in the basement. Unless, of course, they were playing the Redskins. But even then, I tended to have to watch somewhere else in the house, because two of my older brothers were Redskins fans and back then, the Eagles weren't all that good. So I always had to hear it from them. My oldest brother is a Raiders fan, so you can imagine that Super Bowl XV was a fun experience for me.

Heck, just trying to see Eagles highlights was a bit of a chore, from week to week because they didn't have many 'highlights' for a while there. I would literally walk several miles to get to a store that had various newspapers from around the country, and had the Philadelphia Inquirer, just so that I could read news about the Eagles that wasn't biased against them through the lens of the Washington Post or the Washington Star (which no longer exists).

Throughout the 80's, when the Redskins were winning or at least getting to Super Bowls, my brothers would try their best to get me to jump on the Redskins wagon, but I refused to budge.

Then, fast forward to the late 80's... I'm in the Army and where do I end up getting posted? Fort Hood, in Texas. So I went from all Redskins coverage, to all Cowboys coverage!

So, no, I've never been to Philadelphia. But I've been an Eagles fan for almost all of my 50 years, and the few years that I wasn't, are only because I had no awareness of them or of Football.

One of these days I may try to get to a game up there, but my long ago days in the Army make such a trip difficult.

Nice story.  Dare I say it sounds eerily similar to some Cowboy fan stories of choosing them as their team because they like the  "star" but at least you chose correctly lol. 

Being close in age I can definitely relate to have to deal with Cowboys fans and in my case Steelers fans - because of all the bandwagoning in the 70's    If you're ever in the area - I'm in South NJ - I'd love to buy you a cheesesteak and beer as a thank you for that masterful Bluray collection you made.  Looking forward to another one of those  this season

13 minutes ago, Eagle3John99 said:

If you're ever in the area - I'm in South NJ - I'd love to buy you a cheesesteak and beer as a thank you for that masterful Bluray collection you made.  Looking forward to another one of those  this season

Awwwwww...:wub: