Captain F

Melvin Gordon asks for trade

24 minutes ago, Captain F said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27302133/gordon-agent-requests-chargers-trade-star-rb%3fplatform=amp

I think the RBs have gotten tired of all the "running backs aren't that important in today's nfl" talk.   

That talk is correct.

What leverage does he have? He isn’t what makes that offense go, and they did just as well offensively when he was injured. 

The reports are the chargers are offering him about $10M per, which would have him as one of the top 5 highest paid RBs. 

Don’t understand what he’s ****ing about tbh. 

If the Chargers "best offer” is $10 million you would think they could settle somewhere around $12.5 with guarantees.

Honestly, I’d trade Melvin Gordon before giving him that kind of contract. I wonder if anyone even wants to trade for him. Maybe the Dolphins? Bucs? Titans?

2 hours ago, SBorBust said:

If the Chargers "best offer” is $10 million you would think they could settle somewhere around $12.5 with guarantees.

Honestly, I’d trade Melvin Gordon before giving him that kind of contract. I wonder if anyone even wants to trade for him. Maybe the Dolphins? Bucs? Titans?

Colts would make sense to me. Could use a RB and they are good on cap space. 

That said, it they (or anyone else) are going to need to pay him more than $10M per, the Chargers aren’t getting much for assets in return. 

Gordon has been one of the best RB in the NFL despite playing one full year. Look at him vs other RB the past 3 years...he is second only to Gurley in total touchdowns and is tied with Zeke for second most rushing td. He is third in total yards, fourth in rushing yards. BTW...Jordan Howard, who was only worth a 6th rd pick, has quietly been one of the best RB. He likely is a one year rental and will get paid next year but you don't see him holding out, demanding more money. 

Since 2016

Most rushing yards (2000 or more)

1. Ezekiel Elliot - 4,048
2. Todd Gurley - 3,441
3. Jordan Howard - 3,370
4. Melvin Gordon - 2,987
5. Lamar Miller - 2,934
6. LeSean McCoy - 2,919
7. Mark Ingram - 2,812
8. Frank Gore - 2,708
9. Le'Veon Bell - 2,559
10. Carlos Hyde - 2,497
11. LeGarrette Blount - 2,343
12. Jay Ajayi - 2,329
13. Derek Henry - 2,293
14. David Johnson - 2,202
15. Kareem Hunt - 2,151 (2017-18)
16. Devonta Freeman - 2,032

Most rushing touchdowns

1. Todd Gurley - 36
2. Ezekiel Elliot - 28
3. Melvin Gordon - 28
4. LeGarrette Blount - 25
5. Jordan Howard - 24
6. Mark Ingram - 24
7. David Johnson - 23
8. Derek Henry - 22
9. Carlos Hyde - 19
10. Devonta Freeman - 18

Most total touchdowns

1. Todd Gurley - 46
2. Melvin Gordon - 38
3. Ezekiel Elliot - 34
3. David Johnson - 30
5. Mark Ingram - 29
6. LeGarrette Blount - 26
7. Jordan Howard - 25
8. Kareem Hunt - 25 (2017-18)
9. Derek Henry - 23
10. Devonta Freeman - 21

Most total yards

1. Ezekiel Elliot - 5,247
2. Todd Gurley - 5,136
3. Melvin Gordon - 4,372
4. Jordan Howard - 3,938
5. LeSean McCoy - 3,961
6. Le'Veon Bell - 3,830
7. Lamar Miller - 3,612
8. Mark Ingram - 3,717
9. David Johnson - 3,594
10. Frank Gore - 3,354

19 minutes ago, Jason1978 said:

Gordon has been one of the best RB in the NFL despite playing one full year. Look at him vs other RB the past 3 years...he is second only to Gurley in total touchdowns and is tied with Zeke for second most rushing td. He is third in total yards, fourth in rushing yards. BTW...Jordan Howard, who was only worth a 6th rd pick, has quietly been one of the best RB. He likely is a one year rental and will get paid next year but you don't see him holding out, demanding more money. 

Now give us the playoff records of the teams of those players in that time frame............

4 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Agholor and a 5th

24 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Now give us the playoff records of the teams of those players in that time frame............

What does that have to do with anything? The Chargers in four years with Gordon are 1-1 in the playoffs. So they have more playoff wins than the teams with O.J. and Gayle Sayers had and the same number teams with Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and HOF bound Adrian Peterson had.  

There are HOF RB who played for teams that had 0-1 playoff wins in their careers. Barry Sanders, arguably the best ever, played on teams that went 1-5 in the playoffs. Wasn't his fault, shouldn't discredit what he did for his team. Our former RB, LeSean McCoy, who has been one of the best RB during his era, is 0-3 in the playoffs with his teams (0-2 w/ Eagles, 0-1 w/ Buffalo). 

HOF RB...their teams a combined 7-21

Gayle Sayers: 0-0
O.J. Simpson: 0-1
Barry Sanders: 1-5
Adrian Peterson: 1-4
Jim Brown: 1-3
Eric Dickerson: 2-4
Earl Campbell: 2-4

2 minutes ago, Jason1978 said:

What does that have to do with anything?

There is nothing that proves it is a good idea to pay RB's premium money.  It has been proven time and again you can win titles without those guys.

I like how you glossed over the question I asked and went with the hall of famers who didnt win argument.

Take the top 10 QB's, WR's and RB's and run playoff and super bowl win loss, and one of those groups will be way behind the others.

41 minutes ago, paco said:

Agholor and a 5th

"We're fine there."

I'm not interested in a RB that wants $10 million+ per season, playing on a team that rotates at the position.

The Chargers are historically cheap, so he might have to hope for a trade.  But, I think most teams are not going to pay big money for RBs.  He would still most likely  get more money elsewhere vs. the  Chargers.  

Id love to see him get traded and get $12+ million per year.  BEFORE Zeke gets a deal.  How great would that be... 

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

The Chargers are historically cheap, so he might have to hope for a trade.  But, I think most teams are not going to pay big money for RBs.  He would still most likely  get more money elsewhere vs. the  Chargers.  

Agree, good post.

I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out. I don't see the Chargers trading him, just on the principal that they don't want a player dictating their actions.

7 hours ago, Jason1978 said:

What does that have to do with anything? ...

The goal of the Chargers is to win playoff games and a Super Bowl. It is not a goal to overpay some young RB who will most likely be awful before the end of the 'win the lottery' contract. Also every extra penny he gets takes away from what the rest of his team can earn.

This has nothing to do with Barry Sanders not winning playoff games or with Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, and Terrell Davis winning 6 Super Bowls.

19 hours ago, Captain F said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27302133/gordon-agent-requests-chargers-trade-star-rb%3fplatform=amp

I think the RBs have gotten tired of all the "running backs aren't that important in today's nfl" talk.   

There are RBs that are awesome and basically the only offense of their team. Zeke and Barkley come to mind. Gurley before the injury. Problem is they don't seem to have great shelf life

I feel like Giants are going to waste Barkleys best years which is both awesome and horrible

Some think they can keep playing for longer than usual because of AP and a few others

They just have so much wear and tear over their careers and you can always find another. Maybe not a Zeke, Barkley or Gurley but still

On 8/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Jason1978 said:

Since 2016

Most rushing yards (2000 or more)

1. Ezekiel Elliot - 4,048
2. Todd Gurley - 3,441
3. Jordan Howard - 3,370
4. Melvin Gordon - 2,987
5. Lamar Miller - 2,934
6. LeSean McCoy - 2,919
7. Mark Ingram - 2,812
8. Frank Gore - 2,708
9. Le'Veon Bell - 2,559
10. Carlos Hyde - 2,497
11. LeGarrette Blount - 2,343
12. Jay Ajayi - 2,329
13. Derek Henry - 2,293
14. David Johnson - 2,202
15. Kareem Hunt - 2,151 (2017-18)
16. Devonta Freeman - 2,032

Most rushing touchdowns

1. Todd Gurley - 36
2. Ezekiel Elliot - 28
3. Melvin Gordon - 28
4. LeGarrette Blount - 25
5. Jordan Howard - 24
6. Mark Ingram - 24
7. David Johnson - 23
8. Derek Henry - 22
9. Carlos Hyde - 19
10. Devonta Freeman - 18

Most total touchdowns

1. Todd Gurley - 46
2. Melvin Gordon - 38
3. Ezekiel Elliot - 34
3. David Johnson - 30
5. Mark Ingram - 29
6. LeGarrette Blount - 26
7. Jordan Howard - 25
8. Kareem Hunt - 25 (2017-18)
9. Derek Henry - 23
10. Devonta Freeman - 21

Most total yards

1. Ezekiel Elliot - 5,247
2. Todd Gurley - 5,136
3. Melvin Gordon - 4,372
4. Jordan Howard - 3,938
5. LeSean McCoy - 3,961
6. Le'Veon Bell - 3,830
7. Lamar Miller - 3,612
8. Mark Ingram - 3,717
9. David Johnson - 3,594
10. Frank Gore - 3,354

Pretty cool that the eagles have or had 3 of the top 12. 

48 minutes ago, ggs5008 said:

Pretty cool that the eagles have or had 3 of the top 12. 

1 hour ago, Captain F said:

Ahh yes, can't forget about the honorable Frank Gore. Legendary Eagle

13 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Ahh yes, can't forget about the honorable Frank Gore. Legendary Eagle

Howard. McCoy, Blount,Ajayi