Sign in to follow this  
Jason1978

Dak reportedly turns down $30 million a year, wants $40 million

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

That's great and all, but doesn't that pose a proble for the HC jason garrett?  Wasn't Garrett sold to us all as the Sean mcVay of 8 years ago?  So now his offense is proven useless and the "CEO" has 2 playoff wins under his belt...

This is the Cowboys weak point IMHO.  Garrett is in no position to rally the locker room when things get tough.  He is nothing but a surrogate for Jerruh, who has now also been weakened by these inane contract negotiations that he publicly lost.

So who's got the reigns on this team?  Dak?  He can't even control his co-captain Zeke.  There are plenty of rebels on this team and no sheriff.  That's the Cowboys weakness just like Age & injury is for the Eagles.

idk, JJ took play calling from Garrett 5 years ago, they are still using Garrett's scheme, Moore just spiced it up,  the idea that Garrett is some sort of offensive guru has long been dead in Dallas. The team has always played hard for Garrett and you have heard very few players if any say anything bad about him once they leave, which is rare....you never hear "anonymous sources" in the locker room..which you have even heard in Philly about Wentz. I mean Dallas has had some bad years and some years of disappointment at the end of the year and the fact that you hear no griping about him from players anonymously and after they leave says something....because in situations like those you usually do. Keep in mind I'm a guy that wants Garrett gone, or has unless we totally scrapped his scheme.

Where it could get hairy is if the offense continues to ball out, the team maybe makes a deep playoff run and teams start coming to ask Moore about a HC position (which to me would be insane, this is his 2nd year as a coach)....then does Dallas promote him and fire JG...I could see that causing drama from the inside

No QB is keeping another guy from holding out and no QB has the reigns of their team in that way...Brady doesn't in NE, Bill runs ish.... and plenty of rebels? like who? Even though Zeke held out of camp he still attended every offseason and mini camp and was face timing Dak during training camp every day to go over the playbook...so I'm not even calling him a huge rebel.

The weakness of the cowboys is not being aggressive enough in FA, so I think hey have a few too many holes....and until proven otherwise they don't have the offensive coaching staff to out scheme anyone 

31 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Good to see you steph. 

Hey im all for the media hyping the:

cowboys

patriots

patrick mahomes

and the rams and saints

24/7.  

Keep us out of the discussion(s) and under the radar

good to see you too!

you guys aren't under the radar per se, most people picked Philly to win the east...it's just a week to week league over reaction league...... every big win and all of a sudden you are the 85 bears and 89 49ers rolled into one....every loss and you are the 0-16 Lions that may never win again.

I only watched a few minutes here and there of First Take.   It’s beyond horrible and im going to assume they all are.

they were screaming over each other for 15 minutes about who is better, brees or d watson.  Stupid. Whats the point?  Brees is a HOF and we have no clue what watson will end up being.  

There are far better football discussions to be had here on these boards actually.  But the GDT is god awful 

3 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Good to see you steph. 

Hey im all for the media hyping the:

cowboys

patriots

patrick mahomes

and the rams and saints

24/7.  

Keep us out of the discussion(s) and under the radar

Under the radar, Eagles?? No way most people pick them to win the East and many say the SB. Wentz got all kinds of credit for the second had come back. No one talked about the miss throws he has earlier in the game. Both guys played great but it’s a long season. If you look at the league there are some good young QB’s as well as some vets. There was a time when the league was having problems finding good QB’s but it has changed in recent years. 

1 hour ago, gch said:

Under the radar, Eagles?? No way most people pick them to win the East and many say the SB. Wentz got all kinds of credit for the second had come back. No one talked about the miss throws he has earlier in the game. Both guys played great but it’s a long season. If you look at the league there are some good young QB’s as well as some vets. There was a time when the league was having problems finding good QB’s but it has changed in recent years. 

So it’s 23.5/7 cowboy hype.   Got it 

23 hours ago, Stephen1 said:

🤣

it was one game....Kellen Moore may pull a Chip Kelly and have no answer when teams adjust, but this game showed just how un-QB friendly the old scheme was, which I have been ranting about for years.

Dallas put players in motion about 15% (league average is 55%) of their snaps over the last few years, and it was always to have one guy run across the formation to show the coverage....yesterday they moved multiple guys around prior to the snap which a few times resulted in confusion. I think they had motion 60% of the time. The motion also allowed Cooper to get matched up on a SS which resulted in a big play

In the old scheme Dallas exclusively ran isolation routes...each receiver had to individually beat his guy, there was nothing designed to free up specific guy,  Yesterday Dallas ran plays specifically designed to get Cooper, Cobb, Zeke, and even the FB the ball.

That's why i"ve always thought Dak deserved a little bit of a break, not that this will happen every week, but last year Romo, Witten and Kurt Warner all said the Linehan/Garrett scheme didn't make anything easy for the QB..

aside from the busted coverages Dak probably had 6-7 easy, quick throws to get the ball in guys hands that resulted in probably 50-60 of his yards.....most QB's get that every week...I hope it continues

I didn't watch much of the first Dallas/Giants game. I saw the Giants march down and score, and then the Cowboys struggle a bit early on offense before turning it on after that.

One game doesn't make a trend despite what you read/hear in the media. But if the Cowboys are finally getting creative on offense then the Eagles could be in trouble in this division. Dallas has always struggled to get the easy yards. It seems like everything they had to gain on offense was a difficult battle to get for them. 

Also I can't help but feel Dak is playing with a chip on his shoulder. Seeing both Wentz and Goff get monster deals when he has been trying to get one of his own has to be frustrating. Most fans around here were extremely reluctant to give Wentz his big deal and it doesn't sound like he was hunting for one, but I'm happy they did now for the reasons I have stated on this board before... QBs get paid, and the QB that gets paid last, gets paid most. Locking Wentz in early for less will pay dividends down the road. Granted, the Eagles did have another option in rolling with Foles so that is what led to some fans disagreeing with the move, but it's looking to work out now.

In the case of the Cowboys, they don't have another play. It's pay Dak what he wants and hope he plays the way he has been and doesn't regress. But even if he does regress, it's their only move... the team is good enough to win now. There is no QB on the market this season or next that's just going to walk in and make Dallas a better team than having Dak at the helm. I think Dallas is doing themselves no favours by delaying this.

48 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I didn't watch much of the first Dallas/Giants game. I saw the Giants march down and score, and then the Cowboys struggle a bit early on offense before turning it on after that.

One game doesn't make a trend despite what you read/hear in the media. But if the Cowboys are finally getting creative on offense then the Eagles could be in trouble in this division. Dallas has always struggled to get the easy yards. It seems like everything they had to gain on offense was a difficult battle to get for them. 

Also I can't help but feel Dak is playing with a chip on his shoulder. Seeing both Wentz and Goff get monster deals when he has been trying to get one of his own has to be frustrating. Most fans around here were extremely reluctant to give Wentz his big deal and it doesn't sound like he was hunting for one, but I'm happy they did now for the reasons I have stated on this board before... QBs get paid, and the QB that gets paid last, gets paid most. Locking Wentz in early for less will pay dividends down the road. Granted, the Eagles did have another option in rolling with Foles so that is what led to some fans disagreeing with the move, but it's looking to work out now.

In the case of the Cowboys, they don't have another play. It's pay Dak what he wants and hope he plays the way he has been and doesn't regress. But even if he does regress, it's their only move... the team is good enough to win now. There is no QB on the market this season or next that's just going to walk in and make Dallas a better team than having Dak at the helm. I think Dallas is doing themselves no favours by delaying this.

eh, they moved the ball close to mid field on the first possession, punted, then scored 5 straight td's, so I wouldn't say they struggled early on, lol, but that's just me being argumentative...

agreed on the comment about one game...it was creative, but we'll see if they keep that up and if they adjust once other teams get film on them..

Philly was smart to lock Wentz in early, I wish Dallas had done the same, now it will cost them a couple million per year most likely.

3 minutes ago, Stephen1 said:

eh, they moved the ball close to mid field on the first possession, punted, then scored 5 straight td's, so I wouldn't say they struggled early on, lol, but that's just me being argumentative...

agreed on the comment about one game...it was creative, but we'll see if they keep that up and if they adjust once other teams get film on them..

Philly was smart to lock Wentz in early, I wish Dallas had done the same, now it will cost them a couple million per year most likely.

I honestly didn't watch about mid way through their second drive before the beatdown. 

Everyone likes to overy hype and, on the flipside, down play some teams after one week. I think it's not really until the end of September that you can start to see viable trends on a team and how they perform.

Lots on the board here were not fond of signing Wentz to a deal citing health. Which is a bit understandable and still a risk, you'd hate to have a guy with a fresh 100 million contract spending time on the trainers table. We also had Foles who was viable for us as well. Dallas didn't really have those sorts of distractions with Prescott, I think they should of locked him up sooner (who knows maybe they tried and Prescott turned them down.. hence the title of this thread) but simply put it will now cost them more. What that magnitude is, is tough to say. If it grows into the 3-4 million more per season I would cite it as significant as that's good backup/starter money for most other positions. if it's in the 1-2 million range I don't see it having too much of an impact on their team.

Wings does bring up a valid point. Dallas could just give Dak top dollar, but it'll be at the expense of a solid backup QB, and other positions will be sacrificed. 

But I'm not going to lie, what frightens me is if the cost of QBs goes up, then what's the expected pay for a backup? 

There has to be a limit at some point.

1 hour ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Wings does bring up a valid point. Dallas could just give Dak top dollar, but it'll be at the expense of a solid backup QB, and other positions will be sacrificed. 

But I'm not going to lie, what frightens me is if the cost of QBs goes up, then what's the expected pay for a backup? 

There has to be a limit at some point.

Really you have no choice...can’t let Dak walk so you can sign a solid backup and really, it’s the same position every team with a franchise qb is in...Philly could afford a lot for Foles because Wentz was on a rookie deal...had Wentz still had a few more years on his rookie deal...Foles is probably still here...but you can really only pay one guy at QB

All I gotta say is that those Eagles/Cowboys games this year should be beyond epic...more than usual. Can't wait for those games!

Gotta see how Dak does under pressure. Giants defense was terrible. Got the least amount of pressure on the QB than any other team did this weekend. I'm hoping Dak has taken that next step, but it seems a little too good to be true. Still impressed that they didn't come out flat like they do every season opener.

Dallas fans are very hard on their QB’s. It’s not just the media. I remember in the 80’s after Troy won the first SB and the next year the media was all over him about not being as good as Steve Young and others. Dallas QB is the most scrutinized and inspected player in all of sports I believe. 

I listen to a rep from Pro Football Focus on Monday evening about the quarterbacks from Sunday’s games. He raved about Wentz and how amazing he played against the skins. When he came to Dak the host ask him how impressed he was with his play against the Giants. He said and I quote he is an average at best QB and will never be any better. He complained about the pass to Jarwin and how he almost missed him. 

Its not fair but it’s the job. Dak will never be a franchise QB to the media, many Cowboy fans, and most other fans. 

Oh well he should just get him money and win more games. 

I'm really looking forward to these two teams battling it out. Should be a lot of fun to watch. 

18 minutes ago, gch said:

Dallas fans are very hard on their QB’s. It’s not just the media. I remember in the 80’s after Troy won the first SB and the next year the media was all over him about not being as good as Steve Young and others. Dallas QB is the most scrutinized and inspected player in all of sports I believe. 

I listen to a rep from Pro Football Focus on Monday evening about the quarterbacks from Sunday’s games. He raved about Wentz and how amazing he played against the skins. When he came to Dak the host ask him how impressed he was with his play against the Giants. He said and I quote he is an average at best QB and will never be any better. He complained about the pass to Jarwin and how he almost missed him. 

Its not fair but it’s the job. Dak will never be a franchise QB to the media, many Cowboy fans, and most other fans. 

Playing qb in  dalllas is way harder. mcnabb complained about getting booed after all he did for philly .Aikman won three rings and still got booed when he struggled.

1 hour ago, gch said:

Troy didn't win in the 80's

1 minute ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Troy didn't win in the 80's

Typo thanks for catching that. 

BTW what ever happened to Westbrook? Is he still around Philly?

37 minutes ago, gch said:

Typo thanks for catching that. 

BTW what ever happened to Westbrook? Is he still around Philly?

Not sure they said he has CTE. 

I didn't want to create a thread for this so I'll put it here

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cowboys-demarcus-lawrence-explains-snubbing-young-giants-fan/ar-AAHbPHD

I get the feeling the kid is more of a fan of players instead of teams. Still a D move by Lawrence

His father should have known this was a possibility though...

8 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I didn't want to create a thread for this so I'll put it here

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cowboys-demarcus-lawrence-explains-snubbing-young-giants-fan/ar-AAHbPHD

I get the feeling the kid is more of a fan of players instead of teams. Still a D move by Lawrence

His father should have known this was a possibility though...

I met John Runyan at the Mall once and he did the same to my son....😂..but my son was a teenager.

My first thought was big deal..it’s an opposing fan...but that’s a little kid, and you can see how disappointed he is....really a D move...

He should have handles that differently. The poor kid looked pretty disappointed. 

2 hours ago, mike030270 said:

There's an update to the story. Barkey is going to fly the kid and his family out to see the Giants/Jets game

https://nypost.com/2019/09/14/saquon-barkley-rescues-young-giants-fan-from-demarcus-lawrence-autograph-snub/

Pretty cool

Hasn’t the kid been through enough?

Seriously though, classy move 

At this point he should wait until after Mahomes gets his extension, which should come on the day the season ends. He deserves to be paid more then him.

23 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Dak should get twice as much as Mahommes!

Mahomes only has 2 rushing TDs compared to 19 for Dak, and since that is a very important stat for QBs, he should get 9x the amount Mahomes gets.