Sign in to follow this  
Jason1978

Dak reportedly turns down $30 million a year, wants $40 million

42 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh my God this is the perfect birthday present to read this today!

Happy Birthday!!

god, if this situation doesn't just define the Cowboys I don't know what does.

Dak literally needs pro bowlers at every position around for him to be successful. Take zeke away and he’s Jamarcus Russell/Blake Bortles 2.0. Even with pro bowlers he’s not going to wow you. 23rd ranked scoring team in the league last year and 27th in the RZ 😐

Give Russell Wilson that team and their winning the SB. Put dak on the Seahawks and they’ll get the number one draft pick 

3 hours ago, Br3 said:

Dak literally needs pro bowlers at every position around for him to be successful. Take zeke away and he’s Jamarcus Russell/Blake Bortles 2.0. Even with pro bowlers he’s not going to wow you. 23rd ranked scoring team in the league last year and 27th in the RZ 😐

Give Russell Wilson that team and their winning the SB. Put dak on the Seahawks and they’ll get the number one draft pick 

I agree that Dak is an average QB. But I think the statement about him being carried by pro bowlers at every position is a little over the top. Aside from Amari, he had hot garbage for receiving options last year, and yet the Cowboys made the playoffs. Dak also led a few game winning or game tying drives which I give him a lot of credit for. 

4 hours ago, Br3 said:

I also think that's a bit much.  He's at worst a bona fide franchise Qb and an elite game manager.  I think he has room to grow.

48 minutes ago, GoBirds2015 said:

I agree that Dak is an average QB. But I think the statement about him being carried by pro bowlers at every position is a little over the top. Aside from Amari, he had hot garbage for receiving options last year, and yet the Cowboys made the playoffs. Dak also led a few game winning or game tying drives which I give him a lot of credit for. 

Yes, BUT.  LOL.  The Cowboys entire game plan is running the ball down your throat until you are too tired to stop Zeke.  "Prescott's" game winning drives all come off of that strategy.

As for the contract, I think we all agree 30m is plenty fair for Dak, but I also get that he feels grossly underpaid the last 3 years and thinks he deserves a little extra to get some of that back.  Ultimately I think he goes for 34m/yr.

Again, this is simple -- as a FA after the 2019 season, Dak won't sniff $32-35mm per year. There's a reason every ranking of QBs by front office types pegs him as a Tier 3/above average starter. He'll get Kirk Cousins type money, and that will be fair. The idea that he should be paid more than Wentz, let alone Wilson, is high comedy. You are worth what the market says you're worth. Will Cain and Skip Bayless can talk about his stats vs. Wentz all day (and Wentz is significantly better if you only look at the last 2 years), but it doesn't matter -- the market does.

I pray Jerruh is dumb enough to give him Wilson money. No one else in the league will.

The Cowboys have quite the issue here. On the one hand he's not worth elite money. On the other they know he's a slightly above average starter and in this league even that's rare. Do they risk it? Don't pay him and see if they can find his replacement?

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Cowboys have quite the issue here. On the one hand he's not worth elite money. On the other they know he's a slightly above average starter and in this league even that's rare. Do they risk it? Don't pay him and see if they can find his replacement?

I hope they pay him, Zeke holds out, Cooper's foot injury is worse than initially thought, and they go 0-2 v NYG and WAS.  That would make for an epic meltdown in big D.

He's got arm strength and all that jazz.  His game, like McNabb, plays very well in the NFC east.  He is not hot garbage.

3 hours ago, GoBirds2015 said:

They won the division and made the playoffs in large because of Zeke's ability to take over a game. Dak did everything he could possibly do to lose a few games especially against us but Zeke was the glue to that offense. I don't like the guy but he's a straight up beast. 

35 minutes ago, heavywchamp said:

They won the division and made the playoffs in large because of Zeke's ability to take over a game. Dak did everything he could possibly do to lose a few games especially against us but Zeke was the glue to that offense. I don't like the guy but he's a straight up beast. 

Zeke is a beast, but don't discount Daks play the second half of the season last year.  He is not elite.  He is not worth 35 a year, but he is not a scrub as some people are making out.  I will point out you guys paid Wentz like a top 3 QB in this league (and he is not there yet) based on upside and disregarded his injury history. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

7 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Zeke is a beast, but don't discount Daks play the second half of the season last year.  He is not elite.  He is not worth 35 a year, but he is not a scrub as some people are making out.  I will point out you guys paid Wentz like a top 3 QB in this league (and he is not there yet) based on upside and disregarded his injury history. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

This is sooooooooo far off.

Wentz became the 4th highest paid QB after his deal.

2 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Sorry top 4.... and he is still not there...

I'll tell you the same thing I told someone else. Wentz being the 4th highest paid QB is basically meaningless. Over the next year or two, you're going to have a number of QB extensions worked out that will quickly push Wentz down the line.

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'll tell you the same thing I told someone else. Wentz being the 4th highest paid QB is basically meaningless. Over the next year or two, you're going to have a number of QB extensions worked out that will quickly push Wentz down the line.

I'm not disputing this fact at all.

28 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Contracts are also based on potential going forward. Not saying Dak is a scrub but he's not close to a top 10 QB. Take it for what it's worth but even his peers throughout the league didn't even think he was a top 100 player. It's clear that Zeke is the most important part of that offense and the guy defense are worried about. This Zeke situation is getting ugly so what's your opinion on Dak leading that offense without Zeke?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

… in this league even that's rare.

But rewind to 2017, the Eagles had two starting caliber QB's on the roster in Carson and Nick. That's even more rare in the modern NFL where the salary cap prevents a team from being able to do that.

Dak has these game winning drives because Schwartz has the CBs play 15 yards off the line of scrimmage in the 4th qt.  He can dink and dak all Fing day.  Its a perfect defensive scheme in daks eyes.  Brady would have done the same thing in the superbowl but the d line was agressive enough to cause a turnover.  

5 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Wentz was an All-Pro QB, something Dak will never be, not even close. And by the time his "new money" actually kicks in, Wentz won't even be top 9 in salary, if not lower, while Dak without Zeke is Blake Bortles without the big arm.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:14 PM, gch said:

Dak will not get $40 mil in fact the report was wrong and he never said that. Stephen will get these deals done it what the cowboys do. 

I do love the disrespect that Dak gets in here and I wouldn’t expect anything different. You know all he does is win games. That is what you pay a QB to do. Doesn’t matter if he throws for 5000 yards if he doesn’t find a way to win tough games. He beat Wentz last year twice and that was when he was healthy. Wentz had a chance in each game to win it but failed both times. Dak has his short comings but we should act as though Wentz is the next Tom Brady either. 

Until he doesn't and that is the issue. Players like him, who are mediocre in most facets of the game but are 'winners' typically wind up losers in the end. The mediocrity eventually catches up to them.