Sign in to follow this  
Jason1978

Dak reportedly turns down $30 million a year, wants $40 million

51 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Wentz was an All-Pro QB, something Dak will never be, not even close. And by the time his "new money" actually kicks in, Wentz won't even be top 9 in salary, if not lower, while Dak without Zeke is Blake Bortles without the big arm.

Lets wait till Wentz actually play a playoff game or win one or even finish a season since his rookie year before you declare him the greatest thing since chocolate cake. I don't agree with the amount Dak is demanding, I just hope we lock both Dak and Zeke up for a long time. At least Dak isn't injury prone like Wentz. 😂

5 hours ago, heavywchamp said:

Contracts are also based on potential going forward. Not saying Dak is a scrub but he's not close to a top 10 QB. Take it for what it's worth but even his peers throughout the league didn't even think he was a top 100 player. It's clear that Zeke is the most important part of that offense and the guy defense are worried about. This Zeke situation is getting ugly so what's your opinion on Dak leading that offense without Zeke?

The Zeke situation is no worse today than it was 2 weeks ago.  The offense will struggle without Zeke there is no doubt, but I don't know that it will be a complete loss.

58 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Wentz was an All-Pro QB, something Dak will never be, not even close. And by the time his "new money" actually kicks in, Wentz won't even be top 9 in salary, if not lower, while Dak without Zeke is Blake Bortles without the big arm.

Did he finish the season his all pro year?  I am not telling you Dak is better than Wentz I like Wentz.  I think Wentz will be a very good QB in this league, but I don't think he will ever be elite.  He has a problem staying on the field and he has not been real clutch in the 4th quarter at times when they have needed him to be.  Those are 2 pretty big traits of an elite QB.  I don't think Dak will be elite either.  Hell he will probably top out as just pretty good, but today at this moment Dak is worth the same deal you guys have Carson.

4 hours ago, eagle_eye20 said:

Dak has these game winning drives because Schwartz has the CBs play 15 yards off the line of scrimmage in the 4th qt.  He can dink and dak all Fing day.  Its a perfect defensive scheme in daks eyes.  Brady would have done the same thing in the superbowl but the d line was agressive enough to cause a turnover.  

You need to go back and look at his and Carson`s stats side by side before you complain about how much Dak "dinks and dak" you will be a little surprised what you find.

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

I hope they pay him, Zeke holds out, Cooper's foot injury is worse than initially thought, and they go 0-2 v NYG and WAS.  That would make for an epic meltdown in big D.

And oh boy do I love a good old cowboy meltdown!

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

But rewind to 2017, the Eagles had two starting caliber QB's on the roster in Carson and Nick. That's even more rare in the modern NFL where the salary cap prevents a team from being able to do that.

That's true but we were beneficiaries of a situation whereby teams didn't value Foles and so we got him as a reasonably priced back up. 

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's true but we were beneficiaries of a situation whereby teams didn't value Foles and so we got him as a reasonably priced back up. 

Yeah, but I mainly wanted any Cowboys fan who may read this thread, to be reminded that we won the Super Bowl and give them the vision of Nick Foles hoisting the Lombardi... and just in case they didn't get that vision automatically ...

philadelphia-eagles-nick-foles-7177b25d736af12a.thumb.jpg.3a799725d82fa93a0311cb053ffcaa56.jpg

2 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yeah, but I mainly wanted any Cowboys fan who may read this thread, to be reminded that we won the Super Bowl and give them the vision of Nick Foles hoisting the Lombardi... and just in case they didn't get that vision automatically ...

philadelphia-eagles-nick-foles-7177b25d736af12a.thumb.jpg.3a799725d82fa93a0311cb053ffcaa56.jpg

Perfect. I hope they can remember that sweet sweet moment well!

Dak has made this easy for the Cowboys -- have him play this year for $2.1mm, and assuming he plays reasonably well, tag him for 2020 (since it is the last year of the CBA, they could also use a transition tag on another player). The non-exclusive QB tag was just under $25mm this year, so let's say it spikes to $27.9mm, meaning you get 2 years for $30mm. After 2020 there will be a new CBA, a new structure, and maybe no more franchise tag. But you keep him through 2020 for $30mm -- that's the smart play.

Once again, comparing Dak and Wentz's stats is MEANINGLESS (and misleading since people rely on career stats and ignore recent trajectory). This is all about market value, and Dak Prescott wouldn't get an offer higher than Wentz/Wilson from any other team if he were a free agent. Dallas should just break off negotiations at this point. I hope they don't...I hope they give him Wilson money. But I sure as hell wouldn't. 

42 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Dak has made this easy for the Cowboys -- have him play this year for $2.1mm, and assuming he plays reasonably well, tag him for 2020 (since it is the last year of the CBA, they could also use a transition tag on another player). The non-exclusive QB tag was just under $25mm this year, so let's say it spikes to $27.9mm, meaning you get 2 years for $30mm. After 2020 there will be a new CBA, a new structure, and maybe no more franchise tag. But you keep him through 2020 for $30mm -- that's the smart play.

Once again, comparing Dak and Wentz's stats is MEANINGLESS (and misleading since people rely on career stats and ignore recent trajectory). This is all about market value, and Dak Prescott wouldn't get an offer higher than Wentz/Wilson from any other team if he were a free agent. Dallas should just break off negotiations at this point. I hope they don't...I hope they give him Wilson money. But I sure as hell wouldn't. 

Sorry but I think you're wrong.  If you think it is so easy to replace an above average Qb -- with a great health track record and young enough to still grow mind you -- ask the Redskins how things have gone since letting Cousins go.  There are young Qb's all over the league, Darnold/Allen/Winston/Mariota/Garropolo.  I'll even say Trubisky, who have yet to prove they can play at the level and with the dependability Dak has proven since day 1 as a rookie.

And most importantly you have completely lost the forest for the trees, the Cowboys have their deepest and strongest roster since the mid 90's.  A roster that is clearly going to be very difficult to keep together.  Fracturing the relationship with the QB or the star player RB throws that in the trash.

No man, the Cowboys do need to sign Dak.  Hus market value is about 30m but if he hardballs it to 33m it won' be the worst contract in the NFL, or even worst Qb contract, by a long shot.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And oh boy do I love a good old cowboy meltdown!

Where are you seeing this meltdown?  Dak is in camp taking care of his business.  Cooper is in camp taking care of his business.  Zeke is holding out, but he is not in the media everyday talking about his contract. What part of this is a meltdown?  Do you guys get news that the rest of the planet does not get where these guys are holding pressers everyday yelling and screaming about get me done right now. Things in Cowboys camp seem pretty low key at the moment.

11 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Sorry but I think you're wrong.  If you think it is so easy to replace an above average Qb -- with a great health track record and young enough to still grow mind you -- ask the Redskins how things have gone since letting Cousins go.  There are young Qb's all over the league, Darnold/Allen/Winston/Mariota/Garropolo.  I'll even say Trubisky, who have yet to prove they can play at the level and with the dependability Dak has proven since day 1 as a rookie.

And most importantly you have completely lost the forest for the trees, the Cowboys have their deepest and strongest roster since the mid 90's.  A roster that is clearly going to be very difficult to keep together.  Fracturing the relationship with the QB or the star player RB throws that in the trash.

No man, the Cowboys do need to sign Dak.  Hus market value is about 30m but if he hardballs it to 33m it won' be the worst contract in the NFL, or even worst Qb contract, by a long shot.

Dude you are making way to much sense here.  You better stop or they will going to take away your Eagles Fan Card.  Great post though.

I mostly stay away from these threads but I gotta say this. I like Zek and what he brings to the table. He is part of a hand full of RBs you need to factor when you consider your playbook. Now I don’t watch any cowboy games outside the ones they play vs eagles. Unless it is Thanksgiving because well, football! Anyway, I watch Dak and I just see a standard QB. The guy he durable I will give him that and in this league that is worth a lot of money already. He is pretty good if not great game manager of a QB. He is not flashy, he is not going to drop 50 yard buckets every throw. The guy gives it to his playmakers and lets them do the work.

That is where the contract is an issue even at 30 mil. – I am a huge fan of Nick and would rather have him over Carson, but I will be the first to say Nick sits between Great game manager and maybe elite level QB. He sits there. He took a salary 24mil(I think) a year. While Dak who I think can be on that level of Nick in a couple more years wants over 30 mil.

I struggle seeing the value in that contact when the playmakers around him are doing the work. Problem is it is hard to find in the NFL a game manager who is durable and I would not fault the Cowboys to spend 30mil. I figured that was his price tag honestly. Still high but you get a QB who you know will start games and give it to playmakers.

It will be harder to replace Dak with another QB mostly because of durability. That is his true value imo.

Go birds! (so I don’t get my a** kicked in philly tonight)

57 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Washington was in 1st place in the NFC East after letting Cousins go before their QBs got hurt and they played Mark freaking Sanchez, so...try and come up with a better example. 

And Dak is in camp and playing -- no relationship has been fractured. Assuming they offered him something in the Wentz zip code, and he turned it down, you tell him to play out the season. And the whole point is -- you aren't replacing him. You have the tag, so he isn't going anywhere. Not sure why you think I advocated replacing him. 

Would Dak get $30mm on the open market? No. Would/should Dallas do that deal? Yes. But not $35-$40mm. 

1 minute ago, vikas83 said:

Washington was in 1st place in the NFC East after letting Cousins go before their QBs got hurt and they played Mark freaking Sanchez, so...try and come up with a better example. 

And Dak is in camp and playing -- no relationship has been fractured. Assuming they offered him something in the Wentz zip code, and he turned it down, you tell him to play out the season. And the whole point is -- you aren't replacing him. You have the tag, so he isn't going anywhere. Not sure why you think I advocated replacing him. 

Would Dak get $30mm on the open market? No. Would/should Dallas do that deal? Yes. But not $35-$40mm. 

Washington is a GREAT example.  One year after the Cousins trade and here they are hoping Haskins can develop by 2021 so they can get back to the level of Qb they had with him.  Btw, I expect a pretty nice year for Cousins in Minny.

I have no reason to doubt Dak could get 30m/yr (or more) on the open market at age 27 or 28 with his track record and current trajectory.  This is a league that gave Sam Bradford 20m/1yr FFS.  I'd go further and say Pokes better get this done fast, because they have surrounded him with such a good cast he could light it up, sans Zeke, the first couple weeks with that cupcake september schedule.

Then he'll really want 40m.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Washington is a GREAT example.  One year after the Cousins trade and here they are hoping Haskins can develop by 2021 so they can get back to the level of Qb they had with him.  Btw, I expect a pretty nice year for Cousins in Minny.

I have no reason to doubt Dak could get 30m/yr (or more) on the open market at age 27 or 28 with his track record and current trajectory.  This is a league that gave Sam Bradford 20m/1yr FFS.  I'd go further and say Pokes better get this done fast, because they have surrounded him with such a good cast he could light it up, sans Zeke, the first couple weeks with that cupcake september schedule.

Then he'll really want 40m.

Yep.

1 minute ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Yep.

Ok, now that ive defended your Pokes, admit it, you are really nervous about how this is playing out.  It sure looks like AT LEAST one of these contracts is going to go sideways and turn very ugly.

16 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Ok, now that ive defended your Pokes, admit it, you are really nervous about how this is playing out.  It sure looks like AT LEAST one of these contracts is going to go sideways and turn very ugly.

I have never denied I am nervous, but the one i think is going to go south is Cooper.  That is bad for us.  I remember the 1st half of last season.  He is not screaming now, but if Dak and Zeke get done and they put him on the back burner I have a feeling it will get sour pretty quick.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Sorry but I think you're wrong.  If you think it is so easy to replace an above average Qb -- with a great health track record and young enough to still grow mind you -- 1) ask the Redskins how things have gone since letting Cousins go.  There are young Qb's all over the league, Darnold/Allen/Winston/Mariota/Garropolo.  I'll even say Trubisky, who have yet to prove they can play at the level and with the dependability Dak has proven since day 1 as a rookie.

And most importantly you have completely lost the forest for the trees, 2) the Cowboys have their deepest and strongest roster since the mid 90's.  A roster that is clearly going to be very difficult to keep together.  Fracturing the relationship with the QB or the star player RB throws that in the trash.

1) He sucks. He showed it since 2016 after losing against Giants in week 17 (some people blamed their defense for not getting to Playoffs, but defense in this game played more than well enough to win). In 2017, he did nothing. 2018 was a repeat of 2016. He and his team lost another 'win and you're in' game. People blame John Deflippo for his sucking, but he couldn't pull out a win against Bears. Redskins were right to let Cousins go. They got Haskins now. Maybe he'll be better than Cousins. Same thing with Stafford, but a little more successful.

2) Best way to keep roster together is to say bye-bye to Dak Prescott. He's not worth what he wants (as an Eagles fan, I hope he gets contract he wants). $30M/year is a reasonable offer for him. It's laughable he wants to get paid more than Rodgers. He would destroy cap space and that 'deep and strong' roster. In 2017, Dak sucked when Elliot got suspended. In 2018, he sucked until Cooper came along. Dak is weakest link to that 'deep and strong' roster. If Cowboys are smart, they would let go of Prescott (or at least let him test free agency to see what other teams would offer him). Video showing what Prescott is: 

14 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

I have never denied I am nervous, but the one i think is going to go south is Cooper.  That is bad for us.  I remember the 1st half of last season.  He is not screaming now, but if Dak and Zeke get done and they put him on the back burner I have a feeling it will get sour pretty quick.

It feels like 3 juggled balls in the air and any one or 2 of them could drop.  And we arent even talking Byron Jones yet.  Arguably as irreplaceable as any of them.

16 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

It feels like 3 juggled balls in the air and any one or 2 of them could drop.  And we arent even talking Byron Jones yet.  Arguably as irreplaceable as any of them.

I think Jones is expendable.  I really think he was over hyped last year.  Teams went away from him because they felt they could attack the rookie easier, but Jones got exposed a lot when teams went at him.  Jaylon Smith is going to be the one to watch.  He is going to cost a lot of money and i don't know where it is going to come from.

He is making what now? 2 mill? Is that right? 

Imagine going from 2 mill to 40 mill.....staggering. 

Hmmm to project that into real peoples salary. CRAZY. 

38 minutes ago, Hefty Smurf said:

I think Jones is expendable.  I really think he was over hyped last year.  Teams went away from him because they felt they could attack the rookie easier, but Jones got exposed a lot when teams went at him.  Jaylon Smith is going to be the one to watch.  He is going to cost a lot of money and i don't know where it is going to come from.

La'el Collins is also expendable.  He's only going to get even more mediocre as a tackle from here on out and the Cowboys are swimming in young guards so he can't move back there either.

1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

La'el Collins is also expendable.  He's only going to get even more mediocre as a tackle from here on out and the Cowboys are swimming in young guards so he can't move back there either.

No doubt.  Collins is done in Dallas at the end of his deal.  Conner Williams will more than likely move to RT and McGovern will move to Guard.

4 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

Where are you seeing this meltdown?  Dak is in camp taking care of his business.  Cooper is in camp taking care of his business.  Zeke is holding out, but he is not in the media everyday talking about his contract. What part of this is a meltdown?  Do you guys get news that the rest of the planet does not get where these guys are holding pressers everyday yelling and screaming about get me done right now. Things in Cowboys camp seem pretty low key at the moment.

Umm... Dak wants a huge contract? That you'll likely pay him. Zeke is holding out for a huge contract that you'll either give him or not. And if you don't then your offense takes a huge hit. An offense built around an elite run game. Oh and Cooper is going to get paid.