Sign in to follow this  
Jason1978

Dak reportedly turns down $30M/yr, wants $40M (ORIG POST: 8/11/2019)

On 8/12/2019 at 7:16 PM, Hefty Smurf said:

This guy has lost his ever loving damn mind.  He should have signed the deal for 30 mil before the ink dried.  Let him play it out and then Franchise him if no one better is available.  You have basically 2 years to find a replacement.

FB_IMG_1581698026357.jpg

So glad Wentz got his contract before Dak because Dak is going to mess up the QB market big time. Dude should not be getting paid that much

9 hours ago, mike030270 said:

So glad Wentz got his contract before Dak because Dak is going to mess up the QB market big time. Dude should not be getting paid that much

Yep. Many said so at the time. Get Wentz done, then hopefully Dak would command a much bigger deal afterwards. 

At first I thought franchising him was an absurd alternative but now, my goodness, do the Cowboys dare to NOT franchise him?

Certainly, you can’t pay him want he reportedly wants.

6 hours ago, Thrive said:

At first I thought franchising him was an absurd alternative but now, my goodness, do the Cowboys dare to NOT franchise him?

Well if they franchise him he will get paid what ever the top pay is for his position and it's all guaranteed then. So... Yeah they might as well just give him a contract he wants. Franchise tagging QBs is never a good idea

1 hour ago, bwestbrook36 said:

Well if they franchise him he will get paid what ever the top pay is for his position and it's all guaranteed then. So... Yeah they might as well just give him a contract he wants. Franchise tagging QBs is never a good idea

The Franchise Tag is the average of the top 5 players at that position, with some adjustment for salary cap increase.

It won’t be the top salary, but it will be 100% guaranteed.

Google Kirk Cousins career with the Redskins.

10 hours ago, Thrive said:

I would dare Dak to hold out. It won't do him any good. he'll miss out on $33.4M, plus teams may not be interested in him after a year.

4 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I would dare Dak to hold out. It won't do him any good. he'll miss out on $33.4M, plus teams may not be interested in him after a year.

I'm not sure teams will be that interested in him at that price anyway though?

13 hours ago, Vee said:

The Franchise Tag is the average of the top 5 players at that position, with some adjustment for salary cap increase.

It won’t be the top salary, but it will be 100% guaranteed.

Google Kirk Cousins career with the Redskins.

I knew it was a high number and it was an average of top something I was just to lazy to look it up lol. I knew it was guaranteed. 

The Kirk cousins situation is why I said it's a bad idea to franchise a QB. Cousins was not worth top 5 QB money and they franchise tagged him twice which was really stupid. If they would of just gave him a contract they would probably not of had to pay him so much just for him to leave anyways. 

9 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I knew it was a high number and it was an average of top something I was just to lazy to look it up lol. I knew it was guaranteed. 

The Kirk cousins situation is why I said it's a bad idea to franchise a QB. Cousins was not worth top 5 QB money and they franchise tagged him twice which was really stupid. If they would of just gave him a contract they would probably not of had to pay him so much just for him to leave anyways. 

What if they franchised Dak...at $27M...then drafted a QB in this upcoming draft?

Let Dak play it out, maybe blow it out and force you to "pay him what he wants" next year....or, draft a QB well and replace Dak after the season is over.

I believe, on that team, that Dak is replaceable.  I think with that O-Line and that RB, you can find another QB capable of producing at a much lower cap number.  If the gamble doesn't pay off, are you really any worse off?

32 minutes ago, Vee said:

What if they franchised Dak...at $27M...then drafted a QB in this upcoming draft?

Let Dak play it out, maybe blow it out and force you to "pay him what he wants" next year....or, draft a QB well and replace Dak after the season is over.

I believe, on that team, that Dak is replaceable.  I think with that O-Line and that RB, you can find another QB capable of producing at a much lower cap number.  If the gamble doesn't pay off, are you really any worse off?

I looked at the top 5 paid QBs so he would be in around the 31-32 million on the franchise tag. That's a lot of guaranteed money for 1 year, I'm not sure how that would affect their cap for free agency. 

I think that would piss Dak off even more because players hate the franchise tag and for them to also draft his replacement and they try to franchise him I think he will opt to not sign the tag. 

I agree with what you are saying though. I'm not so sure it would go down like that though. 

Just now, Captain F said:

Draft a QB this year and let Dak walk.  

But then draft who? I mean realistically let's say they go first round, who will likely be there for them? 

I actually think it's not a bad idea for them though. Especially with all the potential FA QBs available this off season. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But then draft who? I mean realistically let's say they go first round, who will likely be there for them? 

I actually think it's not a bad idea for them though. Especially with all the potential FA QBs available this off season. 

I think they could get Justin Herbert and be fine.  Possibly even Tua if Miami shys away because of his hip. I mean,  id love to see them pay Dak 40m a year, don't get me wrong. 

Just now, Captain F said:

I think they could get Justin Herbert and be fine.  Possibly even Tua if Miami shys away because of his hip. I mean,  id love to see them pay Dak 40m a year, don't get me wrong. 

I think they'd need to trade up to get either though even if Miami pass on a QB. But hey FA could change a lot.

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

They should just trade for stafford. If the lions think he's their answer they're even more poorly run than the cowpies. 

I completely agree that Stafford and the Lions need a divorce.  Stafford may not be the reason they haven't won anything while he's there, but they still haven't won anything while he's been there.  They both need a fresh start.  Stafford would be a monster in Tampa.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

I'm in the minority I guess but I think Dak can get 36-40m/yr on the open market.  We are talking about literally never before that a proven NFL starting QB hit the FA market at such a young age.  A team like the Titans, built beautifully for Dak with about $60m available and staring at the the proposition of paying ungodly money to the inferior Tannehill.  The Chargers are looking for a mobile QB and have a win now roster.  If we are talking bout 2021 the Saints could be in play:  Dak > Taysom Hill.  The Vikings will be over Cousins.  The Redskins could be sour on Haskins.  Panthers could be a good match.

Dak will have plenty of suitors.  Franchises who are ready to win and front office jobs that don't want to hang their hats on rookie Qb's coupled with a salary cap about to explode.

14 hours ago, Captain F said:

Draft a QB this year and let Dak walk.  

Couldnt that potentially waste Elliotts prime years though?

17 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

I looked at the top 5 paid QBs so he would be in around the 31-32 million on the franchise tag. That's a lot of guaranteed money for 1 year, I'm not sure how that would affect their cap for free agency. 

I think that would piss Dak off even more because players hate the franchise tag and for them to also draft his replacement and they try to franchise him I think he will opt to not sign the tag. 

I agree with what you are saying though. I'm not so sure it would go down like that though. 

They have over $77 million in cap space.  And 50 players signed.  In a vaccuum, it could be done.

The challenge is, they have a lot of free agents.  So they have to balance who to try to keep and who to let walk.  And Dak's contract will dictate some of that. 

PLAYER (31)
POS.
TO
2019 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Michael Bennett DE 34 DAL TBD $8,375,000 UFA -
Robert Quinn DE 30 DAL TBD $8,000,000 UFA Market Value
              -
Amari Cooper WR 26 DAL TBD $5,665,779 UFA Market Value
Randall Cobb WR 30 DAL TBD $5,000,000 UFA Market Value
Jason Witten TE 38 DAL TBD $4,250,000 UFA -
Cameron Fleming T 27 DAL - $3,750,000 CO -
Sean Lee OLB 34 DAL TBD $3,500,000 UFA -
Christian Covington DT 26 DAL TBD $2,500,000 UFA -
Byron Jones CB 27 DAL TBD $2,150,485 UFA Market Value
Jeff Heath SS 29 DAL TBD $1,917,750 UFA -
Joe Thomas ILB 29 DAL TBD $1,800,000 UFA -
Tavon Austin WR 29 DAL TBD $1,750,000 UFA -
L.P. Ladouceur LS 39 DAL TBD $1,030,000 UFA -
Kerry Hyder DE 29 DAL TBD $1,000,000 UFA -
Kai Forbath K 32 DAL TBD $930,000 UFA -
Malcolm Smith OLB 31 DAL TBD $930,000 UFA -
Maliek Collins DT 25 DAL TBD $887,545 UFA -
Xavier Su'a-Filo G 29 DAL TBD $822,500 UFA -
Ray-Ray Armstrong ILB 29 DAL TBD $805,000 UFA -
Darian Thompson FS 26 DAL TBD $720,000 UFA -
Justin March OLB 27 DAL TBD $720,000 UFA -
Dak Prescott QB 27 DAL TBD $680,848 UFA Market Value
C.J. Goodwin CB 30 DAL TBD $675,000 UFA -
Daniel Ross DT 27 DAL TBD $645,000 RFA -
Anthony Brown CB 26 DAL TBD $618,737 UFA -
Kavon Frazier S 26 DAL TBD $610,089 UFA -
Blake Jarwin TE 26 DAL TBD $563,867 RFA -
Cooper Rush QB 26 DAL TBD $556,667 RFA -
Antwaun Woods DT 27 DAL TBD $525,000 ERFA -
Adam Redmond C 27 DAL TBD $525,000 RFA -

Do people forget how mediocre Dak was before they traded for Amari Cooper?  I don't know how they sign Dak to this much money without Amari.  He's a mid-level talent at best.  He needs all the help.   

3 hours ago, paco said:

The challenge is, they have a lot of free agents

My goodness, I knew they had some moves to make but damn. Yeah I don't think franchising Dak would be wise. Looks like it would make their decision process on other guys more difficult. 

they should just resign the whole team and go after Teddy. Would cost you half what Dak wants and let him "test" the market.

Dallas imo would be better but it would feel so sweet to see Dak cry in FA.