Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Cowboys come to a contract extension agreement with ...

Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith agrees to contract extension

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/08/20/sources-cowboys-lb-jaylon-smith-agrees-contract-extension

A contract extension for a young Dallas Cowboys star has been locked down.

It's not Ezekiel Elliott or Dak Prescott. 

Linebacker Jaylon Smith agreed to a new long-term deal with the Cowboys on Tuesday.

The Cowboys have scheduled a 4:30 p.m. press conference to officially announce the signing.

After dealing with a devastating knee injury early in his career, Smith is coming off his first season starting all 16 games for the Cowboys. He recorded 121 total tackles, four sacks and two forced fumbles. He is part of a young linebacker duo with a lot of promise, especially if the Cowboys can figure out a way to sign both Smith and Leighton Vander Esch to long-term deals.

"At some point, the elite players have to receive their investment," Smith said about contract negotiations last month on Sirius XM Blitz on NFL Radio. "For me it's just about embracing the season I'm in. ... When it's time for Jerry (Jones) to cut the check, it will happen, but I just got to embrace where I'm at. I'm blessed for sure."

Smith was headed toward restricted free agency after the 2019 season, but both sides were able to come to an agreement before then.

34 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

So what about Dak, Zeke, and Cooper? Didn't know Jalen was up for a contract lol

He was going to be a restricted FA after this year.  Why would he not be up?

1 hour ago, Hefty Smurf said:

He was going to be a restricted FA after this year.  Why would he not be up?

I think his point was that he wasn't aware that he was headed for RFA, or how long he'd been in the league to know he was eligible for an extension.

Honestly Zeke would have been signed already if Dak took a salary less than 30 mil. I don't think Dallas truly believes Dak is worth more than that.

14 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Honestly Zeke would have been signed already if Dak took a salary less than 30 mil. I don't think Dallas truly believes Dak is worth more than that.

Dak has nothing to do with Zeke lol. That makes no sense. Cowboys have plenty of salary to sign Dak, Amari and Zeke. The problem is negotiations. Zeke wants guaranteed money and they probably don't want to offer that. And form what I see in Dak's camp they too want guaranteed money. People are too caught up on the per year money. The real deal is guaranteed money. 

13m$ a year seems like a ton for guy who was good for 1 year to get top 5 money.

Either than or the Bradham deal is looking better and better all the time.

17 minutes ago, Havenless said:

13m$ a year seems like a ton for guy who was good for 1 year to get top 5 money.

Well factor in what everyone else gets..if Alec Ogletree makes 10 million then 13 for Smithis a bargain. 

1 hour ago, letsgetit said:

Dak has nothing to do with Zeke lol. That makes no sense. Cowboys have plenty of salary to sign Dak, Amari and Zeke. The problem is negotiations. Zeke wants guaranteed money and they probably don't want to offer that. And form what I see in Dak's camp they too want guaranteed money. People are too caught up on the per year money. The real deal is guaranteed money. 

No sheet 

2 hours ago, Havenless said:

13 a year will end up being a steal for Smith.  He is young, looks fully recovered from his injury that cost him being a top 5 pick, and he is a model citizen.  Pair him with LVE and Dallas is set at LB for the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, bwestbrook36 said:

No sheet 

This is funny but obviously that poster "isn’t from around here” so I feel bad laughing.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Any word on the numbers? Because this has the potential to be a fairly big contract. 

5 years 64mil. 35 guaranteed.

41 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that's not insignificant that is it...

I think it is pretty fair for what it is.  He is young and definitely  has a ton of upside.  Everything i have read on it say the Cowboys got a steal on this deal.  We will see how it works out.  I like the message it sends more than anything.

55 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that's not insignificant that is it...

Looks like Dallas had $23 Million in cap space before this extension. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/ I don't know how this extension will affect this, but Jones could be looking to extend multiple players to eat up a good chunk of that cap space and then tell Ewok that they don't have the cap space to extend him.

That would be the smart thing to do (extend multiple players, using the cap space wisely), and not use it all up on a single player.

Here's to hoping they don't do the smart thing...

Smith was a smart re-signing and the #'s make sense. It was a rare good contract move by the Brokeback Mountaineers. 

10 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Looks like Dallas had $23 Million in cap space before this extension. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/ I don't know how this extension will affect this, but Jones could be looking to extend multiple players to eat up a good chunk of that cap space and then tell Ewok that they don't have the cap space to extend him.

That would be the smart thing to do (extend multiple players, using the cap space wisely), and not use it all up on a single player.

Here's to hoping they don't do the smart thing...

From Dallascowboys.com "... So Jaylon basically gets his guarantees, a $5 million signing bonus and a significant raise two years early. All this only costs the Cowboys an extra $500,000 against the 2019 salary cap. So look, there is "pie” left for Zeke, Dak and Amari."

6 minutes ago, echosam said:

From Dallascowboys.com "... So Jaylon basically gets his guarantees, a $5 million signing bonus and a significant raise two years early. All this only costs the Cowboys an extra $500,000 against the 2019 salary cap. So look, there is "pie” left for Zeke, Dak and Amari."

Earlier today, I heard on SiriusXM (I think), that it was something like $795,000 for this year.

17 hours ago, Hefty Smurf said:

I think it is pretty fair for what it is.  He is young and definitely  has a ton of upside.  Everything i have read on it say the Cowboys got a steal on this deal.  We will see how it works out.  I like the message it sends more than anything.

Certainly nothing wrong with the deal for Smith who's a really good player with a ton of upside. I just wonder what it means for Dak, Zeke and Cooper. Can't keep all players at top end money for their positions. 

Wide Eyes (JJ) Thinks he's sending Dak and Zeke the message that they have to be good little team players and accept what the pokes have on the table. Honestly, insinuating that your star RB, and Franchises QB (albeit very average qb) are being greedy and selfish to the public is a really dumb move. Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are not going to accept team-friendly deals and Wide Eyes can't handle it. I love it!

Jerry Jones South Park