Procus

Andrew Luck decides to retire

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

Nah. The Colts still have quite a bit of talent. They should still win at least 6 games. The Dolphins and Cardinals are most likely going to set the bar for futility this year.

It's gonna be a lot of teams putting their bids in for the worst...Dolphins, Giants, Jets, SF, Bills, Skins, Bengals, Lions all come to mind. I. Believe that's 8 of the 1st 10 picks.

BTW, don;t feel bad for the Colts.  That horseshoe pays in spades.  They will AGAIN have the perfect pick at the perfect time to get ANOTHER super franchise Qb.

Just saw this as I walked past a TV that had the news on, kind of shocked me. I feel bad for Frank losing his franchise QB like that, especially this late. Had Luck done this before free agency, maybe Nick goes to Indy.

10 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

He didn’t say because of injury- he said mentally worn.

Yeah, and why do you think he said he is mentally worn?

3 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

BTW, don;t feel bad for the Colts.  That horseshoe pays in spades.  They will AGAIN have the perfect pick at the perfect time to get ANOTHER super franchise Qb.

There are other bad teams out there that won't have a QB.  No guarantee they get the #1 overall pick.

17 minutes ago, BCEagle said:

Plausible

And you think Eli is going for that with the Colts' OL?  Have you forgotten what happened to his brother's neck in Indy?

D move by Shefter to report the news in the middle of the game, IMO. I perfectly understand that it's his job but watching Luck on the sidelines and then having to do that rushed PC...I don't know, it feels like this should have been done on the player's terms.

Too many injuries. Too much rehab. Too much stress.

There's a lesson in this retirement. if you're a QB who wants to last a long time, play smart and protect yourself.

5 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Too many injuries. Too much rehab. Too much stress.

There's a lesson in this retirement. if you're a QB who wants to last a long time, play smart and protect yourself.

It also helps to have a GM that's willing to put a solid O-Line in front of you. Ryan Grigson didn't do that.

Jerry Jones:  <ring, ring> "Andrew, this is Jerry.  Listen, we have a great offensive line and we don't want to pay Dak 35+ million a year. So, why don't you retire for this year and rest up and then next year...I will sign you for Dak's cash?"

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Jerry Jones:  <ring, ring> "Andrew, this is Jerry.  Listen, we have a great offensive line and we don't want to pay Dak 35+ million a year. So, why don't you retire for this year and rest up and then next year...I will sign you for Dak's cash?"

Can’t happen.  Colts own his rights until after his contract ends in 2020

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Can’t happen.  Colts own his rights until after his contract ends in 2020

I know it probably won't happen because of that. Plus, I think he isn't a guy who loves football anymore. But, I could see the possibility of Jerry tampering with other QBs when he's faced with the future of signing an average QB for a huge contract. 

Here's a link to the Colts Board. Their fans are trying to process the news.  https://forums.colts.com/topic/62828-breaking-andrew-luck-retiring/page/21/

18 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

It also helps to have a GM that's willing to put a solid O-Line in front of you. Ryan Grigson didn't do that.

I won't dispute that sentiment, and Grigson did him no favors. In the end, you play the hand you're dealt. I always thought Luck was wont to sacrifice himself in the moment, and while that's commendable, a shortened career is the inevitable result.

27 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

21 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I suspect the NFL would in that scenario "strongly suggest" to Irsay he allow Luck to go elsewhere if after say 2020 Luck wants to come back, but not to the Colts.  The NFL I think privately regrets not doing that when Barry Sanders retired because he no longer wanted to play for the Lions and not "strongly suggesting" to the Lions he be traded elsewhere so he could break records.  

4 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

I suspect the NFL would in that scenario "strongly suggest" to Irsay he allow Luck to go elsewhere if after say 2020 Luck wants to come back, but not to the Colts.  The NFL I think privately regrets not doing that when Barry Sanders retired because he no longer wanted to play for the Lions and not "strongly suggesting" to the Lions he be traded elsewhere so he could break records.  

No, the Colts hold his rights until 2021, it's the same as it was for Marshawn Lynch when he retired, only to unretire so the Seahawks could trade him to the Raiders. Just like Calvin Johnson couldn't come out of retirement and play for anyone else while the Lions still held his contractual rights.

13 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

No, the Colts hold his rights until 2021, it's the same as it was for Marshawn Lynch when he retired, only to unretire so the Seahawks could trade him to the Raiders. Just like Calvin Johnson couldn't come out of retirement and play for anyone else while the Lions still held his contractual rights.

He isn't it weird that RG3 last more in the NFL the Luck.

Better for him to retire and work on his mental health than to keep playing and possibly to turn to substance abuse to cope. 

I hope the media continues to bring up the colts fans booing Luck  like they keep bringing up the santa incident from 50-60 years ago. 

1 minute ago, pisceschica said:

Better for him to retire and work on his mental health than to keep playing and possibly to turn to substance abuse to cope. 

I hope the media continues to bring up the colts fans booing Luck  like they keep bringing up the santa incident from 50-60 years ago. 

Yep. It's his health. He has to look out for himself. Although, he is probably going to have to move out of that city. 

5 minutes ago, pisceschica said:

Didn't you guys booed Santa?

2 minutes ago, DakZekeDez said:

Didn't you guys booed Santa?

Santa isn't real.  

Sad news for the NFL and NFL fans. Hopefully he gets it together and his health and outlook on life improve. There is going to be a lot more to this story. And I think the Colts FO, owner, and medical staff played a big part in it.