Sign in to follow this  
Captain F

Why are NFL refs this bad?

I don't see the same kind of issues with the other 3 pro sports refs.  What's the deal with NFL refs? It's every weekend.  Just about every game.  Bad calls, missed calls,  whatever.  Its not just the Eagles. It's league wide.  One thing i have noticed is that a lot of the refs are at least twice the age of the players.  Is the game just too fast for them? 

It's bad, but the rules have become so subjective and focused on dissecting the play in real time that they're really not doing the refs any favors. I think it's making a bad situation worse.

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It's bad, but the rules have become so subjective and focused on dissecting the play in real time that they're really not doing the refs any favors. I think it's making a bad situation worse.

That is actually what I was gonna say they have to many judgement calls to make in a split second. 

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

nailed it

NFL referees make $200,000+ a year; don’t they work part time? :o

To answer your question I would say age and subjectivity/judgment involved. 

5 minutes ago, pisceschica said:

NFL referees make $200,000+ a year; don’t they work part time? :o

To answer your question I would say age and subjectivity/judgment involved. 

They make $200k? WTF?!?

Have the league got an issue with appealing to younger officials? Because the point about the officials being twice the age of the players does seem to hold some truth. And also would it be worth having a number of officials who played the game at a high level? As a result their perception may be slightly different. 

The NFL added rules that are just downright bad and illogical. The refs have been inept for years but adding rules that cant be properly enforced given the circumstances of the speed of the game/replay has only made a **** situation worse.

Also for whatever terrible reason, the refs are calling holding waaaayyyyy more then usual this year. I'm sure we all heard of the saying "there's holding on every play". Well it looks like it is being taken literally now.

I am also a firm believer that these refs cannot keep up with the game. These guys are way too old and when they started their referee career in the NFL the game was wildly different. They cant get used to the asinine rule changes and they cant keep up with the game.

These league just wants to keep making bad decisions. People will still keep watching, but with the widespread of legalized sports betting...things could get hairy with so many games being taken over by officiating every Sunday.

I think the refs should call all penalties. Rules are rules, minor or not. A hold is a hold. Now we them to step up and call them in our favor.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, Portyansky said:

I think the refs should call all penalties. Rules are rules, minor or not. A hold is a hold. Now we them to step up and call them in our favor.

To a certain extent but some of the ticky tack calls that are completely away from the play and kill drives are annoying.  Especially when they are steadily missing easy calls on the ball on big plays 

They’re too old. They can’t keep up with the speed or todays modern athlete. 6 year limit.

I agree with your overall point... I just disagree that you don’t see it in the other leagues. NBA officiating is a joke too. 

15 hours ago, nipples said:

I agree with your overall point... I just disagree that you don’t see it in the other leagues. NBA officiating is a joke too. 

its not the refs its the stupid NFL Football rules ....... go back to pee wee football rules:

at the top :

the ball comes out for any reason = fumble ...period ... play starts immediately

1 hour ago, flyeagles said:

its not the refs its the stupid NFL Football rules ....... go back to pee wee football rules:

at the top :

the ball comes out for any reason = fumble ...period ... play starts immediately

Did the rules play a factor in the missed return call against Sanders? Nope.

I've been watching football for 30+ years and while it's always been subjective, the play from the refs has gotten a lot worse in the last ten or so years. It was when Fantasy Football and football betting became wildly popular. Those garbage yards are critical to fantasy roster and those garbage points oftentimes can affect whether a spread is covered or not. All the while keeping people in the stadiums buying overpriced beer and food. 

I'm not saying that refs are directly dictating the outcome of the game but they definitely have their thumb on the scale. 

On 9/21/2019 at 7:33 PM, matchew88 said:

Because its unionized.

That doesn't make any sense. The NFLPA did not institute nor advocate these rule changes.

Miles Sanders was beyond lucky his helmet gave and flew off or his neck would have snapped like a twig on that one play.

fb63ff50-dd69-11e9-afdf-e774fee0026b

That entire crew from yesterday should be terminated for not throwing a single flag when Sanders was nearly decapitated. 

how in the ef did the entire crew miss that? smh

1 hour ago, NCTANK said:

how in the ef did the entire crew miss that? smh

It's made even worse when he's THE GUY WITH THE BALL! Doesn't at least 1 official watch the ball so they know when to blow the whistle after a tackle is made? No excuse for missing that.