Sign in to follow this  
opa-opa

How come Brady's receivers never drop passes

And why do ours drop so much. And it's not like the Pats always have all-world receivers. But seems like even their average WRs never drop a pass. 

It comes down to execution really. In 2017 this team executed almost perfectly and had a few lucky breaks go our way. So far this year we've not had those breaks.

48 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

In before this whole topic turns into how it's Wentz's fault.

I’m sure in 2016, or maybe a season before that, that everyone was blaming the qb for the multitude of drops we were seeing. Apparently every throw has to have the lightest touch on it, and gracefully fall in to the receivers hands, providing a gentle palm massage as it does.

These guys are being paid a ludicrous amount of money to drop passes that 90% of the posters on this board could probably catch.

Because they actually practice. Because they don't sign soft receivers. A guy like Agholor would never start for the pats

4 minutes ago, 97is said:

Because they actually practice. Because they don't sign soft receivers. A guy like Agholor would never start for the pats

Queue a move to NE next year where he's a star...

😂

They practice hard and knowing Belicheck they know if they drop a game winner they will not see the field. In our case the offender gets a pat on the back and some motivational b.s. Doug needs to be harder on his players.

7 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

They practice hard and knowing Belicheck they know if they drop a game winner they will not see the field. In our case the offender gets a pat on the back and some motivational b.s. Doug needs to be harder on his players.

Exactly.

Culture and accountability

Because Belichik and coaches like Nick Saban measure their teams against perfection, even in victory they'll sometimes **** in the post game presser about things that weren't right, Doug goes too far the other way, Doug's trying to be the players friend. 

Sometimes the situation demands you give kick them in the pants rather than put the arm round the shoulder.

Because the three receivers the Eagles had on the field (Aghalor, Hollins, Whiteside) probably do not play on 25 or so teams in this league...

Aghalor just sucks... I do not get why they are paying him $9 million this year... there were plenty of other WR they could have signed for that.

Hollins I give a pass... he himself even said hes a special teamer...

Whiteside is just not good... I am sorry... but after his eventless preseason... two starts where he did nothing... he is not a starting WR in this league... maybe he can be a decent 3 or 4 option I do not know... but seems like good starting WR instantly make plays, and that dropped catch at the end of the game was just a routine catch...

Really it all falls on the management... whoever drafts and decides what FA's to bring in... fact is they have not drafted a good receiver in over 10 years since Desean... Additionally, the only two NFL level WR on the roster are Jeffrey and Jackson (both 30 plus years old) and Jeffrey has not been healthy since his third year in Chicago and Jackson has not played a full season since 2013...

Because they keep guys who's best skill is there hands. That said they have had a few players over the years who couldn't catch that well and they got rid of them. Phillip Dorsett is there right now and doesn't have great hands but he's a stretch the field guy who isn't the go to man. Their go to guys have sure hands like Edelman, Gordon when he's playing, and even James white has solid hands. They also run simple routes and have a qb that will throw them open. Here comes the Wentz beech. He waits to long at times to throw the ball because he's waiting for the receiver to be open. Take for example the Sproles play in the fourth with helmet to helmet. Sproles was wide open but Wentz waited too long and by the time the ball go there Sproles was done for. 

4 minutes ago, aman88 said:

Aghalor just sucks... I do not get why they are paying him $9 million this year... there were plenty of other WR they could have signed for that.

He doesn't suck, he is just really inconsistent.  Sometimes, he flashes brilliance.  That TD run showed how well he can move with the ball.  His speed is good enough for him to get open a lot.  His problem is that for every outstanding play, he's got 2 that make you shake your head. He had a few really bad drops yesterday.  If he could eliminate those mistakes, he would be an outstanding football player.  

Our problem is that in his 5th year, he should not be making these mistakes anymore.  Some of that would be understandable from a rookie or maybe even a 2nd year player, but a vet receiver needs to figure things out.

We also had some uncharacteristic drops by guys that normally would make those plays.  How many of those TD passes does Goedert drop?  Maybe just a bad day.  Guys worked harder in practice than they were used to?

I'm just left to wonder if guys like Goeddert and JJAW actually did look good in camp because they are good or because they were going up against our soft secondary all camp.

well i think cause they played in preseason to get reps together in game action and they didn't get a rest day off during the week. the pats coach didn't take a super bowl team and make it soft the years after the win and write a book. doug's next book is how to screw up a winning franchise in 1 off season.

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

And why do ours drop so much. And it's not like the Pats always have all-world receivers. But seems like even their average WRs never drop a pass. 

because brady puts the ball in the right position for them to catch the ball.

Also applies to the Pats defense.  Have not allowed a touchdown. Where did this defense come from??? We just talk about break out season for Barnett???Bring in Jernigan, and Curry?? Jackson?? Yet our D Line sucks(do they even have any sacks-not counting blitzes)...Just frustrated that the Pats year in and year out have a very good defense with no-names.....I agree with the post-No Accountability)..."We have to do a better job"

17 minutes ago, vaeagle1 said:

well i think cause they played in preseason to get reps together in game action and they didn't get a rest day off during the week. the pats coach didn't take a super bowl team and make it soft the years after the win and write a book. doug's next book is how to screw up a winning franchise in 1 off season.

I think there is something in that, I said after the slow start last year, there are a lot of players who have the talent to win a superbowl given luck and the right circumstances, the special players are the ones who immediately want to climb the mountain from scratch again season after season. A lot of our players seem to have won their ring and taken their foot off the pedal psychologically, not much but it only takes fractions, especially when you draft as shoddily as we have lately.