AlpineEagle

Week 5: Rams @ Seahawks

Recommended Posts

Wow Rams drop another! Back to back losses. And I'm not sure what to make of Seattle either. Every year it takes weeks to figure out if they are a good team or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about NFL rules.

Question about NFL rules.

In tonight's Seahawks Rams game Seattle intercepted the ball with something like 2:08 in the fourth.
I don't recall where the ball was ... near their own 45?
If Seattle makes a first down the clock would be under two minutes and they'd be able to run out the clock.
So why doesn't Seattle have the QB receive the hike 20, 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage with all their players on the line.

Between the time to get the hike, the time it takes the defenders to break through, the time for Wilson to carry the ball further away, to throw it high, deep and out of bounds would not that eat 20 or 30 seconds?  

Then Seattle has three plays to run out the remaining time, which if under 1:30, means game over.

Is this a realistic strategy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

It's rare to get two good Thursday Night games in a row season.

Fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Fixed. 

Eagles @ dallas thurs oct 20th is going to be a great one.  As long as we win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Eagles @ dallas thurs oct 20th is going to be a great one.  As long as we win

Oh damn, I didn’t realize that was a Thursday game. Guess I ought to pay more attention to the schedule lol. I agree though. It’ll be great if we win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FleetwoodPC said:

Question about NFL rules.

Question about NFL rules.

In tonight's Seahawks Rams game Seattle intercepted the ball with something like 2:08 in the fourth.
I don't recall where the ball was ... near their own 45?
If Seattle makes a first down the clock would be under two minutes and they'd be able to run out the clock.
So why doesn't Seattle have the QB receive the hike 20, 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage with all their players on the line.

Between the time to get the hike, the time it takes the defenders to break through, the time for Wilson to carry the ball further away, to throw it high, deep and out of bounds would not that eat 20 or 30 seconds?  

Then Seattle has three plays to run out the remaining time, which if under 1:30, means game over.

Is this a realistic strategy?

It is not a realistic strategy, for multiple reasons. It would be risky and difficult for a center to snap the ball thirty yards. The defense would get there more quickly than you think. And you'd be losing a down, which puts you at SECOND down at the two minute warning. You can kneel THREE times at the two minute warning if the other team is out of time outs, as long as it's first down. But on second down, if you kneel three times, the other team would get the ball with about thirty seconds left.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russel Wilson firmly established himself as an elite Qb about 3 years ago.  He is now clearly the best Qb in the NFC and he had a great game last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wow Rams drop another! Back to back losses. And I'm not sure what to make of Seattle either. Every year it takes weeks to figure out if they are a good team or not. 

They are like the poor man's Patriots.  Wilson and Carroll will have them competing for a playoff spot no matter what.  Legit 3 way race in the West and after last night even harder to tell what order they finish in.  I do believe the wild cards will come from the West and East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Eagles @ dallas thurs oct 20th is going to be a great one.  As long as we win

That's a Sunday night game. I'm pretty sure each team only plays 1 thursday game a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am extremely concerned with how Schwartz and this defense is going to deal with Wilson. Let's not forget that the defense couldn't' get to Rodgers who has had a myriad of injuries the last 2/3 years. Yet, he was able to lead the Packers in rushing due to his escapability and the line not maintaining lanes. With Wilson, I think Schwartz needs to look at a couple of Jim Johnson specials. Johnson would often deploy a "mush rush" to defend Michael Vick in his Atlanta days. It often times was so much more effective than allowing the Dlinemen to simply rush the passer fully. Wilson is playing at a MVP level and, with our depleted secondary, the Eagles will clearly need to score and stop the Seattle run. Speaking of the Seattle running game, that Carson kid is the pick that Seattle used in the 7th rd. in the trade that Howie used to pick up Pumphrey in the 4th.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Eagles @ dallas thurs oct 20th is going to be a great one.  As long as we win

That’s a SNF game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now