Cthulhu

Jay Gruden let go...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2019/10/07/jay-gruden-coach-fired-washington-redskins/3895976002/

On the heels of their 0-5 start and yet another blowout loss, the Washington Redskins have fired coach Jay Gruden, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to USA TODAY Sports. 

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team had not yet officially announced the firing. 

‪With a six-year run that featured a 35-49-1 record and one playoff appearance, Gruden was the longest-tenured coach of Daniel Snyder’s 20-year ownership of Washington’s football team. 

However, that run produced only two winning seasons and just one playoff appearance. 

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan will take over on an interim basis, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Following Sunday’s 33-7 loss to New England, a game in which fans of the visiting Patriots overwhelming dominated the home crowd in number, Gruden acknowledged that he had received ample opportunities to turn the Redskins around. But he said as long as his key to Redskins Park still worked Monday morning, he would keep working to improve the team.

I don't normally have nice things to say about divisional opponents, but for 30 minutes you saw a team fighting for Gruden. That first half was nowhere near the blowout many expected. 

That guy seems well respected by those players, it's a part of the biz but he will find work as an OC somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Bruce Allen is the real issue there and he is still there.

Good.  

13 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

So is Dan Snyder, and he’s young enough still to be there a long long time. Hope he stays in good health. 

Why, what's the point? The Redskins aren't going to get any better this season. Do they want to give Bill Callahan a tryout for the job?

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

So is Dan Snyder, and he’s young enough still to be there a long long time. Hope he stays in good health. 

Yep. But, Snyder has some weird fascination with the Allens.  You would think that George Allen was Vince Lombardi with how Snyder reveres that family.

15 minutes ago, toolg said:

Why, what's the point? The Redskins aren't going to get any better this season. Do they want to give Bill Callahan a tryout for the job?

He might be the only choice. Who worth hiring would want that job?

Well, I might take it as long as I was certain the 5 year contract was FULLY guaranteed. Coach 3 games, get fired, profit!

56 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

He might be the only choice. Who worth hiring would want that job?

Well, I might take it as long as I was certain the 5 year contract was FULLY guaranteed. Coach 3 games, get fired, profit!

Coaches contracts are fully guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, CaliEagle said:

As long as he's there they will continue to be a bottom feeder dumpster fire

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Coaches contracts are fully guaranteed. 

They're theoretically fully guaranteed. Al Davis used to fire coaches "with cause" and not pay them what they were owed.

I expect his reaction was similar to Antonio Browns when the Raiders cut him.

They will play Haskins to determine whether they need to draft another QB with their top 5 pick in the draft. Haskins will likely stink as he isn't ready, and they'll finish with a #2 or #1 overall pick. It really isn't Dwayne's fault, he has few weapons to work with, and will be dealing with players who have already quit on the season. But it is what it is. 

I am shocked that none of the reporters asked if the dope smoking video had anything to do with them firing Gruden this weekend, versus keeping him for another few weeks. 

Week 5 is pretty early......

Yeah.... that was clearly a cigarette and even I'm not a big enough hater to pretend it was a joint.

10 minutes ago, paco said:

Yeah.... that was clearly a cigarette and even I'm not a big enough hater to pretend it was a joint.

Was it? I only watched it once quickly and moved on......I laughed at it more then anything. 

I was just saying, you know reporters, they like to ask stupid questions and Redskins chose to not comment over the weekend. 

Some guys are great coordinators but not necessarily great head coaches. Jay Gruden seems to fall into that category, not that there's anything wrong with that, especially since we've experienced success with Jim Schwartz at DC.

Then again, we have Mike Groh who is better suited at WR coach than offensive coordinator. I think Gruden would actually be a good addition to the Eagles staff as a "senior advisor" to the offense, basically to give Doug another experienced play caller and fill the role that Frank Reich had as the Eagles OC (assuming he doesn't get offered another HC job right away).

The Eagles should gladly let another team poach Groh for their coaching staff as HC this offseason (if a team is foolish enough). He can take Duce Staley with him too as OC.

It's so amazing that Bruce Allen still has a job.  He's botched so many personnel decisions.  He gave Jay Gruden the keys to a Honda Civic and told him to go win the Indy 500.  Somehow it was Gruden's fault for losing.  

7 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

It's so amazing that Bruce Allen still has a job.  He's botched so many personnel decisions.  He gave Jay Gruden the keys to a Honda Civic and told him to go win the Indy 500.  Somehow it was Gruden's fault for losing.  

He has one job and does it extraordinarily well:

Be the magnet that diverts criticism away from 'lil Danny