Cthulhu

Jay Gruden let go...

6 minutes ago, paco said:

He has one job and does it extraordinarily well:

Be the magnet that diverts criticism away from 'lil Danny

Allen is like the Rudy Guiliani of GM's.

I always thought of Jay Gruden as a pretty good coach. He never had much to work with while there and his guys seemed to play for him. But their personnel decisions have been terrible and they tend to add little from the draft as well. I think he should be happy he got fired mid-season. Let's him relax the rest of this season instead of dying with a sinking ship. 

I thought the Dolphins might go winless this season, but coming off a by against a team who were equally terrible and just fired their head coach... it's possible they get a win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Andy Reid found a place on his staff for him next year. He likes reclamation projects.

16 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

So is Dan Snyder, and he’s young enough still to be there a long long time. Hope he stays in good health. 

You're reading my mind.

Dan & Jerruh . . . perrrrrfect together . . . !! 

On 10/7/2019 at 8:48 AM, Maga301 said:

I don't normally have nice things to say about divisional opponents, but for 30 minutes you saw a team fighting for Gruden. That first half was nowhere near the blowout many expected. 

That guy seems well respected by those players, it's a part of the biz but he will find work as an OC somewhere. 

Translation: Snyder saw what happened with the Eagles game at the end of last season and their three home games this year where the visiting team's fans took over the stadium and turned them into defacto home games for them.  

On 10/7/2019 at 7:08 AM, Cthulhu said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2019/10/07/jay-gruden-coach-fired-washington-redskins/3895976002/

On the heels of their 0-5 start and yet another blowout loss, the Washington Redskins have fired coach Jay Gruden, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to USA TODAY Sports. 

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the team had not yet officially announced the firing. 

‪With a six-year run that featured a 35-49-1 record and one playoff appearance, Gruden was the longest-tenured coach of Daniel Snyder’s 20-year ownership of Washington’s football team. 

However, that run produced only two winning seasons and just one playoff appearance. 

Offensive line coach Bill Callahan will take over on an interim basis, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Following Sunday’s 33-7 loss to New England, a game in which fans of the visiting Patriots overwhelming dominated the home crowd in number, Gruden acknowledged that he had received ample opportunities to turn the Redskins around. But he said as long as his key to Redskins Park still worked Monday morning, he would keep working to improve the team.

Doesn't the OC usually get the interim job when a HC gets fired? To see it is the OL coach seems weird to me. 

7 minutes ago, back2nj said:

Doesn't the OC usually get the interim job when a HC gets fired? To see it is the OL coach seems weird to me. 

Typically, one of the coordinators gets named interim, but they may have gone with Callahan since he's been a HC before.

13 minutes ago, back2nj said:

Only one they could convince to take the job?

16 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Only one they could convince to take the job?

I didn't think of that ...but good point given the hot mess that team has been for awhile now.

Rex Ryan wants the job.  I have to admit that would make the rivalry fun again.  I actually think he's a good match for Snyder and for that young defensive front which is clearly what they have to build around going forward.

Just now, dawkins4prez said:

Rex Ryan wants the job.  I have to admit that would make the rivalry fun again.

I actually think he's not a bad shout. I certainly don't think he's as bad as some have made out.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I actually think he's not a bad shout. I certainly don't think he's as bad as some have made out.

It's good match for Snyder.  As long as they are competitive and interesting enough to put butts in the seat he would be happy.  If nothing else he would unleash that young DLine.

Redskin fans sure have had their egos deflated over the last couple decades.

I feel for the suffering fan base who were always there, and loyal to the team week in and week out. Despite what you think of this pig nose wearing people in the stands that's fandom. That's what you want in your ballparks.

For the bandwagon jumpers that run their mouth when they have a winning season, and hide at all other times it's good that we don't see you 90% of the time. Stay away… Your own fans don't even want to see you here.