Sign in to follow this  
pliny

Micheal Bennett Suspended by Pats

I'll bet Howie is racing to the phone as we speak. Keep a close eye on this situation, and let us know how it works out!

12 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

*Michael*

I never understood how people get this wrong with so many famous ones both alive and dead

23 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

I never understood how people get this wrong with so many famous ones both alive and dead

They probably think it's French or something.   Anything longer than four letters can really throw some people off.

Why didn’t the Patriots just cut Michael Bennett?

Posted by an Idiot on October 15, 2019, 6:26 PM EDT

gettyimages-1175336975-1-e1571178275844.
Getty Images

The Patriots don’t mess around with players who break the rules. They fire them. So why didn’t they fire Michael Bennett on Tuesday?

The short answer is they still could. The longer answer is that they likely don’t want him to end up playing for the Ravens, Texans, or Chiefs — teams that the Patriots will play over their final 10 games of the regular-season and teams they may see again in the postseason.

Before the trade deadline, any vested veteran who is cut instantly becomes a free agent. After the trade deadline, the player must pass through waivers. Thus, the worst teams would get dibs on Bennett, reducing the chance that he ends up with a contender the Patriots may encounter in January.

Then there’s the possibility of trading Bennett to a team in the NFC, or to a midlevel contender in the AFC about which the Patriots aren’t overly concerned. The Patriots could basically give him away for far less than he’s worth in order to get him out of the conference, like they did when they got only a second-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo in 2017.

Regardless, the Patriots do everything with a broader strategy in mind, and they surely didn’t want to make a player whom they were obsessed with containing in Super Bowl XLIX available to their top rivals in the chase for a spot in Super Bowl LIV. And even though Bennett has issued a statement apologizing for whatever it was that got him suspended for a week, there’s a chance that he or the team or both are ready to move on. For the Patriots, there are many reasons to wait two weeks before doing so.

21 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

They probably think it's French or something.   Anything longer than four letters can really throw some people off.

I'm not sure why people are joking about it but bringing Bennett back would be an instant upgrade to the D Line.  We could then play both Cox and Graham (who has been better) on the inside with Bennett and Barnett on the outside.

2 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I'm not sure why people are joking about it but bringing Bennett back would be an instant upgrade to the D Line.  We could then play both Cox and Graham (who has been better) on the inside with Bennett and Barnett on the outside.

They aren't going to trade for him after they shipped him off. If he's cut, maybe it's a different story.

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Actually we should have. 

Exactly. 

I can't believe some fans still have some sort of "Holier than thou" attitude when it comes to this team.  This team just got humiliated on both sides of the ball, up and down the field this past Sunday.  I couldn't care less if a guy has issues somewhere else....he was fine when he played here and was our best edge rusher...PERIOD.  Bring him back.

Just now, Don Corleone said:

They aren't going to trade for him after they shipped him off. If he's cut, maybe it's a different story.

Check out the article...it looks like they wouldn't have to give much of anything up for him.  Probably a backup player or future considerations.  The Pats might be happy with us just taking on his salary, tbh.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

While I don’t think there’s even a chance, I’d love to ship Agholor for Bennett and a 6th or something. Word is they are into Aggy.

Just now, Kasanova King said:

Check out the article...it looks like they wouldn't have to give much of anything up for him.  Probably a backup player or future considerations.  The Pats might be happy with us just taking on his salary, tbh.

Not gonna happen.

Also, he'd probably still be here if he wasn't on national tv saying he wanted more money that he wasn't going to take a pay cut.

1 minute ago, gaitherfan said:

Word is they are into Aggy.

I don't know about that. There's a report from Jeff Howe of the Athletic that says they're in a market for a WR and then he mentions Agholor as one of the WR's being a potential trade candidate.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Not gonna happen.

Also, he'd probably still be here if he wasn't on national tv saying he wanted more money that he wasn't going to take a pay cut.

He's making 5.6 million this year and 8.2 million next season.  The Eagles would be foolish not to at least take a shot at bringing him back...especially if it's for next to nothing.

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I don't know about that. There's a report from Jeff Howe of the Athletic that says they're in a market for a WR and then he mentions Agholor as being a potential trade candidate.

There have been multiple rumors linking them to interest in Aggy. Perhaps that’s real, perhaps not. But if they are, it wouldn’t be bad to explore Bennett returning as part of the package. He left for more playing time and has gotten far less. I suspect that’s what he and the unnamed coach got into it about.

9 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Times change and the Eagles are in a different situation now

3 minutes ago, gaitherfan said:

There have been multiple rumors linking them to interest in Aggy. Perhaps that’s real, perhaps not. But if they are, it wouldn’t be bad to explore Bennett returning as part of the package. He left for more playing time and has gotten far less. I suspect that’s what he and the unnamed coach got into it about.

I suspect those numerous reports are based off of Howe's article.

He wanted more money and publicly stated he wasn't taking a pay cut, so the dealt him, they aren't likely to trade for him to bring him back.

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Times change and the Eagles are in a different situation now

lol again, they aren't likely to trade for him.

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

He's making 5.6 million this year and 8.2 million next season.  The Eagles would be foolish not to at least take a shot at bringing him back...especially if it's for next to nothing.

It doesn't matter, the Eagles aren't likely to trade for him