Don Corleone

Rams acquire Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey

Funny enough someone else made this comment but it stuck with me. Maybe Howie didn’t pull the trigger because he feels this is an 8-8 team. The pick would be to high compared to say a 10-6 Rams.

I think Howie really over values his picks, which he should honestly. If 1 player is not good enough to fix the team this year. Then wait till off season next year to fix everything. We are losing a lot of players next year and will be like a mini blow up in the team.

I personally would have done 2 1st for a player like him. Ramsey is a game changer, but as everyone has said. This is a team game. That being said. Still would have been nice to finally have a legit shutdown corner wearing our colors. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Nnamdi Asomugha.

12 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

$108 million in 5 players.

Gurley and Cooks aren't going to be in the long-term plans. They can find a poor-man's deep threat to complement Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp in free agency. The Rams can always run a RBBC with Malcom Brown, Darrell Henderson, and a 3rd RB acquired through the draft.

The cost was too much. The Eagles need to find a a way to get extra early picks, not fewer.

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Gurley and Cooks aren't going to be in the long-term plans. They can find a poor-man's deep threat to complement Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp in free agency. The Rams can always run a RBBC with Malcom Brown, Darrell Henderson, and a 3rd RB acquired through the draft.

Let's look at Cooks first. If they cut him after this year, they're looking at a $21.8 million cap hit, if they trade him, that cap hit decreases by $4 million to $17.8 million cap hit. 

If the rams cut Gurley after this season, they're looking at a $25.650 million cap hit, if they trade him that cap hit decreases by $13 million to $12.6 million. However, good luck getting a team to trade for him with his suspect knee while taking on his contract.

So it's not as though they can just easily move on from those two.

I sure as hell would not want Howie to do that trade.  It would have been his official  beginning of the end.  Let Snead be that guy. 

BTW, Khalil Mack just wanted a contract there was no real issues with him, wanted to be a Raider no matter how bad they were.  Ramsey forced his way off a playoff hunt team with a pretty good defense.  Owner really wanted to pay him.  Elite pass rusher > shutdown corner.  This smells bad for Rams.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, eaglezfan4lyfe said:

You dont give up all your draft picks just because you havent been great at drafting. They did win the superbowl if I remember correctly. Couldnt have drafted that terribly. 

Too many of our core players are among the oldest in the NFL, that we're going to have to start replacing. Starting with this up coming off season. And thus we are going to need all the draft picks we have/acquire. But we do know that you're not going to hit on everyone you draft.

As for Ramsey, it will be interesting to see if he plays this Sunday...since he was supposedly dealing with a severe back injury. Though it was never revealed  publicly just what kind of back injury he was dealing with, such as Wentz's was by the  Eagles last season. 

Many of their fans believed he was faking it...so that the very thing that did happen, would happen. To me that is a selfish player. And not someone I would want on  the team I support.
No matter how good of a player one believes himself to be, he still needs his teammates to do their jobs before he has a chance to do his; more times than not, given his position as a player.

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Let's look at Cooks first. If they cut him after this year, they're looking at a $21.8 million cap hit, if they trade him, that cap hit decreases by $4 million to $17.8 million cap hit. 

If the rams cut Gurley after this season, they're looking at a $25.650 million cap hit, if they trade him that cap hit decreases by $13 million to $12.6 million. However, good luck getting a team to trade for him with his suspect knee while taking on his contract.

So it's not as though they can just easily move on from those two.

Good points, I was not aware of how their contracts were structured specifically. In that case, the Rams are stuck for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Good points, I was not aware of how their contracts were structured specifically. In that case, the Rams are stuck for the foreseeable future.

For at least the 2020 season.

18 hours ago, eaglezfan4lyfe said:

I thought it was a good mix. I dont remember any free agent or traded for superstars that helped us win who we paid huge money to or traded multiple picks for.

I didn't say we paid huge money to anyone that year.  I just said the team was full of veterans either through free agency or trades not homegrown talent. 

17 hours ago, Procus said:

Let's see what the Bears win with Khali Mack on the team.  My guess is that while he's a good player, he won't move the needle that much.

You throw 2 first round picks at players you build your team around - not emotional wrecks who effectively hold their way out of contracts.

The difference is we have Carson Wentz and the Bears have Mitchell Trabisky.  

9 hours ago, Sturm said:

I personally would have done 2 1st for a player like him. Ramsey is a game changer, but as everyone has said. This is a team game. That being said. Still would have been nice to finally have a legit shutdown corner wearing our colors. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Nnamdi Asomugha.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/16/deion-sanders-jalen-ramsey-may-not-be-with-the-rams-for-very-long/

Deion Sanders: Jalen Ramsey may not be with the Rams for very long

Posted by Mike Florio on October 16, 2019, 12:16 PM EDT

gettyimages-894852888-e1571242521335.jpg
Getty Images

Cornerback Jalen Ramsey officially is a member of the Rams. So how long will that continue?

Maybe not very long.

By giving up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to acquire Ramsey, the Rams supposedly want Ramsey for years to come. But they have Ramsey under contract for only the next 26 games, before the franchise-tag dance would begin. One former player who knows Ramsey believes that Ramsey may not be with the Rams for five or six years, or more.

"One thing is that Jalen is a businessman,” Hall of Famer Deion Sanders, who like Ramsey played at Florida State, said on NFL Network. "Secondly, I don’t feel like the Rams are the Rams of old. Thirdly, taxes . . . Taxes in California, the cost of living in California is not feasible to a guy who’s just coming out of Florida. . . I don’t know if this is a situation that’s gonna last over a year. This may be for right now.”

Florida has no state income tax. In California, state taxes take 13.3 cents from every dollar earned.

This makes the decision to trade for Ramsey without a new deal even more surprising. He now has greater leverage in the contract talks to come; at a minimum he’s going to want the Rams to "gross up” his bonus and salary to compensate him for the difference between a state with no taxes and the state with the most.

Sanders definitely considered those factors when he became a free agent after the 1994 season. He said that the Raiders were the highest bidder, but that he took less from the Cowboys.

"I wanted to go to Texas,” Sanders said. "No state taxes there, baby.”

Apart from the issue of taxes, Ramsey may not want to simply be the highest-paid cornerback, which currently has a top-of-market value of $15.1 million per year. He may want to be paid like linebacker Khalil Mack, who gets $23.5 million per year. Indeed, the Rams gave up more to get Ramsey than the Bears gave up to get Mack.

Then there’s the fact that Ramsey may not want to stay in L.A. if he doesn’t believe the team has the foundation in place for sustained success. And if Ramsey wants out, he knows how to make that happen. Indeed, he has just created the bad-back playbook in order to make his exit from Jacksonville.

If that happens, it could be disastrous for the Rams, who could have gotten up to 160 games from those two first-round picks and another 64 from the fourth-round selection sent to the Jaguars. In the end, the question becomes whether their return for Ramsey via a second trade matches what they gave up to get him.

3 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

The Rams haven't had a 1st round pick since 2016 and won't have one till 2022. 

I wonder how long it’ll be til they wished they didn’t have a pick in 2016 either. 

9 hours ago, Procus said:

I remember the tax thing was brought up before with Ramsey. I don't know if that really has merit. 

But nowadays, many of these high profile players seem to last but a couple years with an organization. I'd love to know what team Jalen views as ideal. I sincerely hope he doesn't think Dallas is the best landing spot for him.

1 hour ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

I remember the tax thing was brought up before with Ramsey. I don't know if that really has merit. 

But nowadays, many of these high profile players seem to last but a couple years with an organization. I'd love to know what team Jalen views as ideal. I sincerely hope he doesn't think Dallas is the best landing spot for him.

I think Texas is the only other state without a state tax, (I could be wrong though) so hopefully he bolts to Houston if that’s part of his thinking. He would get to play the Jags twice a year. 

I'm going to go so far as to say this was one of those rare trades where both teams lost. 

For the Jags the 2 first rd picks+ are an excellent return, but how can they feel good about failing to re-sign the best defensive player they have ever drafted?  This team spent a lot of money on Foles because they felt they had a championship defense.  Without Ramsey there is no championship defense and now you have to wonder where exactly the entire franchise is at.

For the Rams, the O-Line has fallen off a cliff after years of overachieving, the Gurley contract looks hideous, the Goff contract simply bad.  McVay suddenly might be the worst head coach in his division.  They have been adding and subtracting big name players to that defense for years now and yet the SB, which they lost, is the only time they have EVER played to their potential as a cohesive unit.  So I'm supposed to believe that another splashy mid season deck shuffling will have them winning the SB with defense now?  There isn't a single chip left in Snead's hand.  Oh and Ramsey has no contract...

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think Texas is the only other state without a state tax, (I could be wrong though) so hopefully he bolts to Houston if that’s part of his thinking. He would get to play the Jags twice a year. 

Florida, Tennessee, and Washington have no income tax too.   So, he could go to Seahawks, Titians, Dolphins, Texans, Cowboys etc.

These are states with state tax less than 5%: Arizona (Cardinals), Ohio (Browns), Colorodo (Broncos), Illinois (Bears), Indiana (Colts), MA (Pats), Michicgan (Lions), NC (Panthers) AND PA (eagles and steelers).

He has a lot of options to save an extra 2 M a year.

49ers are going to be strong in years to come so there are two less freebies for Rams.  McVay is trying to save his job but Rams made a huge mistake.  Their pick in 2021 could be a top five pick.  

2 hours ago, recadna said:

49ers are going to be strong in years to come so there are two less freebies for Rams.  McVay is trying to save his job but Rams made a huge mistake.  Their pick in 2021 could be a top five pick.  

The Niners are playing really, really good football.  I think a large part of that is just pent up belief in themselves after 2 injury plagued years.  Funny thing is though, absolutely NOBODY is talking about Jimmy Garropolo.  We can't crown them as legit contenders this year, much less perennial contenders going forward, until we know more about Jimmy G.

As for the Rams, as many problems as they have, that is still a top 10-15 offense and with Ramsey they should be a top 15 defense as well.  It's hard to see them finishing under the Cards and the Hawks have a ton of issues that are being hidden by co-MVP Russell Wilson.  This is the only team to beat New Orleans and I still think they finish with 8-10 wins.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:26 AM, jfluke said:

It could be Coughlin just didn't want to work with Howie and the Eagles. Might have have bitter thoughts from both his time in NY, and what seemed an odd HC interview after the Giants canned him.

From what I've heard listening to some of their insider comments, is that Khan really didn't want to trade Ramsey. But when he didn't play (last week) after telling Khan in a private meeting that he would, just made it clear that things weren't going to improve. And the locker room had  begun to cool toward Ramsey considerably. Not knowing if he was going to play from one week to the next.

I mean you have a guy like Calais Campbell one of the oldest and most dedicated players on the team, going out there every game. Here was a young ,self centered young guy, acting like a spoiled brat.Demanding either a new multi million dollar contract or a trade. Who was still on in his rookie deal no less.

Glad we didn't do this trade.  I mean Ramsey stepped in not having played in 3 weeks, with 3 days of practice and shut down Julio while causing a fumble.