Sign in to follow this  
gauchogringo

Clowney's Stats at the Half-Way Mark

Jadeveon Clowney's stats:

2 Sacks,  2 forced fumbles, 10 solo tackles by the mid-point. 

Derek Barnett's stats:

3.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 13 solo tackles by the mid-point.

Maybe passing over on Clowney wasn't such a bad mistake as many here have made it out to be?  To paraphrase Chris Long's point, trading for Clowney would have meant reducing Barnett's time, especially because he didn't want to be in a constant rotation.  

Barnett has played pretty well this year and he's certainly not the problem... But having Clowney here would still of helped us. He's still a disruptive play maker that would have given us rotation.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Barnett has played pretty well this year and he's certainly not the problem... But having Clowney here would still of helped us. He's still a disruptive play maker that would have given us rotation.

I think this gets lost on a lot of people...A DE rotation with a player like Clowney could have been just what they needed. I wasn't excited when Long got here but the rotation usage with him was exactly what made the pass rush work so well. I thought the inclusion of Clowney would have been a perfect marriage in the same manner. They need DE pass rush help still and DE's are impossible to come by typically especially at the caliber of Clowney.

Certainly a better move to make than getting a freaking Golden Tate.

Clowney was/is such an overrated player. His last year at South Carolina should have been a red flag.

Glad Howie saw through the BS

59 minutes ago, gauchogringo said:

Jadeveon Clowney's stats:

2 Sacks,  2 forced fumbles, 10 solo tackles by the mid-point. 

Derek Barnett's stats:

3.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 13 solo tackles by the mid-point.

Maybe passing over on Clowney wasn't such a bad mistake as many here have made it out to be?  To paraphrase Chris Long's point, trading for Clowney would have meant reducing Barnett's time, especially because he didn't want to be in a constant rotation.  

How many times is Clowney double teamed vs Barnett? Or run away from. Or rolled out away from?  

5 minutes ago, Captain F said:

How many times is Clowney double teamed vs Barnett? Or run away from. Or rolled out away from?  

I was going to say the same thing. I don't watch any Texans games but it seems JJ's production has dropped since he left.

JJ Watts' production has arguably dropped due to age and accumulated injuries.  Regarding double teams, a DE who will reportedly command at least 20 million a year should have more than 2 sacks by mid-way point. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, russrock1 said:

I think this gets lost on a lot of people...A DE rotation with a player like Clowney could have been just what they needed. I wasn't excited when Long got here but the rotation usage with him was exactly what made the pass rush work so well. I thought the inclusion of Clowney would have been a perfect marriage in the same manner. They need DE pass rush help still and DE's are impossible to come by typically especially at the caliber of Clowney.

Certainly a better move to make than getting a freaking Golden Tate.

Before the trade occurred, it was rumored that Clowney didn't want to be in a rotation like that of the Eagles due to this being his contract a year, which could be another reason Howie passed on him.

9 minutes ago, gauchogringo said:

Before the trade occurred, it was rumored that Clowney didn't want to be in a rotation like that of the Eagles due to this being his contract a year, which could be another reason Howie passed on him.

Didn't hear that...shame if that's the case. As a more situational player it can inflate those sack numbers and make him look better. Less taxing on him and he can just tee off on the QB.

Enough with the clowney nonsense. The dude is an overpaid, mediocre pass rusher. Graham and Barnett are both better. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Clowney was/is such an overrated player. His last year at South Carolina should have been a red flag.

Glad Howie saw through the BS

ESPN made that guy a lot of money.

^^^^^^

This post is on point.

I will take and accept what the Eagles currently have. Just need to be consistently better.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wouldn't be worth the money that he will be demanding. We needed corners more.

7 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Still should have got him, that was the move. 

Why? He's just not that good. 

He’s not overrated. He had that micro fracture surgery on his knee that has severely hampered or killed the careers of many gifted athletes.  Greg Oden and Amar’e Stoudemire are two from the NBA that come to my mind.

Ever since that surgery he was always going to a shell of his former self. The very fact that he came back and continued to produce at whatever rate is a testament to what could have been if not for the injury + the Texans mismanaging the injury which led to him having that devastating procedure. 

3 hours ago, GoBirds2015 said:

He’s not overrated. He had that micro fracture surgery on his knee that has severely hampered or killed the careers of many gifted athletes.  Greg Oden and Amar’e Stoudemire are two from the NBA that come to my mind.

Ever since that surgery he was always going to a shell of his former self. The very fact that he came back and continued to produce at whatever rate is a testament to what could have been if not for the injury + the Texans mismanaging the injury which led to him having that devastating procedure. 

Dude there were already questions about him coming out of college. 

At the time I was Pro Clowney, I thought with him at the start of the season for sure we would win it all.

But Clowney can't cover WR nor can he catch the ball. The difference he would of made to this defense would of been little.

Then now with the power of hindsight, he is simply not producing. 

In 9 games he has 20 total tackles, 5 for a loss, 2 QB sacks, 7 QB hits.

Barnett for comparison has 19 total tackles, 4 for a loss, 3.5 QB sacks, 13 QB hits.

For all intents and purposes, Barnett has statistically outproduced Clowney. That's not to say their in the same situation, I'm sure Clowney see's more attention come his way.. but the same way we give grief to Cox when he doesn't play well given his $$ why is Clowney getting a pass on the boards. For 16$ million a year those numbers are putrid. The money that we have coming free would be better spent elsewhere.

11 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Clowney is a nice complementary rusher.  definitely not a guy to sell the farm for.

Good job Seattle didn't then.