Sign in to follow this  
VaBeach_Eagle

Rams send Aqib Talib and a pick to Dolphins

Rams send Aqib Talib and a pick to Dolphins

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/29/rams-send-aqib-talib-and-a-pick-to-dolphins/

The Dolphins are buyers at the trade deadline. Sort of.

The Rams sent Aqib Talib and a fifth-round pick to the Dolphins for a future pick, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Without knowing what the future pick the Dolphins are sending back is, we can’t really assess that trade, but it seems likely that the future pick is actually worse than that fifth-rounder, and this is actually the Rams unloading the remainder of Talib’s salary this season. Talib is a vested veteran, which means his full salary is guaranteed for the rest of the season, and the Rams would have been on the hook for the rest of his salary if they had released him.

Talib becomes a free agent after the season.

Whether Talib actually plays for the Dolphins remains to be seen. He’s currently on injured reserve, and the Dolphins may just leave him there for the rest of the year and pocket that pick from the Rams.

7 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Rams send Aqib Talib and a pick to Dolphins

This trade only makes sense if it's an NBA style deal, where the Rams are giving up better assets just to get cap relief.

If the Dolphins are getting a 5th rounder as well, that means they should only be sending a 6th or 7th rounder. If so, this is definitely a savvy move for a team that is obviously tanking. Just leave him on IR and take the pick.

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

This trade only makes sense if it's an NBA style deal, where the Rams are giving up better assets just to get cap relief.

If the Dolphins are getting a 5th rounder as well, that means they should only be sending a 6th or 7th rounder. If so, this is definitely a savvy move for a team that is obviously tanking. Just leave him on IR and take the pick.

Same thing the Browns/Texans did with Brock Osweiler a couple of years ago. Surprised it doesn't happen more often to be honest. 

So basically... the Phins have cap space so they take a pick and take the hit? Ok I mean it's an approach, not sure it's worth it for a fifth. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So basically... the Phins have cap space so they take a pick and take the hit? Ok I mean it's an approach, not sure it's worth it for a fifth. 

Assuming Talib can garner a decent contract in FA next year, there will also be comp pikz!!!!

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If they have the cap space, then there is no risk to Miami at all. They essentially got a free 5th rounder for using up a little cap space that they likely weren’t going to use this season anyway. Plus, like @paco mentioned, they can possibly get a comp pick as well. 2 free draft picks for simply stashing a guy on IR for a half season. I do that deal every time if I can. 

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

If they have the cap space, then there is no risk to Miami at all. They essentially got a free 5th rounder for using up a little cap space that they likely weren’t going to use this season anyway. Plus, like @paco mentioned, they can possibly get a comp pick as well. 2 free draft picks for simply stashing a guy on IR for a half season. I do that deal every time if I can. 

I agree with all of this but one minor detail.  Since unused cap rolls over, even if it wasn't used this year, they might be able to use it in a few years (assuming it keeps rolling over) when they decide to make a run.  

Being that said, and I haven't looked this up so is just hypothetical, if they are close to the rolling cap floor with the roster purge, this extra salary would actually be a benefit.  Gives them even more room to trade away remaining higher cost players for draft assets.    

20 minutes ago, paco said:

I agree with all of this but one minor detail.  Since unused cap rolls over, even if it wasn't used this year, they might be able to use it in a few years (assuming it keeps rolling over) when they decide to make a run.  

Being that said, and I haven't looked this up so is just hypothetical, if they are close to the rolling cap floor with the roster purge, this extra salary would actually be a benefit.  Gives them even more room to trade away remaining higher cost players for draft assets.    

Right, which is why I mentioned this year. I don’t know what Miami’s cap space is, or Talib’s remaining 2019 salary, but it’s unlikely that space is needed, (key word being needed) this year. They should still have plenty to roll over and it’ll net them two draft picks in the long run. Further, if they see this as being a long term rebuild, they may not be heavy spenders in free agency anyway, at least not until another year or two down the road. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-Green said:

Bet Talib is pretty pissed.... 

Why?

I'm guessing he's never going to put on a Dolphin's uniform.  He's ellibable to come back week 16 but I doubt they'll activate him. Most likely he'll be inactive the rest of the year and then as a FA he can pick any team he wants.  Honestly, this is probably the best thing for him.

20 hours ago, paco said:

I'm guessing he's never going to put on a Dolphin's uniform.  He's ellibable to come back week 16 but I doubt they'll activate him. Most likely he'll be inactive the rest of the year and then as a FA he can pick any team he wants.  Honestly, this is probably the best thing for him.

Yeah, but if he's going to be inactive the rest of the year, I'm sure he'd rather be on a team that has a chance of actually getting a Super Bowl ring. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-Green said:

Why are the Dolphins acquiring anyone in trades?

For them, it’s not really about acquiring the player. This was essentially a salary dump for the Rams. For Miami taking on his remaining salary, the Rams give Miami a 5th round pick for the favor. Miami also stands to possibly gain a comp pick when Talib leaves as a FA after the season. For Miami, this is more about getting more draft picks.